Laois Senior Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd

So because  Portlaoise  have huge  resources  does that mean the rest fold their tents up and leave  it to them.?? I mentioned  Port cos they have a big number  in that town too.  Are you or I gonna tell the two arles  to amalgamate? Perhaps Emo Courtwood O Dempseys and Port should all join up to create  a club half the size of Portlaoise  and maybe  they'll  catch them on the hop the odd time.  I suggested  that the bigger  towns and clubs take their youth development  a bit more seriously  and the results will come in time.  I read on laois today last week  that Courtwood  are the second smallest club population wise  in Laois........  Well through hard work at juvenile  and good management  they're  now senior,  they got three or four very talented  young fellas up and look a really good team. Why shouldn't  Port or Graigue  or even Mountmellick be capable of similar.  It's too easy to say that the resources aren't  there

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 01, 2018, 08:08:16 PM
What are the advantages of a new club in Portlaoise ? I want someone to answer
Youngster will get to play gaelic games.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Don Draper on October 01, 2018, 08:47:29 PM
Youngster will get to play gaelic games.
Are the youngsters interested ? Would there be enough of interest to sustain a new club?

High Fielder

Quote from: Jd on October 01, 2018, 08:41:02 PM
So because  Portlaoise  have huge  resources  does that mean the rest fold their tents up and leave  it to them.?? I mentioned  Port cos they have a big number  in that town too.  Are you or I gonna tell the two arles  to amalgamate? Perhaps Emo Courtwood O Dempseys and Port should all join up to create  a club half the size of Portlaoise  and maybe  they'll  catch them on the hop the odd time.  I suggested  that the bigger  towns and clubs take their youth development  a bit more seriously  and the results will come in time.  I read on laois today last week  that Courtwood  are the second smallest club population wise  in Laois........  Well through hard work at juvenile  and good management  they're  now senior,  they got three or four very talented  young fellas up and look a really good team. Why shouldn't  Port or Graigue  or even Mountmellick be capable of similar.  It's too easy to say that the resources aren't  there

You'll always get the odd purple patch as a small club or county and the best thing is to enjoy it while it lasts

Jd

[Probably  not many to the existing club  but if we want to broaden  the county  player  base then I would suggest  that a second club at the northern part of town might gather up players  who will otherwise fall through the cracks.  It's probably easier to get to agragar from O  Moore  place than it is to get out to the current  Portlaoise  pitch so a convenient  one at that end might get a few kids playing)

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 01, 2018, 08:49:25 PM
Are the youngsters interested ? Would there be enough of interest to sustain a new club?
Well they sure as shit aint getting it at the moment. From speaking to a GDA some youngsters in the schools in Portlaoise dont even know what Gaelic Games are. If you're content with allowing that continue then good luck to you.

Jd

So what would you suggest  cos all you have said is that Portlaoise are too strong with numbers  and the rest can't  compete and commentators  shouldn't be bothered  trying to suggest solutions.  I never  suggested  weakening  the current  Portlaoise  club cos I do admire  them but I suggest that they try to catch the lads that fall through  the cracks

clonadmad

Over 1100 boys in portlaoise parish national schools in 2017

8 years

Portlaoise take 30 per year that's 240 boys

Ratheniska/The Heath/Clonad  pick up another 200

That's 700 odd boys with no access to gaelic games in the parish of portlaoise

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on October 01, 2018, 09:20:18 PM

8 years

But shur its grand, its up to the other clubs to come up to Portlaoises level. Portlaoise are doing grand boss. Nothing to see here. Young Jimmy and Pavel can f**k off and play rugby, I'm sure they wouldn't have liked GAA anyway.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Jd on October 01, 2018, 08:55:23 PM
It's probably easier to get to agragar from O  Moore  place than it is to get out to the current  Portlaoise  pitch so a convenient  one at that end might get a few kids playing
It's a lot easier to get to Rossleighan Park (the soccer grounds) from Fairgreen than to Portlaoise GAA grounds. It's a big problem and needs to be addressed. There's probably hundreds of lads not being at least exposed to gaelic games in parts of the town.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Don Draper

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on October 01, 2018, 10:04:13 PM
Quote from: Jd on October 01, 2018, 08:55:23 PM
It's probably easier to get to agragar from O  Moore  place than it is to get out to the current  Portlaoise  pitch so a convenient  one at that end might get a few kids playing
It's a lot easier to get to Rossleighan Park (the soccer grounds) from Fairgreen than to Portlaoise GAA grounds. It's a big problem and needs to be addressed. There's probably hundreds of lads not being at least exposed to gaelic games in parts of the town.
Lets not beat about the bush here, Portlaoise's move saw them abandon huge parts of the town. Of that, there can be no argument.

Ogie

Hello Football Folk,

I'm a hurling man but would  be very interested to hear more detail on the Portlaoise set up & the culture created by Malachy McNulty, how their management team is set up & operates?
Ballyroan Abu referred to it & plenty of more Portlaoise contributors here, just as an overall interest in top class set ups with successfully clubs, very little detail out there,
Obviously he's a shrewd manager with mature, committed players, has anyone more of the nuts & bolts of the set up??

Would he be in line to replace John Sugrue down the line

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on October 01, 2018, 09:29:05 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 01, 2018, 09:20:18 PM

8 years

But shur its grand, its up to the other clubs to come up to Portlaoises level. Portlaoise are doing grand boss. Nothing to see here. Young Jimmy and Pavel can f**k off and play rugby, I'm sure they wouldn't have liked GAA anyway.

They ain't turning up in the Rugby club either,Portlaoise RFC is an amalgamation of outside gaa clubs,for example one juvenile squad of 30 players has 1 portlaoise gaa chap playing,there's multiple lads from shanahoe,camross,Castletown,Ballyfin,annanough on that team

Laoiseabu

At home on their Xbox's , PlayStations and phones is where a lot of them are at

Jd

No tradition  of rugby in schools in town so if parents  aren't  from that background  the kids will hardly be brought  to rugby.  However Gaa is in the schools and needs to be pushed  hard to get kids playing for the clubs. Laois gaa is in a better  place now than 12 months ago but we need to have kids down in local clubs kicking ball.  It's not like 40 years ago where kids disappeared  after school  and inevitably  arrived  down the field.  Now parents  have to bring em  down and supervise the session so kids will miss out.