Getting an Irish Passport

Started by pullhard, May 28, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

I'm looking to get an Irish Passport, I was wondering how to go about it?
Currently have a UK Passport but would like an Irish passport.

Main Street

The resident expert who could give invaluable advice, One Nail Looney (or something similar), has been off line for the past few years.
If you qualify for an irish passport, then follow the trail
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/

Itchy

Orior

What's the craic with travelling to the USA these days? Are there any special requirements when it comes to the passport?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on May 10, 2016, 10:39:55 AM
What's the craic with travelling to the USA these days? Are there any special requirements when it comes to the passport?

You need a biometric passport. These were issued after 2006, but there is a couple of months in 2006 when an Irish one might still be valid but non biometric and British ones for several months more.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on May 10, 2016, 10:47:02 AM

You need a biometric passport. These were issued after 2006, but there is a couple of months in 2006 when an Irish one might still be valid but non biometric and British ones for several months more.

My Irish passport was issued in 2012, but I don't see anything biometric on it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lurganblue

Quote from: Orior on May 10, 2016, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 10, 2016, 10:47:02 AM

My Irish passport was issued in 2012, but I don't see anything biometric on it.

It should have a wee chip in it i think.  The front of it will show a wee symbol towards the base of the passport

Applesisapples

You also need an Esta, but make sure you go to the official site as there are sites that charge hefty commission.

seafoid

The new passports are class. I love the bit as Gaeilge that starts Iarann Aire Gnothai Eachtrachta na h Eireann...
You just don't get that level of sophistication a British passport.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

I applied for my Irish passport to be renewed, via the local Post Office's Fast Track system up here,which cost £11.00, on April 26th.As of today the application remains at stage 2 of the process,where it has been since May 9th.The target issue date according to the website is May 19th,which even if this is met,will in effect be practically a month after my fast track application,until receipt

Luckily I didn't need it in a hurry but it seems a government would be formed quicker in the freestate than a passport issued via the so called fast track passport application or renewal system.

The Stallion

You should have got one from your Queen's Passport Office Tony, she runs a tighter ship.

Rois

I got a new Irish passport when I got married, I needed it in a hurry at the end, and I contacted the passport office in Dublin and spoke to a very very helpful and sensible person who made sure I got it on time.

T Fearon

Still at Stage 2 since 9/5/2016 and I paid a premium rate for fast track service >:(.

Rossfan

Maybe they've revoked your citizenship with all that " Northern Irish" identity stuff you were advocating.
I can see some gaaboarder in the Passport Office saying " Let him go off and get a " Northernirish " one"
;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Minder

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2016, 12:36:57 PM
Still at Stage 2 since 9/5/2016 and I paid a premium rate for fast track service >:(.

I don't think the Fast Track service makes any difference
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"