Ulster Workers Strike 2024

Started by trailer, January 15, 2024, 12:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Not much chat about the strikes coming up on Thursday. Can't really see it having much effect other than to piss off those not striking. I see one of the Trade Unions is going full on militant and looking to block roads etc.
Have huge sympathy for Nurses, Doctors, Council workers, Translink staff and the rest but blocking roads and general civil disobedience might be a bit far.

Save for Teachers, who of course took the pandemic off, will find public sympathy in short supply and they'll need to tread carefully.

RedHand88

Aye Thursday morning should be good craic getting to work.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2024, 12:55:19 PMNot much chat about the strikes coming up on Thursday. Can't really see it having much effect other than to piss off those not striking. I see one of the Trade Unions is going full on militant and looking to block roads etc.
Have huge sympathy for Nurses, Doctors, Council workers, Translink staff and the rest but blocking roads and general civil disobedience might be a bit far.

Save for Teachers, who of course took the pandemic off, will find public sympathy in short supply and they'll need to tread carefully.
No point half assing it. An odd day here or there has no impact as well. Full strike to demands are met

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2024, 12:55:19 PMNot much chat about the strikes coming up on Thursday. Can't really see it having much effect other than to piss off those not striking. I see one of the Trade Unions is going full on militant and looking to block roads etc.

Have some for teachers as I'm married to one. She she been teaching for 25 years or so and back then it felt she was in a well paid job whereas now it's far from it.

The pay for the most junior of doctors is poor but their earning capacity is fairly significant across their career. They really are eroding a a lot of goodwill in England with multi-day strikes and they have been fairly creative in their reporting of their salaries e.g. using nett hourly rates etc.

tonto1888

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2024, 01:31:28 PM

Have some for teachers as I'm married to one. She she been teaching for 25 years or so and back then it felt she was in a well paid job whereas now it's far from it.

The pay for the most junior of doctors is poor but their earning capacity is fairly significant across their career. They really are eroding a a lot of goodwill in England with multi-day strikes and they have been fairly creative in their reporting of their salaries e.g. using nett hourly rates etc.

and how is that being creative

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 15, 2024, 01:37:13 PM

They don't get paid hourly.

quit yo jibbajabba

I've the MoT on Thurs, do I even bother washing the car? What's me chances sages of the board

tonto1888

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2024, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 15, 2024, 01:37:13 PM

They don't get paid hourly.

Its hardly being creative stating what their wage works out as on an hourly basis is it?

Kidder81

Do junior doctors pay not increase quite rapidly after the first year or two ? Unlike most in the public sector. I have no issue with that btw but some of the demands for 30% pay rises weren't exactly realistic

Rossfan

Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan going on strike???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

I see they are now suspending gritting for a full week. And the weather forecast is for snow and ice! It's gonna be madness on the roads.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2024, 03:20:56 PMI see they are now suspending gritting for a full week. And the weather forecast is for snow and ice! It's gonna be madness on the roads.

A strike that'll actually be felt!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2024, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2024, 03:20:56 PMI see they are now suspending gritting for a full week. And the weather forecast is for snow and ice! It's gonna be madness on the roads.

A strike that'll actually be felt!

Aye be felt alright when you drive into a tree... They'll get little sympathy when the first road death due to untreated roads hits the headlines
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Ah here. That's disgraceful. This will cause deaths and for what? A pound or two extra an hour?

general_lee

All the main routes are subcontracted out anyway, motorways and dual carriageways.