Getting an Irish Passport

Started by pullhard, May 28, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Irish passport expires in 2013. Best method for getting another?

FL/MAYO

Quote from: rosnarun on October 12, 2016, 12:05:05 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2016, 06:16:31 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on October 11, 2016, 06:14:55 PM
My children were both on the U.S, both my wife and myself are Irish born.. We plan to move back to Ireland in two years time, can I just move back with the children or do I have to apply for an Irish passport for the children? They are automatically Irish citizens due to their parents been born in Ireland.

If you do not and enter Ireland on the US passports then they would be illegal after the 3 months or whatever.
i doubt they would be illegal if the are citizens ,  lots of irish citizens don't have a passport. they are only for entry and exit from the country
[/quot
That's my thinking also, but since they were born overseas there might be an issue.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2016, 07:37:24 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on October 11, 2016, 06:22:07 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2016, 06:16:31 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on October 11, 2016, 06:14:55 PM
My children were both on the U.S, both my wife and myself are Irish born.. We plan to move back to Ireland in two years time, can I just move back with the children or do I have to apply for an Irish passport for the children? They are automatically Irish citizens due to their parents been born in Ireland.

If you do not and enter Ireland on the US passports then they would be illegal after the 3 months or whatever.

Is it just Irish passports they need or is there more to the process?

You will want PPS numbers for them for children's allowance and just about anything they need to register for (as foreign born children).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

Thanks Muppet, I'll need to find out my own also, I don't know if I have one to be honest. To get their PPS number the kids will probably need some form of I.D showing that they are legal residents, I might as well just apply for their Irish passports.

muppet

There are free checkups for toddlers from the health service, but they'll need a PPS number. Any engagement with any State Services will probably need a PPS number. It won't be difficult to get as long, as long as a parent is a citizen, just a minor hassle.

Child applications
Children born in Ireland are usually given a Personal Public Service Number (PPS number) when their birth is registered with the General Register Office (GRO). This means you do not need to apply for a PPS number for an Irish-born child.

However a PPS number is not automatically allocated if both parents' addresses are outside of the State. If you need a PPS number in such a case then you must apply at a PPS number allocation centre.

PPS numbers for children living in, but not born in Ireland, must be applied for by the parent/guardian. One of the parents/guardians must have a PPS number for the child to be registered and linked with their data.

The parent, foster parent, guardian, or school representative should attend with the child, and provide evidence of his/her own identity, the identity of the child, evidence of the requirement for a PPS number, and evidence of the relationship between the parent/guardian and the child. Evidence of address should also be provided. The Department of Social Protection may make further enquiries where it is considered necessary to confirm the relationship between the child and the person requesting a PPS number.

A person aged less than 16 years is considered to be a child for PPS number allocation purposes.
MWWSI 2017

STREET FIGHTER

Your well fairly well up with your knowledge here Muppet....

muppet

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on October 12, 2016, 10:29:37 PM
Your well fairly well up with your knowledge here Muppet....

I have family members who went through it. Like I said, fairly straight forward. Some of these offices are happy to see a (rare) native walking in and just fly through your application.
MWWSI 2017

Kidder81

Renewed online, credit where it's due, it's a great service. 5 mins

An Watcher

Folks, flying to Portugal in 2 weeks but the wee mans passport hasn't arrived yet despite it being due last week.  Starting to get a bit concerned as the webchat, telephones and emails of the passport office are down.  Basically can't talk to anyone.  Would happily drive down to collect it but need to speak to them.  Some people said Twitter but I'm not a user even tho I've signed up today.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Boycey

Quote from: An Watcher on May 28, 2018, 07:45:02 PM
Folks, flying to Portugal in 2 weeks but the wee mans passport hasn't arrived yet despite it being due last week.  Starting to get a bit concerned as the webchat, telephones and emails of the passport office are down.  Basically can't talk to anyone.  Would happily drive down to collect it but need to speak to them.  Some people said Twitter but I'm not a user even tho I've signed up today.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Yeah I'll echo the twitter advice, just checked my Twitter DMs they got back to me a within 4 hours of a query and provided a follow up answer to a 2nd question early the next day.

Sent them a Direct Message rather than just a tweet to their timeline

An Watcher

Cheers Boycey, I'll try that tomorrow.  Just need to work out how to send a DM now!

An Watcher

Not having much luck on Twitter other than them saying that updates will appear on the website.  Looking to see if I can arrange pick up but it's all a struggle.
May be forced into paying £122 for a Fast Track UK passport or risk losing our holiday.  Bleak.

Hound

Quote from: An Watcher on May 29, 2018, 03:32:54 PM
Not having much luck on Twitter other than them saying that updates will appear on the website.  Looking to see if I can arrange pick up but it's all a struggle.
May be forced into paying £122 for a Fast Track UK passport or risk losing our holiday.  Bleak.
Keep calling. Girl I work with finally got through yesterday at about 2pm, after trying all morning (it seems to only let you Q for up to 10 mins, if the Q is longer, it just hangs up on you).
Once you talk to someone they can give up up to date info and arrange a time for you to come in and collect if necessary.

An Watcher

Thanks Hound, think I'm sorted now though.  Finally responded to an email and looks like it's coming through next week.  Just in time for the hols!!!
The system may have worked when there wasn't so many applications but really poor set up now.

Don Johnson

Maybe you should have been more organised and sorted it sooner than three weeks before going.

An Watcher

Maybe we should have got him a passport before we decided to go 7/8 weeks ago!!