UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Tony, your attempts to wind people up are getting tiresome. NI exists to promote sectarianism, those who support it support sectarianism and sectarianism will only be removed after NI is abolished.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Sectarianism is a natural product of two competing allegiances.These allegiances are nonsensical as they are to two countries who do not want the Northern Irish,or regard them as "their" people.That is fact.There is no solution to N Ireland with these allegiances.Abolishing N Ireland for an All Ireland (which the South doesn't want) will produce one million disgruntled unionists,who will never acquiesce.Similarly continuing with British Rule leaves nationalists disgruntled,even though bizarrely this is what they voted for in endorsing the Good Friday Agreement.

Therefore Unionism or Nationalism will not solve the problem,only some form of an independent North,without toxic competing allegiances,where everyone is equal,under agreed new flags and emblems,offers any hope.

BennyCake

New flags and emblems? And how does unionists and nationalists agree on those? Whether the South wants the North is irrelevant. The country was divided against Nationalists will and the natural order is to want it back the way it was. Hence why nationalists are attached to all things Irish.

T Fearon

Don't you get it? With an independent North,Unionism and Nationalism will be extinct.It'll be our country,no longer the daft and divisive endeavours to join up with other countries who don't want us.

Owen Brannigan

How did the teachers vote?

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 14, 2017, 10:57:49 PM
Don't you get it? With an independent North,Unionism and Nationalism will be extinct.It'll be our country,no longer the daft and divisive endeavours to join up with other countries who don't want us.

I get it, T.  It will never happen though.

I mean, a lot of Nationalists/Republicans won't even use the N word. Good luck getting same people to agree to basically the same deal they have now, just with a different name. This ain't Sellafield we're talking about here.

Rossfan

It would be some fkn dump.
At least Moldova wouldn't be Europe's poorest Country any more.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Unionism already sees Northern Ireland as a separate indentity. It's the mentality that infuses ourweecountry, leads them to incorrectly invent mythical origins (the Cruithini), or create biblical origin myths (lost tribe of Israel), or misappropriate Irish symbolism as their own (Red Hand of Ulster) or create an alternative native language (Ullans).

magpie seanie

Don't feed the troll guys.

T Fearon

N Ireland is a separate entity from the rest of Ireland,by the freely expressed consent of the free state govt and people,not to mention Northern nationalists who overwhelmingly voted for the Good Friday Agreement,and were encouraged to do so by SF and SDLP.This states unambiguously that British rule should be maintained in N I.

As a result of this and the continued  competing allegiances to two separate countries,neither of whom wants us,last week's election showed its people are more polarised than ever with the middle ground totally squeezed.In otherwords the status quo is not working and will not work.

How is this to be addressed other than some form of independent state which renders both Unionism and Nationalism obsolete?

Franko

Quote from: T Fearon on June 15, 2017, 05:00:50 AM
N Ireland is a separate entity from the rest of Ireland,by the freely expressed consent of the free state govt and people,not to mention Northern nationalists who overwhelmingly voted for the Good Friday Agreement,and were encouraged to do so by SF and SDLP.This states unambiguously that British rule should be maintained in N I.

As a result of this and the continued  competing allegiances to two separate countries,neither of whom wants us,last week's election showed its people are more polarised than ever with the middle ground totally squeezed.In otherwords the status quo is not working and will not work.

How is this to be addressed other than some form of independent state which renders both Unionism and Nationalism obsolete?

Yes Tony, no need for the repetition.  We understand the point you are trying to make.

Everyone else's point is that yours is a load of balls.

T Fearon

How? Give me one shred of evidence that either Britain or the Freestate really wants to have ownership of the North or regards any of the people here as truly British or Irish?

Franko

Quote from: T Fearon on June 15, 2017, 08:21:27 AM
How? Give me one shred of evidence that either Britain or the Freestate really wants to have ownership of the North or regards any of the people here as truly British or Irish?

How about you give me one shred of evidence that ANY of the people in the north (except balloons like yourself) really want self ownership?

T Fearon

Well the almost 40% of the population who don't vote,are neither Unionist nor nationalist.A lot of people like me who do vote,no doubt are also agnostic in terms of Unionism or Nationalism.

Also Unionism and Nationalism are both now minority concepts in terms of the entire population up here.

I think if a viable plan for independence was presented,there would be a hell of a lot of support for it.

What is the alternative? Decades more deadlock?

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 15, 2017, 05:00:50 AM

Nationalists have allegiance to Ireland, the island. The country as a whole, the way it was and what they wish for again. The GFA was a step towards eventually achieving that.