International rules

Started by tonto1888, September 26, 2017, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: Rossfan on November 20, 2017, 11:21:48 AM
Good post Cavan.
Some people on this forum seem to expect the Sky to fall at any moment every day of the week.
Negative after negative about everything.
One big question from Saturday - whose ghost hit O'Shea in the face??

Embarrassing
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

heffo

Quote from: bennydorano on November 19, 2017, 07:41:43 PM
What real costs are there tho? Use of GAA Grounds (probably free), use of DCU facilities, facilitated by a few already contracted coaches / officials, the cost of a few Business class plane Tickets - probably freebies from Emirates who are involved as Sponsors.

Ethihad were GAA sponsors - not any longer.

They might have thrown out a couple of upgrades on the very QT, that was the height of it though.

tonto1888

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 19, 2017, 09:54:41 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 19, 2017, 08:37:58 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 19, 2017, 02:34:19 AM
Amusing seeing Big Dick calling out the Dublin players for snubbing the Aussie Rules team and the players kicking up a fuss.

Whatever why you cut it, the entire Dublin contingent opting out was a snub so they'd be better served to stop telling people piss is rain and expecting them to believe it. No one likes them to begin with but they're really giving no one any reason not to dislike them with craic like this.

Going off to Australia to play professionals without any players from our best and only professional side was obviously a bad start to say the least.

We don't have any professional sides

You just keep telling yourself that. If it makes it easier to believe the lie.

"engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur."

That's not any of our players or teams

6th sam

Good post Cavan.
Some people on this forum seem to expect the Sky to fall at any moment every day of the week.

Reasonable constructive criticism is not negativity.
To try to reinforce the main concern:
It's the equivalent of the English Amateur rugby league jetting off to New Zealand to play the All blacks in a hybrid game including scrummaging. Wouldn't happen , crazy stuff! I Wouldn't glibly dismiss the Barrett assault, such tackles are very rare in Gaelic football , yet they are almost guaranteed in every game of this Rules fiasco, and are committed by ~20stone professional athletes.
The argument that " the players like it" - (of course they do, it's a chance to represent their country on an all expenses trip to the other side of the world ) , does not trump the GAA's responsibility to look after player safety.

tonto1888

Quote from: 6th sam on November 20, 2017, 03:07:54 PM
Good post Cavan.

It's the equivalent of the English Amateur rugby league jetting off to New Zealand to play the All blacks in a hybrid game including scrummaging. Wouldn't happen , crazy stuff! I Wouldn't glibly dismiss the Barrett assault, such tackles are very rare in Gaelic football , yet they are almost guaranteed in every game of this Rules fiasco, and are committed by ~20stone professional athletes.
The argument that " the players like it" - (of course they do, it's a chance to represent their country on an all expenses trip to the other side of the world ) , does not trump the GAA's responsibility to look after player safety.

maybe I ave missed it but I haven't seen anyone glibly dismiss the tackle on Barrett. It was cowardly and borderline assault in my opinion

OgraAnDun

Good post Cavan.

If English rugby league amateurs were heading off on this tour, they wouldn't be the players at the top of their game. It would be like club GAA players who don't play county going.

Also, according to my limited research, most AFL players are not anywhere near 20 stone, but instead are in the 80-90kg range.

Rossfan

So how many of our lads were injured?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Good post Cavan.

Ah here 20 stone!! Most of our lads were as big or bigger, certainly no major difference in size between both squads. Cavanmaniac hit the nail on the head and OgraAnDun highlighted the fallacy of your comparison between amateur rugby league players playing the All Blacks.

Look, it's not the most important event in sport but why lads are getting exercised about a game that's liked by players, supporters and is a nice reward for some of our top players, especially those from weaker counties, is bizarre. Like cavanmaniac, I used to really enjoy it but now will watch it and cheer Ireland on but am not too bothered about the result.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 20, 2017, 03:58:34 PM
So how many of our lads were injured?

Australian food was more of a threat to the health of our players than AFL monsters..

Rossfan

Apart from the phantom who boxed one lad's jaw.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: CJ2017 on November 15, 2017, 01:49:32 AM

Those 1967 lads were bigger and stronger looking than the current Aussie crop. 20 stone athletes?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 20, 2017, 10:38:13 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 19, 2017, 11:32:17 PM
My points are nothing to do with our ability to beat the Australians in a made-up sport, it's about contributing to  promoting another sport which has robbed us of some of our best talent. More importantly exposing amateur GAA players to increased risk of injury in an unfamiliar, highly attritional contact sport against heavier ,presumably better conditioned full time top professionals. Even junior club GAA pre-seasons are at least 6-8 weeks long , progressively exposing Players to equip them for the rigours and risks of a game they are familiar with , against fellow amateurs with a similar level of conditioning. Yet with the rules concept , with minimal prep, we are exposing them to the unfamiliar rigours and risks of this sport against full timers, who are usually much heavier and more cynical.  it's indefensible and we need to wise up!

Some people just hate this concept and that's fair enough, I used to really enjoy it whereas now I watch it and forget about it quick enough without getting too exercised, but I think you're running away with yourself a wee bit in the rhetoric stakes above.

Your alluding to 'highly attritional' and the 'rigours' and the 'risks' might have had a shred of truth about ten years ago when Aussie pole-axing was defintely de rigeur, but these days the series is largely sanitised. So much so that another chief argument of some detractors, only partly tongue-in-cheek, is that there's never any fighting any more. This in itself is used as a further stick by other detractors, tongue-not-in-cheek, to beat the concept a little more, because if people only watched it for the rows that don't happen any more, then surely we should get rid of it to hell.

The hit on Barrett aside (which was nasty, yes, but occurred in isolation, the forearm by Fyfe near the sideline looked worse than it was I think), there's seldom anything happens these days to start jumping up and down about, and anything that does happen frequently has equivalents occurring on our own playing fields anyway. You'll probably argue the toss about that but before you do, ask yourself simply and calmly whether our own players would genuinely play this game so willingly and as earnestly as we saw at the weekend if they felt they were risking life and limb or a career-ending injury every time they step on the field? Or are they all raving lunatics with barely a scrap of cop on at all at all?

The other notion, that we're promoting another sport and denuding ourselves of our best talent is flat-out farcical, jaded cliche. There's a very limited pool of Grade A, marquee talent in GAA to begin with, and only a further subset of that would be identified by AFL clubs as raw material for their game (Cavanagh yes, Gooch no etc.), and a further subset of that again that actually wants to go over there (Cavanagh no etc.). It's far from the lines shuffling off of coffin ships that you'd have us believe. What's more, what about all the guys who went out and then came home later (there are quite a few) to the actual - heavens above - benefit of their counties and clubs because of the enhanced conditioning and professional environment they had a chance to taste? There are plenty of other positives associated with the series too but they too are well worn at this stage, so I'll spare you, but whatever your read on it, the quality and competitiveness of this year's contests shows that it's a live prospect for the years ahead, the players like it, the brass are behind it so people need to dry their eyes and move on a small bit because it's here to stay.

These doomsday scenarios and dystopian rants every year over a bit of a jolly in the sun over two weekends get on my nerves a bit. There are much bigger and uglier boils much closer to home doing more damage to our game and our players and our efforts would be better directed to addressing those I think.

Could not agree more. There's far too much whinging and over-stating of problems in the GAA. Seems like there's scarcely a week that goes by without some clown penning another article predicting the imminent death of hurling or football at a time when the games have never been more popular. A few players, few enough to count on your fingers, go to Australia to try AFL, half of them come back, and there's panic about the "exodus." People need to keep a bit of perspective.

Eamonnca1

Any harm in talking about the aesthetics of the game? Personally I find it great to watch. Seems to flow a lot better. No pulling and dragging, no blanket defences because of the mark. I say take out the behind posts and incorporate the rest of the rules into GAA football.

bennydorano

Quote from: heffo on November 20, 2017, 12:31:13 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 19, 2017, 07:41:43 PM
What real costs are there tho? Use of GAA Grounds (probably free), use of DCU facilities, facilitated by a few already contracted coaches / officials, the cost of a few Business class plane Tickets - probably freebies from Emirates who are involved as Sponsors.

Ethihad were GAA sponsors - not any longer.

They might have thrown out a couple of upgrades on the very QT, that was the height of it though.
It was Emirates and the AFL I was referring to.

Jinxy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 20, 2017, 07:29:20 PM
Any harm in talking about the aesthetics of the game? Personally I find it great to watch. Seems to flow a lot better. No pulling and dragging, no blanket defences because of the mark. I say take out the behind posts and incorporate the rest of the rules into GAA football.

If you were any use you'd be playing.