UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It really does highlight how little the tories and the dup care about peace over here.

There is apparently stuff in the gfa about neutrality which is in breach now. Wonder how that will turn out.

This, lgbt rights and the increasing number of media articles on how batshit crazy the dup are will hopefully somehow put an end to it. The tories will hopefully get slaughtered. The dup can do what they want and still get votes though :(

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 11, 2017, 09:45:32 AM
It really does highlight how little the tories and the dup care about peace over here.

There is apparently stuff in the gfa about neutrality which is in breach now. Wonder how that will turn out.

This, lgbt rights and the increasing number of media articles on how batshit crazy the dup are will hopefully somehow put an end to it. The tories will hopefully get slaughtered. The dup can do what they want and still get votes though :(

Just watch how the DUP under Dodds will turn up and be more British & Conservative than the Conservatives.  They will confound the media hysteria about them.  Every party in UK have nut jobs in their numbers and the DUP play up to their caricatures to ensure they get every vote in NI.  On the UK stage they will put on a different show, no Sammy, no Campbell and Arlene playing up herself as an IRA victim and scourge of terrorism. 

Behind the NI nonsense the DUP put on in the belief that this is the demand of their core there is a very professional grouping based on the SPADs that ran the government here for many years.  They will play down the local nonsense and expect to see Arlene flanked by Dodds marching up Downing Street to anoint May as PM.

Owen Brannigan

Prof John Curtice on Sunday Politics explaining how foolish May was in calling the election.  A 7% difference between Labour and Conservatives in 2015 only produced a majority of 17.  In 2017, the difference turned out to be 2.5%.  Someone needed to tell May that no matter how far she seemed to be beyond Labour she would lose if the gap dropped below 7% and the difference between parties always narrows during an election.  Her campaign went on for too long and the gap continued to narrow below the 7% gap. 

John Curtice pointed out that the overall percentages for parties count for nothing, it's only the gap that counts.

May listened to the wrong people and lost.

Owen Brannigan

Demographic analysis of election result:

Denn Forever

I hear the alliace may be in choppy waters.  Of all things it's the DUP's request  that the tories roll back somes of  their propsed benifit cuts, e.g. winter fuel allowance. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-parliaments-40225336
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Quote from: Minder on June 11, 2017, 09:37:50 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 11, 2017, 06:37:09 AM
She should have given Tim Farron's Lid Dems a call, far less toxic.
Lib Dems had already ruled out a coalition, after what happened the last time

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 11, 2017, 09:45:32 AM

Putting these two points together, we also see how little the Lib Dems care about implementation of the policy they purport to espouse, as opposed to safeguarding their electoral position.

They had a golden opportunity at least to try  to force a referendum on the Brexit deal as part of a power deal with the Tories, but they prefer to avoid the consequences of being the junior partner in a coalition again. 

T Fearon

I dont see the panic here.If the DUP win concessions that can only be good for all of us.Sinn Fein has delivered nothing for the North since it entered the Dail.

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on June 11, 2017, 11:31:46 AM
I dont see the panic here.If the DUP win concessions that can only be good for all of us.Sinn Fein has delivered nothing for the North since it entered the Dail.

What nonsense.

Now can you answer my previous question which you ignored.....

So in the interest of clarity then, your political aspiration is what, an independent northern state? If so would The Alliance Party or possibly the Green Party not be a better fit for you.

BennyCake

The DUP will do what it always does. Bend over and do what Westminster wants. Yes, Master, three bags full, master. To do anything less would be un-British. That means benefits cuts, bedroom tax, no historical inquiries, no change to zero hour contracts, etc. Yes, that's great news for the North.

Rossfan

Quote from: yellowcard on June 11, 2017, 11:42:50 AM

What nonsense.

Now can you answer my previous question which you ignored.....

So in the interest of clarity then, your political aspiration is what, an independent northern state? If so would The Alliance Party or possibly the Green Party not be a better fit for you.

He could start up a " Northern Irish National Community Progressive Ourselves Only Party" or NINCONPOOP
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tiempo

Sensational timing all this. Brexit negotiations starting imminently and the marching season weeks away.

I'm praying this survives through to the glorious 12th, all eyes will be on the OO and the DUP will cop for the stain that it is.

Inglorious basterds. Time for little Britain to wake up and survey the abortion it created in Ireland.

By the end of this the English will be calling for a United Ireland.

trileacman

Quote from: tiempo on June 11, 2017, 12:15:20 PM
Sensational timing all this. Brexit negotiations starting imminently and the marching season weeks away.

I'm praying this survives through to the glorious 12th, all eyes will be on the OO and the DUP will cop for the stain that it is.

Inglorious basterds. Time for little Britain to wake up and survey the abortion it created in Ireland.

You're completely deluded.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyCake

Quote from: trileacman on June 11, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
Quote from: tiempo on June 11, 2017, 12:15:20 PM

You're completely deluded.

I have to agree.

T Fearon

I no longer vote on tribal lines but for candidate (s) who I agree with and who have a track record.

My preference would be for an independent Northern state,if economically viable ultimately,devoid of  toxic,bizarre and irrational allegiances to the British or 26 county states,which has brought about nothing but misery and division.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: T Fearon on June 11, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
I no longer vote on tribal lines but for candidate (s) who I agree with and who have a track record.

My preference would be for an independent Northern state,if economically viable ultimately,devoid of  toxic,bizarre and irrational allegiances to the British or 26 county states,which has brought about nothing but misery and division.
Sure that's the way most people vote.
Careful now