Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Awful match, poor result for United though the performance was much worse than the result. Flat, no urgency and I'm not sure where the spark will come from in weeks ahead to secure a top 4 finish.

johnnycool

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 03, 2021, 10:28:05 PM
Awful match, poor result for United though the performance was much worse than the result. Flat, no urgency and I'm not sure where the spark will come from in weeks ahead to secure a top 4 finish.

Happy with the draw at Chelsea and now happy with a draw at Crystal Palace.

Keano was right, no ambition.

sid waddell

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Manchester United collapse and miss the top four altogether, the paper can only cover the cracks for so long

Could see them having a run like late in the 2018/19 season after Solskjaer got the job permanently

Nice easy one on Sunday, away to Manchester City

Be just like them to get another 0-0 though

They've persisted so long with Solskjaer that the pool of potential replacements has now shrunk considerably

Poch and Tuchel are off the market

GetOverTheBar

"Ole Out" has now been trending on twitter after the last two games. Seems Ole is going back to the familiar back against the wall position.

NAG1

Quote from: sid waddell on March 04, 2021, 08:58:31 AM
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Manchester United collapse and miss the top four altogether, the paper can only cover the cracks for so long

Could see them having a run like late in the 2018/19 season after Solskjaer got the job permanently

They've persisted so long with Solskjaer that the pool of potential replacements has now shrunk considerably

Don't think there is any defending the insipid nature of the performance last, to a man maybe barring Shaw they were woeful.

Genuinely don't know if this is Ole's fault, too many of the players seem to have taken a dip in form all at the same time. The front three actually Cavani included (which is maybe harsh given the supply to him) were shocking.

I've been saying it for a while now Rashford is struggling big time, defenders have worked him out and he seems to have no answers, Greenwood a bit the same but he is only learning.

Never thought we would be saying it but the team does miss Pogba, especially in those games last night were the quality was so poor, when he can pick one pass or make one run to change the game.

Worrying for Sunday but saves people from getting ahead of themselves when they see how far the team is still behind a consistent title challenge.

Ps what does DVB think now after watching that last night and still not manage to make an appearance?

Louther

United been very poor last few games, dare to say it but have they missed Pogba more than they'd have thought. Fernandes was talked off as Player of Season when they hit top but been off the boil since. If he doesn't play well, the link play falls apart very quickly.

With City at weekend, they could find themselves under pressure. Should still be comfortable in top 4 but maybe all not as rosy as some thought.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: NAG1 on March 04, 2021, 10:14:53 AM

Don't think there is any defending the insipid nature of the performance last, to a man maybe barring Shaw they were woeful.

Genuinely don't know if this is Ole's fault, too many of the players seem to have taken a dip in form all at the same time. The front three actually Cavani included (which is maybe harsh given the supply to him) were shocking.

I've been saying it for a while now Rashford is struggling big time, defenders have worked him out and his seems to have no answers, Greenwood a bit the same but he is only learning.

Never thought we would be saying it but the team does miss Pogba, especially in those games last night were the quality was so poor, when he can pick one pass or make one run to change the game.

Worrying for Sunday but saves people from getting ahead of themselves when they see how far the team is still behind a consistent title challenge.

Ps what does DVB think now after watching that last night and still not manage to make an appearance?

As manager should he not be helping these lads to improve their game or even mixing things up? So it is his fault?

Look at Klopp, Pep, Poch. They improve their players. Has Ole really improved anyone in that team as a player? Shaw I would say but thats it. Even that is debatable as he was injury prone and seems to have gotten a kick up the arse since a new LB was signed. He seems tactically out of his depth too and I have said this when he was first put in charge, he has done nothing in big games or when under the cosh to make a switch and turn the game entirely in United's favour. I'm happy to be corrected on this as I cant remember a time, in fact the likes of the Red Bull & PSG games he has done the opposite. The glaring example was refusing to take Fred off when he was committing a foul anytime the ball was near him and already on a yellow. I think a draw would have been enough to qualify that game too?

But then I suppose who comes in after him is the question?

NAG1

Not much to argue with there, but I feel at the moment it is the players letting Ole down.

Take Rashford last night for example he is supposed to be a world leading forward player. Firstly he was lazy sold Shaw short with a lazy pass which nearly got him seriously injured.

Continually gave the ball away without care. Had a decent chance, probably better than decent and didn't hit the target.

He sticks that away and it is a whole different game, CP have to come out and the break away goals are on then. Not much Ole can do about that other than give him the hook which I think he should have done last night.

Real lack of zip and freshness about the whole squad and probably most squads across the PL (barring City at the moment).

trailer

It's games like this that show Ole's shortcoming up. Game needed a switch and probably 2 after 50 mins. Ole perseveres. He had no answer to the dross, either by changing it or making changes. It's Crystal Palace ffs. You go out and beat them 3 or 4 nil. Same happened against PSG when he couldn't see Fred was one tackle away from a red. left him on, got sent off and lost the games. You can question the players surely but Ole is working with them day and daily and if he can't see their shortcomings and overcome them then he's not the guy for this job.

Remember Utd are second but Liverpool are having a shocker, as are Arsenal and Tottenham and to a lesser extent Chelsea who have just turned a corner. It won't be easier for Utd next year, it will be far, far harder. 

sid waddell

Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 04, 2021, 11:08:31 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 04, 2021, 10:14:53 AM

I've been saying it for a while now Rashford is struggling big time, defenders have worked him out and his seems to have no answers, Greenwood a bit the same but he is only learning.

As manager should he not be helping these lads to improve their game or even mixing things up? So it is his fault?

Look at Klopp, Pep, Poch. They improve their players. Has Ole really improved anyone in that team as a player? Shaw I would say but thats it. Even that is debatable as he was injury prone and seems to have gotten a kick up the arse since a new LB was signed. He seems tactically out of his depth too and I have said this when he was first put in charge, he has done nothing in big games or when under the cosh to make a switch and turn the game entirely in United's favour. I'm happy to be corrected on this as I cant remember a time, in fact the likes of the Red Bull & PSG games he has done the opposite. The glaring example was refusing to take Fred off when he was committing a foul anytime the ball was near him and already on a yellow. I think a draw would have been enough to qualify that game too?

But then I suppose who comes in after him is the question?
Deluded Chelsea supporters claimed Chelsea's poor form under Frank Lampard was the players' fault, not Lampard's

But Tuchel has transformed Chelsea in a short time, because the players now know what they are doing - they are coached and instructed properly

Lampard did not know what he was doing

And neither does Solskjaer

Tuchel does

Rich Ricci

No flexibility in his tactics. Playing 2 CDMs against Palace missing their biggest attacking threat is just a waste of a players. Peak Matic in his Chelsea days would have be able to perform that role by himself. Obviously he's not the player he was but if he, Fred or McTominay can't perform that role by themselves against the likes of Palace then why are they actually there because they're not good enough on the ball going forward.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2021, 12:15:04 PM
Remember Utd are second but Liverpool are having a shocker, as are Arsenal and Tottenham and to a lesser extent Chelsea who have just turned a corner. It won't be easier for Utd next year, it will be far, far harder.

Yeah, they're on course to finish on about 70 points as things stand. That would probably secure a top four place given how others have struggled, but overall it isn't much progress from any other season since Ferguson left.

They've consistent hit around 65-70 points every season since then, with one exception - the second place in 17/18 with 81 points that Mourinho likes to crows about. But it really does actually stand out a mile compared to what has been achieved before and after.

Solskjaer looks to have been no worse than his predecessors, and certainly hasn't been out of his depth - as was the fear. But neither has he done anything to suggest that he's any better than them. Moyes, Van Gaal & Mourinho were all given the road within a couple of years after overseeing this level of underachievement - why should Solskjaer be any different?
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 04, 2021, 04:07:04 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2021, 12:15:04 PM

Yeah, they're on course to finish on about 70 points as things stand. That would probably secure a top four place given how others have struggled, but overall it isn't much progress from any other season since Ferguson left.

They've consistent hit around 65-70 points every season since then, with one exception - the second place in 17/18 with 81 points that Mourinho likes to crows about. But it really does actually stand out a mile compared to what has been achieved before and after.

Solskjaer looks to have been no worse than his predecessors, and certainly hasn't been out of his depth - as was the fear. But neither has he done anything to suggest that he's any better than them. Moyes, Van Gaal & Mourinho were all given the road within a couple of years after overseeing this level of underachievement - why should Solskjaer be any different?

The style of play was the stick to beat his predecessors with, Ole isn't much different in that respect to be honest.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: sid waddell on March 04, 2021, 12:20:55 PM
Deluded Chelsea supporters claimed Chelsea's poor form under Frank Lampard was the players' fault, not Lampard's

But Tuchel has transformed Chelsea in a short time, because the players now know what they are doing - they are coached and instructed properly

Tuchel does

Remains to be seen how Tuchel fares at Chelsea, the pressure to succeed there is high. At the moment they are getting a new manager bounce but even during that run they couldn't beat or score against a team managed a fella that as you claim doesn't know what he's doing.

Moyes took over a team that had won the league comfortably and his minimum target would be a top 4 finish. We was sacked once top 4 was no longer achievable.

Van Gaal was gone once a top 4 finish wasn't reached as well.

Jose sacked midway into his 3rd full season, 11 points off 4th and left a toxic environment behind.

As for Solskjaer he'll be kept on for at least another season if United finish this season in the top 4 or wins the Europa league. No guarantee that either will happen especially in current form.

trailer

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 04, 2021, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 04, 2021, 12:20:55 PM

Tuchel does

Remains to be seen how Tuchel fares at Chelsea, the pressure to succeed there is high. At the moment they are getting a new manager bounce but even during that run they couldn't beat or score against a team managed a fella that as you claim doesn't know what he's doing.

Moyes took over a team that had won the league comfortably and his minimum target would be a top 4 finish. We was sacked once top 4 was no longer achievable.

Van Gaal was gone once a top 4 finish wasn't reached as well.

Jose sacked midway into his 3rd full season, 11 points off 4th and left a toxic environment behind.

As for Solskjaer he'll be kept on for at least another season if United finish this season in the top 4 or wins the Europa league. No guarantee that either will happen especially in current form.

I think Ole will get another summer window. If he can't improve and by improve I mean sustain a league challenge then he's on the first boat back to Norway. But like I said next year is going to be harder not easier. No way Liverpool will be as bad. Chelsea will probably spend so he's going to be up against it.