UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: HiMucker on June 09, 2017, 01:43:39 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on June 09, 2017, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 09:37:31 AM
Where are all the t**sers who said Sinn Fein taking their seats in Westminster didn't matter anyway??!!

DUP in a f**king Coalition Government??!!

Time for Sinn Fein to get real and think about taking their seats in Westminster lest we get tramped into the ground again. Saying a meaningless oath is much less an issue for me than letting the DUP run amok!

It seems it isn't much of an issue for others, given SF's increased vote. Their position is quite clear.

Tell me, how would SF agreeing to take their seats in Westminster affect things today given the Tories have first call and have the backing of the DUP?

Even if Labour and the other parties combined, including SF - they wouldn't have the number of seats for a majority. So I would argue your point is null and void.

The majority is miniscule though and depending on the vote an extra 7 seats could be the difference between the Conservatives f**king out more benefits or cutting more taxes for the fat cats.

The point a lot of people are missing about Sinn Fein abstentionism being endorsed is that there is no longer a viable Nationalist alternative to vote for. People talk about hardliners leaving Sinn Fein if they took their seats at Westminster but in reality the fall off would be minimal as there is literally nothing else to vote for and you would gain in the youth vote coming through, whilst actually being able to make a difference in people's lives here at an upper level rather than crying about it on Nolan on a Wednesday night!

In terms of overall votes DUP got an extra 70,000 from the Assembly elections whilst Sinn Fein lost 6,000 even though it was still enough for then to gain more seats... SDLP stayed the same!!
This is were I disagree with you.  I literally know no one who votes Sinn Fein, who doesn't agree with abstentionism, and all of them would make reference that they would be disgusted if they took their seats.  These are people right across the social spectrum of all ages.  It would be a disaster for Sinn Fein if they took their seats.

Look at history lad . . . McGuinness shook the Queen's hand, Sinn Fein are on the Policing Board, Rugby & Soccer have been played in Croke Park, Sinn Fein are in a joint authority with the DUP.

If Sinn Fein said that they wanted to go to Westminster to make a better deal for the North by influencing Parliament I'm pretty sure they could sell it as all the above have been sold to the base previously!

Owen Brannigan

In September 2018 the Boundary Commission will report to parliament on the new distribution of constituencies based on removing 50 of the current batch.  It is vital for the conservatives to ensure that this new distribution is confirmed as it will bring them back to a structural majority as the number of voters is brought to a narrower band in each constituency.  The Lib Dems refused this during the coalition years but Cameron got it started before he left and agreement on reduction by 50 seats.

In NI, a re-drawing of the boundaries will see one Belfast constituency disappearing and other boundaries re-drawn.  This will reduce the Assembly by a further 5 seats. 

magpie seanie

I seriously hope the British media run the rule over the DUP in a meaningful way. I expect most of the right wing media want May out so they might just do this to weaken her further. It just shows what type of a person May is that she'd deal with these pond scum.

yellowcard

Where are all the t**sers who said Sinn Fein taking their seats in Westminster didn't matter anyway??!!

Time for Sinn Fein to get real and think about taking their seats in Westminster lest we get tramped into the ground again. Saying a meaningless oath is much less an issue for me than letting the DUP run amok!

It seems it isn't much of an issue for others, given SF's increased vote. Their position is quite clear.

Tell me, how would SF agreeing to take their seats in Westminster affect things today given the Tories have first call and have the backing of the DUP?

Even if Labour and the other parties combined, including SF - they wouldn't have the number of seats for a majority. So I would argue your point is null and void.

The majority is miniscule though and depending on the vote an extra 7 seats could be the difference between the Conservatives f**king out more benefits or cutting more taxes for the fat cats.

The point a lot of people are missing about Sinn Fein abstentionism being endorsed is that there is no longer a viable Nationalist alternative to vote for. People talk about hardliners leaving Sinn Fein if they took their seats at Westminster but in reality the fall off would be minimal as there is literally nothing else to vote for and you would gain in the youth vote coming through, whilst actually being able to make a difference in people's lives here at an upper level rather than crying about it on Nolan on a Wednesday night!

In terms of overall votes DUP got an extra 70,000 from the Assembly elections whilst Sinn Fein lost 6,000 even though it was still enough for then to gain more seats... SDLP stayed the same!!

1) They would most definitely lose votes if they took their seats, it is one of the main principles upon which the party is based and a policy that has been in existence by republicans dating back to the 19th century.

2) If they took their seats it would not change the fact that there is going to be a Tory/DUP alliance

3) If you do not believe in abstentionism then you should not be voting SF, you know what you get before you cast the vote. Name one thing that nationalists achieved in Westminister in recent times?

4) The DUP will be c**k a hoop at present considering how the cards have fallen and it was a great result for them. However already they are under scrutiny on social media for their pre-historic views and links to terrorist organisations. It will not do them any good on the PR front in the mid-longer term. Meanwhile nationalists/republicans can hurl stones and snipe from the sideline whilst the DUP will be under pressure to deliver a good Brexit for the north......which is not possible since it will be Tory dominated.

Owen Brannigan

A clearer view of the major redrawing of boundaries for 2018 onwards.  This will have significant effect on the Assembly as each will be a 5 seater constituency much different from before.

Cunny Funt

Why was Corbyn painted as the devil incarnate  by the UK media? the majority of his policies seemed to be good. May always seemed to be out of her depth and her calling for this election has to go down as one of the biggest ever political errors in history

Avondhu star

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2017, 01:55:17 PM
I seriously hope the British media run the rule over the DUP in a meaningful way. I expect most of the right wing media want May out so they might just do this to weaken her further. It just shows what type of a person May is that she'd deal with these pond scum.
The sooner they start closing Alton Towers etc on the Sabbath and getting children to Sunday School the better. The D.U.P will be happy being Minister of Dog Kennels as long as they can say they are in Government
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Owen Brannigan

DUP will now push for another Assembly election to build on their resurgence.

The loss of Chris Hazzard from the Assembly will create a deficit for SF in placing competent ministers in place.

seafoid

Most people in Britain do not have a notion about who the DUP are or what goes on in OWC. But the Union is strong

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/adam-ramsay/so-who-are-dup
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Avondhu star

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 01:49:01 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on June 09, 2017, 01:43:39 PM

This is were I disagree with you.  I literally know no one who votes Sinn Fein, who doesn't agree with abstentionism, and all of them would make reference that they would be disgusted if they took their seats.  These are people right across the social spectrum of all ages.  It would be a disaster for Sinn Fein if they took their seats.

Look at history lad . . . McGuinness shook the Queen's hand, Sinn Fein are on the Policing Board, Rugby & Soccer have been played in Croke Park, Sinn Fein are in a joint authority with the DUP.

If Sinn Fein said that they wanted to go to Westminster to make a better deal for the North by influencing Parliament I'm pretty sure they could sell it as all the above have been sold to the base previously!
Exactly. The S.F. support will do what they are told
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

trileacman

There's an ocean of shite talk in here. How could the DUP embarrass themselves in London when it contains the likes of boris and Farage as political heavyweights?

Fuking quit dreaming all this shite that this coaliation is somehow a positive development for nationalism  or SF. It's clutching at straws and embarrassing.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 09, 2017, 02:04:05 PM
Why was Corbyn painted as the devil incarnate  by the UK media? the majority of his policies seemed to be good. May always seemed to be out of her depth and her calling for this election has to go down as one of the biggest ever political errors in history

Murdoch owned press are big mates with the far right and tories. They'd gas Corbyn at auschticw as a communist if they could. The guardian and independent and other sandal wearing losers are big corbynista cheerleaders and damn nearly as repulsive as the murdochs.

P.s. Murdoch is also Australian which makes him an arrogant right wing turnip stealing  dinosaur.

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 01:59:38 PM

1) They would most definitely lose votes if they took their seats, it is one of the main principles upon which the party is based and a policy that has been in existence by republicans dating back to the 19th century.

2) If they took their seats it would not change the fact that there is going to be a Tory/DUP alliance

3) If you do not believe in abstentionism then you should not be voting SF, you know what you get before you cast the vote. Name one thing that nationalists achieved in Westminister in recent times?

4) The DUP will be c**k a hoop at present considering how the cards have fallen and it was a great result for them. However already they are under scrutiny on social media for their pre-historic views and links to terrorist organisations. It will not do them any good on the PR front in the mid-longer term. Meanwhile nationalists/republicans can hurl stones and snipe from the sideline whilst the DUP will be under pressure to deliver a good Brexit for the north......which is not possible since it will be Tory dominated.

1) We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm pretty sure being in Government with the DUP was not one of their overriding principles and yet they're still doing it.

2) It will not but as I've said with a majority so wafer thin all you would need is 3 people to jump ship and not 6 as you would now.

3) I didn't this time. . . and what they've achieved in recent times is irrelevant this is a real opportunity to effect some change!!!

4) Since when have the DUP cared what people think about them. The Unionists here will love it and see it as a them being back in charge again. f**k them!!

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 09, 2017, 02:04:05 PM

The Tories ran an ultra negative campaign. they couldn't run it on the strength of the economy because people are very pissed off. So they went over to the dark side.

Frankie Boyle was on Twitter abut how bizarre their attacks on Corbyn were

"The people of York surreally focussed on having a nuclear exchange with Iran"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trileacman

Also the analyst seem to holding up the DUP as our sole hope of soft brexit coz it's what Ni needs. FFS the prods would cut off their nose, two arms and right leg to spite the Catholics. They'll do whatever the Tory lords ask them if it furthers their small minded political and financial insterests.