International rules

Started by tonto1888, September 26, 2017, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 20, 2017, 12:51:47 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 20, 2017, 12:35:38 PM
If you're running at full pelt it's difficult to let the ball off in 4 steps. The massive increase in pace and athleticism is the main reason players struggle with the steps rule these days.

Time to up it to 7/8 steps and enforce it.
Exactly why it should be a length of time rather than the number of steps taken. There are many scenarios in which you can be in possession of the ball. Make it three seconds and there's no need for a ref to interpret how long it might take to take four steps.

If you're going that way then it should be taken out of a refs hands.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 20, 2017, 01:11:00 PM
If you're running at full pelt it's difficult to let the ball off in 4 steps. The massive increase in pace and athleticism is the main reason players struggle with the steps rule these days.

Exactly why it should be a length of time rather than the number of steps taken. There are many scenarios in which you can be in possession of the ball. Make it three seconds and there's no need for a ref to interpret how long it might take to take four steps.

Let a ref in the stand make a call on each possession and be wired to the man on the pitch? Why that decision over other decisions?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 20, 2017, 02:44:41 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 20, 2017, 01:11:00 PM

Let a ref in the stand make a call on each possession and be wired to the man on the pitch? Why that decision over other decisions?

GAA refs are incompetent by and large, give then extra responsibility will make them work. One of my biggest gripes in modern day GAA intercounty football is the quality of refereeing. You basically have Coldrick and Gough who you'd have a bit of faith in reffing the game properly and that's about it.

Jim Bob

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 20, 2017, 07:10:43 PM
Could you do a better job?

Not much incentive to be an intercounty ref.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

I'll repeat - if someone can't play the ball within 4 steps they shouldn't be on the pitch. They should go and play rugby.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 21, 2017, 09:49:26 AM

I'll repeat - if someone can't play the ball within 4 steps they shouldn't be on the pitch. They should go and play rugby.

As players are so much quicker now, it's far more difficult to play it in 4 steps. You're basically asking players to play the ball now in a much shorter time frame than player 15/20/30 years ago had to.

Orchard park

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 21, 2017, 11:19:25 AM

thats like saying the speed limit should be increased becasue cars are better now than 30 years ago

if the 4 step rule was implemented it would cut down on so much personal fouling and foul tackling imho

As players are so much quicker now, it's far more difficult to play it in 4 steps. You're basically asking players to play the ball now in a much shorter time frame than player 15/20/30 years ago had to.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Orchard park on December 21, 2017, 11:25:22 AM

thats like saying the speed limit should be increased becasue cars are better now than 30 years ago

if the 4 step rule was implemented it would cut down on so much personal fouling and foul tackling imho

The issue is that four steps takes longer for some than others. A small player coming on to a ball at full pace will have four steps taken in about half a second. Why should that be treated the same as a tall man receiving the ball in a standing position?

I repeat, base it on time, not steps. I'm amazed that I seem to be in such a minority on this as I'm clearly right  ;D

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 21, 2017, 11:54:31 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on December 21, 2017, 11:25:22 AM

The issue is that four steps takes longer for some than others. A small player coming on to a ball at full pace will have four steps taken in about half a second. Why should that be treated the same as a tall man receiving the ball in a standing position?

I repeat, base it on time, not steps. I'm amazed that I seem to be in such a minority on this as I'm clearly right  ;D

Speed limits have increased.....

BennyCake

Just realised there's no series again this year.

Does this have a future or are they flogging a dead horse at this stage?

Farrandeelin

Matthew Ruane was spotted at an AFL 'kicking session'. Not sure what this means, but it's not nice from a Mayo pov.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

And they're taking lots of women footballers as well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2019, 05:14:38 PM
And they're taking lots of women footballers as well.

They are just taking them on loan off season!