International rules

Started by tonto1888, September 26, 2017, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on November 21, 2017, 01:40:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2017, 10:27:22 AM
Enforce the 4 step rule first.

The four step rule is easily the stupidest in the sport, which is why it's so regularly fudged.

Yet it is. And while it is there it should be enforced

Orchard park

why is it stupid.........its the most ignored rule either code alright........if properly enforced it would eliminate so much dragging and fouling

Rossfan

The 4 step rule is from the days football was a propelling game - you caught the ball,  and couple of steps to make space and settle and then let it off.
No you get the ball and keep it for dear life while players lunge or maul at you until the ref gives you a free (or very occasionally pull you for over carrying to everyone's puzzlement).

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

If players can't use the ball within 4 steps they've no business being on a pitch. Being able to run away from/through people has meant lads with poor skill levels but strength and athleticism can survive. The abuse/misapplication of this rule is the single biggest factor in the complete change in the nature of the game of gaelic football.

I hadn't watched the international rules for many year but a few things struck me:

1) the speed with which the Aussies handpassed the ball. Not just the pace carrying the ball but their hand speed and quickness of transfer. Way ahead of anything I've ever seen in gaelic football. This really surprised me.

2) the accuracy of the Aussies kick passing in comparison to ours. Not as surprised by this - anecdotally this has been referred to and so when I saw the evidence wasn't hugely surprised.

3) the fitness levels of the Aussies are off the charts. To be expected but I had liked to think it wasn't as much of a gap.

I was pleasantly surprised that the game was beeter to watch than I'd remembered but frustrated at the naiveté and poor skill levels by some of our players.

Overall though I was just watching to see my clubmate Niall Murphy. Delighted he did reasonably well.....we're very proud of him.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2017, 11:41:08 PM
If players can't use the ball within 4 steps they've no business being on a pitch. Being able to run away from/through people has meant lads with poor skill levels but strength and athleticism can survive. The abuse/misapplication of this rule is the single biggest factor in the complete change in the nature of the game of gaelic football.

I hadn't watched the international rules for many year but a few things struck me:

1) the speed with which the Aussies handpassed the ball. Not just the pace carrying the ball but their hand speed and quickness of transfer. Way ahead of anything I've ever seen in gaelic football. This really surprised me.

2) the accuracy of the Aussies kick passing in comparison to ours. Not as surprised by this - anecdotally this has been referred to and so when I saw the evidence wasn't hugely surprised.

3) the fitness levels of the Aussies are off the charts. To be expected but I had liked to think it wasn't as much of a gap.

I was pleasantly surprised that the game was beeter to watch than I'd remembered but frustrated at the naiveté and poor skill levels by some of our players.

Overall though I was just watching to see my clubmate Niall Murphy. Delighted he did reasonably well.....we're very proud of him.

Personally I think it's a complete and utter myth that the aussies kick the ball better than the irish. They hand pass the ball up the pitch and work a short kick pass for a mark or drive it in high where a big full forward catches it. Nearly all their scores were close to goal.

On the other hand McManus and Murphy gave an exhibition of long range shooting. The reason the Irish often kick pass the ball badly is because they are under pressure they aren't used to with the prospect of being thrown to the ground. When the Australians kick pass it they are under much less pressure. Another problem is the ball is lighter than the o'neills ball and on occasions the irish were kicking it too long.

The tackle has as big if not a bigger influence on the game than the round ball (which should be relatively easy to adopt to).

magpie seanie

There is some truth in what you're saying but I can remember a lot of times that our lads kicking was poor when not under much pressure. Some of Irish lads were really good but some were below what you'd expect from top level footballers.

haranguerer

Its amateur athletes versus professional athletes. If this game was equally weighted, it would be pointless having it.

Re the 4 step rule - I've preached this repeatedly on here, but here goes again - if properly enforced, defenders would be able to time their tackles. That's not possible at present, so the emphasis is on stopping the man. Cause of many of the problems in the game.

johnneycool

Quote from: haranguerer on November 22, 2017, 10:56:08 AM
Its amateur athletes versus professional athletes. If this game was equally weighted, it would be pointless having it.

Re the 4 step rule - I've preached this repeatedly on here, but here goes again - if properly enforced, defenders would be able to time their tackles. That's not possible at present, so the emphasis is on stopping the man. Cause of many of the problems in the game.

Same for the hurling as well. If refs enforce the 4 steps, no need for the dragging and then no need to let the man being dragged take more steps.

omaghjoe

Didnt see much of it this year but would the fact the Aussie play with an awkward oval ball not leave them at advantage when kicking a round one as the round one is much easier to handle

rrhf

I agree with that. Jeez gaa must feel like a game of beach ball compared to trying to kick that silly wee runt ball. Hardy wrote a great blog on it onetime.

JimStynes

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 22, 2017, 09:04:26 PM
Didnt see much of it this year but would the fact the Aussie play with an awkward oval ball not leave them at advantage when kicking a round one as the round one is much easier to handle

The oval ball is not that hard to kick. The Irish players in Oz are always up there with the top kickers in their team.

CJ2017

AFLX -  a few AFL clubs trialled the new version of the game, set to be officially unveiled in February to be played on soccer size pitch

"Taylor, who lined up in defence but swung forward to kick a 10-point goal from outside the 40m arc, likened it to International Rules for its speed and continuity, but with less players on the field.

"The Gaelic style of game is very appealing in Ireland, but there are certainly other places around the world where soccer is very big and perhaps this AFL style will appeal to those more soccer-orientated fans."

Forwards Wylie Buzza and Daniel Menzel also performed well with their booming kicks providing long goals, while Tuohy slotted a nice 10-pointer from the centre of the pitch that prompted him to break into an Irish jig.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-20/sick-dangerfield-misses-cats-aflx-trial

Il Bomber Destro

If you're running at full pelt it's difficult to let the ball off in 4 steps. The massive increase in pace and athleticism is the main reason players struggle with the steps rule these days.

Time to up it to 7/8 steps and enforce it.

Rossfan

Ciaran Sheehan of Cork coming home after 4 years.
Had a lot of injuries.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 20, 2017, 12:35:38 PM
If you're running at full pelt it's difficult to let the ball off in 4 steps. The massive increase in pace and athleticism is the main reason players struggle with the steps rule these days.

Time to up it to 7/8 steps and enforce it.
Exactly why it should be a length of time rather than the number of steps taken. There are many scenarios in which you can be in possession of the ball. Make it three seconds and there's no need for a ref to interpret how long it might take to take four steps.