UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

1. Power sharing collapses.

2. Second election called.

3. Left win.

4. Leadership challenge.

It could be the North, GB or both in the next few months.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

seafoid

The DUP want
a) money
b) no vote on Irish unity

That implies weakness rather than strength.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

I would wager FF and Fine Gael also want

A) Money
B) No vote on Irish Unity

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2017, 06:57:53 AM
The DUP want
a) money
b) no vote on Irish unity

That implies weakness rather than strength.

They are a party based on not wanting something to happen and just live on, and prey on, fear so that is not surprising.

omochain

Quote from: T Fearon on June 12, 2017, 07:10:38 AM

A) Money

Have you ever tried getting a good night's sleep 😴

T Fearon

A commentator has also questioned why if the DUP are so bad,have Sinn Fein been their willing partners in Government in the North for ten years,with the late Martin Mc Guinness chuckling with the late Ian Paisley,and describing Peter Robinson as a great friend?

tiempo

Quote from: T Fearon on June 12, 2017, 08:29:10 AM
A commentator has also questioned why if the DUP are so bad,have Sinn Fein been their willing partners in Government in the North for ten years,with the late Martin Mc Guinness chuckling with the late Ian Paisley,and describing Peter Robinson as a great friend?

You mistake SF for a party that gives a fĂșck about a unionist colony.

Martin may indeed have been laughing at Ian, not with him as you suggest.

Peter has done plenty to further the SF agenda in said colony and in doing so bring closer the re-unification of Ireland. Friend in this case is an abject concept.

Franko

Quote from: T Fearon on June 11, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
I no longer vote on tribal lines but for candidate (s) who I agree with and who have a track record.

My preference would be for an independent Northern state,if economically viable ultimately,devoid of  toxic,bizarre and irrational allegiances to the British or 26 county states,which has brought about nothing but misery and division.

Bollocks.  The first step to achieving this normalisation would be to de-segregate education.  You would fill your considerably large togs if that were to happen.

Minder

Quote from: Franko on June 12, 2017, 09:14:25 AM
I no longer vote on tribal lines but for candidate (s) who I agree with and who have a track record.

My preference would be for an independent Northern state,if economically viable ultimately,devoid of  toxic,bizarre and irrational allegiances to the British or 26 county states,which has brought about nothing but misery and division.

Bollocks.  The first step to achieving this normalisation would be to de-segregate education.  You would fill your considerably large togs if that were to happen.

There is no appetite for that, on either side.

Turkeys voting for Xmas
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on June 12, 2017, 08:29:10 AM
Probably chuckling while thinking " we are actually getting away with this"
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Franko

Quote from: Minder on June 12, 2017, 10:12:59 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 12, 2017, 09:14:25 AM

There is no appetite for that, on either side.

Turkeys voting for Xmas

Correct... which makes Tony's utopian NI state idea a load of horse shit from the outset.

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on June 12, 2017, 07:10:38 AM

A) Money

Which should keep you happy, given your desire for an idependent statelet. Why do you continually harp on about the Irish government not wanting a border poll when you want complete separation from The Irish state and you feel differently once you cross the border with their different culture. You should be welcoming of this stance.

Rossfan

Why is he worrying about the Government of a State he wants to have nothing to do with?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Two questions to which I can't see answers that are either logical or politically tenable:

1. How is it acceptable for the DUP to be simultaneously a protagonist in negotiations on the governance of the North and effectively a part of the Westminster government? One of the possible outcomes of the assembly negotiations is direct rule from Westminster. Surely the DUP has an overwhelming incentive to scupper the talks, let the Assembly lapse and by default become effectively the direct government in the North without having to worry about power sharing with pesky nationalists.

2. How is it acceptable for the UK government to mediate the Assembly talks, when it is the political partner of one of the protagonists? It is plain that the DUP has a veto on everything by virtue of its ability to withdraw support from the government at will. Surely the other parties and the Irish government can't agree to proceed with talks on this basis. I presume they still have George Mitchell's phone number.

Denn Forever

Heard that DUP website crashed as there so many people from England trying to see what they are all about.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...