Laois Senior Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd

You're  spot on there. I'm from a smallish  rural club and it's hard  to get volunteers  to do anything.  I'd say starting a club would be nigh on impossible. Maybe a juvenile  club U13 down and set a target for adult football  in 6 years.  If parents  are helping  with kids then they're  more likely  to follow them up  the ranks too.  Enough  ground for a pitch might be a problem  too though

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on October 03, 2018, 03:34:36 PM
You're  spot on there. I'm from a smallish  rural club and it's hard  to get volunteers  to do anything.  I'd say starting a club would be nigh on impossible. Maybe a juvenile  club U13 down and set a target for adult football  in 6 years.  If parents  are helping  with kids then they're  more likely  to follow them up  the ranks too.  Enough  ground for a pitch might be a problem  too though

Im hearing there's a full sized 4g Astro turf pitch going into one of the second level schools in the town

Project cost close to the €1m mark

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: Laois Rising on October 03, 2018, 12:20:30 PM/

I would take a wager that the majority of youngster in Potlaoise have not been to see "their club" playing in any county final, name the players on the team or have even set foot inside O'Moore park for any championship game. It really is a huge issue for Laois GAA to try and readdress.     

Its an idea in isolation but could the county board not go to every school in Portlaoise (and killenard) and give every child a free ticket for the county final. Have a bit of fanfare about it. Give out a few prizes. I know they get in free anyway but it would raise awareness of the game especially in Portlaoise.

Jd

Good idea but could the respective clubs not do it anyway. Why are we expecting the co board to lead the most basic things. I bet O Dempseys have something set up for their juvenile section. For every 10 kids in a club group an adult goes free if arranged with co board

Laoiseabu

Anyone else think that Graiguecullen looked very poor and toothless in their semi final game . Was very poor for a team in the semis . I think they have regressed since Clancy took over . You'd think they would be better

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 03, 2018, 11:51:03 PM
Anyone else think that Graiguecullen looked very poor and toothless in their semi final game . Was very poor for a team in the semis . I think they have regressed since Clancy took over . You'd think they would be better

I wouldn't say they have regressed but certainly haven't improved too much. They have lost a few big names and now have a few young, small lads starting who will take time to reach the desired standard. Starting without the likes of Birdy Hand and Barry Brennan at midfield would weaken any team and thats where most of their problems lay this year.

Winning very little midfield ball means your forwards are starved of possession for long periods and your defence is under pressure. They also lost Ian Fleming, Kearney only played one game and Ambrose Doran was out all year with an injury. All that has to have an affect on a team so blaming Clancy is a bit of a cheap shot. I think he has done well with what he had to work with and has brought them to semi finals and finals since he became involved.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

Graiguecullen were in the relegation semi or final year before Clancy took over. 

Laoiseabu

Anyone can end up in a relegation semi sure ? O'Dempseys got relegated a few years ago , Stradbally were in relegation semis on a regular basis then won the championship out of nowhere . St Joseph's were in a relegation semi one year and then the rule book kept them and a couple of others up .

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on October 03, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

Im hearing there's a full sized 4g Astro turf pitch going into one of the second level schools in the town

who is paying for that ?

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on October 04, 2018, 09:43:34 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 03, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

who is paying for that ?

Portlaoise Gaa won't be asked to contribute,afaik

portlaoisekid

Would it be the norm for a GAA club to contribute to a school pitch?

Jd

Sure  isn't  there  one out in ballinakill  too and no club had to contribute  to it.  If it improves  the  infrastructure for games games development  in the county  then it's a positive step.

portlaoisekid

Thought as much.

If true isn't is fantastic for the GAA club players from the parish attending the school.

Laois Rising

Very cheap shot thrown at Graigue and Clancy on this forum. If you took four or five of the the most prominent players (e.g. O'Reilly, Fleming, Doran, Brennan) from any club team in Laois bar Portlaoise they would struggle badly and more than likely flirt with the relegation play-offs. A lot of young players given the chance this year and that orders well for them going forward. They will have benefited from the experience of this year. If they can keep that group of players together for the next year or two they should be competitive going forward.

I'm not sure what more they could have done this year. My reading of O'Dempsey's game was that the first goal proved the decisive score. Showed great character against Killeshin the first day and Timmons showed huge commitment and hunger driving the team forward in games. They very much looked like a team playing for their club and manager.