Author Topic: Getting an Irish Passport  (Read 3999 times)

BennyCake

• View Profile
Re: Getting an Irish Passport
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »
Irish passport expires in 2013. Best method for getting another?

FL/MAYO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 09:27:05 PM »
My children were both on the U.S, both my wife and myself are Irish born.. We plan to move back to Ireland in two years time, can I just move back with the children or do I have to apply for an Irish passport for the children? They are automatically Irish citizens due to their parents been born in Ireland.

If you do not and enter Ireland on the US passports then they would be illegal after the 3 months or whatever.
i doubt they would be illegal if the are citizens ,  lots of irish citizens don't have a passport. they are only for entry and exit from the country
[/quot
That's my thinking also, but since they were born overseas there might be an issue.

FL/MAYO

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »
My children were both on the U.S, both my wife and myself are Irish born.. We plan to move back to Ireland in two years time, can I just move back with the children or do I have to apply for an Irish passport for the children? They are automatically Irish citizens due to their parents been born in Ireland.

If you do not and enter Ireland on the US passports then they would be illegal after the 3 months or whatever.

Is it just Irish passports they need or is there more to the process?

You will want PPS numbers for them for children's allowance and just about anything they need to register for (as foreign born children).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

Thanks Muppet, I'll need to find out my own also, I don't know if I have one to be honest. To get their PPS number the kids will probably need some form of I.D showing that they are legal residents, I might as well just apply for their Irish passports.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 10:10:53 PM »
There are free checkups for toddlers from the health service, but they'll need a PPS number. Any engagement with any State Services will probably need a PPS number. It won't be difficult to get as long, as long as a parent is a citizen, just a minor hassle.

Child applications
Children born in Ireland are usually given a Personal Public Service Number (PPS number) when their birth is registered with the General Register Office (GRO). This means you do not need to apply for a PPS number for an Irish-born child.

However a PPS number is not automatically allocated if both parents' addresses are outside of the State. If you need a PPS number in such a case then you must apply at a PPS number allocation centre.

PPS numbers for children living in, but not born in Ireland, must be applied for by the parent/guardian. One of the parents/guardians must have a PPS number for the child to be registered and linked with their data.

The parent, foster parent, guardian, or school representative should attend with the child, and provide evidence of his/her own identity, the identity of the child, evidence of the requirement for a PPS number, and evidence of the relationship between the parent/guardian and the child. Evidence of address should also be provided. The Department of Social Protection may make further enquiries where it is considered necessary to confirm the relationship between the child and the person requesting a PPS number.

A person aged less than 16 years is considered to be a child for PPS number allocation purposes.
MWWSI 2017

STREET FIGHTER

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 10:29:37 PM »
Your well fairly well up with your knowledge here Muppet....

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
Your well fairly well up with your knowledge here Muppet....

I have family members who went through it. Like I said, fairly straight forward. Some of these offices are happy to see a (rare) native walking in and just fly through your application.
MWWSI 2017

Kidder81

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
Renewed online, credit where itís due, itís a great service. 5 mins