The Cost Of Dublin's Domination Is Becoming Clearer

Started by MoChara, February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Never underestimate the number of idiots in Dublin

or in Ireland for that matter.

look at the amount of people who follow Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc religiously despite those sports clubs not having any ideals that you would want your own GAA club or county to ever have. 

Stad

I wonder does your average Dublin fan know about the money? Maybe they know about it but ignore it or try to push it to the side because it tarnishes their acheivements?

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Stad on February 05, 2016, 02:22:20 PM
Reading this thread I think the question is would Dublin have won 3 out of the last 5 if they didn't get Irish Sports Council money and money from elsewhere? Would they have won any? Looking at it objectively I think it's fair to say that they would not have. They hadn't won any since 1995 and then suddenly they win 3 out 5. A coincidence? Doesn't seem likely.
So if they already have the best team in the country because of money paid to them, then surely they will only continue and improve on this? Seems a bit unfair. Surely they'll win at least 7 out of 10, how can they be stopped?

The above logic is completely flawed. The increased funding
started  10 or 11 years ago. Most of the key men on the Dublin team were already adult footballers at that stage so would not have benefitted from extra games development money. Cluxton. The brogans, Connolly, Flynn, macauley, brennan, bastick etc were all in their late teens or early twenties. GPOs coming into their clubs would have zero influence on their development.

Indeed the Dublin football development squad system was extremely mediocre until 3 or 4 years ago. . This team will break up in the next few years and the golden era will end and while Dublin have been decent underage in recent years they have hardly dominated nationally. I reckon that all the players mentioned above will be retired within 2 or 3 years and Dublin will be back in the pack.

Finally I'm watching Dublin footballers since the 70s. Until recently Kildare, Meath, laois and Offaly would have had top teams winning or at least competing for major honours. Maybe instead of asking the question, how come Dublin are so good? These counties should ask the question how come.we are so bad?

Syferus

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on February 05, 2016, 05:46:06 PM
Reading this thread I think the question is would Dublin have won 3 out of the last 5 if they didn't get Irish Sports Council money and money from elsewhere? Would they have won any? Looking at it objectively I think it's fair to say that they would not have. They hadn't won any since 1995 and then suddenly they win 3 out 5. A coincidence? Doesn't seem likely.
So if they already have the best team in the country because of money paid to them, then surely they will only continue and improve on this? Seems a bit unfair. Surely they'll win at least 7 out of 10, how can they be stopped?

started  10 or 11 years ago. Most of the key men on the Dublin team were already adult footballers at that stage so would not have benefitted from extra games development money. Cluxton. The brogans, Connolly, Flynn, macauley, brennan, bastick etc were all in their late teens or early twenties. GPOs coming into their clubs would have zero influence on their development.

Indeed the Dublin football development squad system was extremely mediocre until 3 or 4 years ago. . This team will break up in the next few years and the golden era will end and while Dublin have been decent underage in recent years they have hardly dominated nationally. I reckon that all the players mentioned above will be retired within 2 or 3 years and Dublin will be back in the pack.

Finally I'm watching Dublin footballers since the 70s. Until recently Kildare, Meath, laois and Offaly would have had top teams winning or at least competing for major honours. Maybe instead of asking the question, how come Dublin are so good? These counties should ask the question how come.we are so bad?

Because they don't have the money to compete with a professional sports team. Next question.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on February 05, 2016, 06:11:22 PM

Because they don't have the money to compete with a professional sports team. Next question.

Its not our fault you're crap Syferus

Michael Schmeichal

Roscommon were crap before this Dublin team started winning all Irelands and chances are they will still be crap long after their finished winning them

Syferus

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on February 05, 2016, 07:35:45 PM

Roscommon were crap before this Dublin team started winning all Irelands and chances are they will still be crap long after their finished winning them

Point proven. Sad some try to defend the money as not being the reason for the imbalance and when they're called on it they're reduced to the above two posts.

Stad

So how come those players you listed weren't winning 3 out of 5 before the 2011? If I remember correctly they were getting many the beating against Kerry, Tyrone etc. Did the players that benefitted from the extra money push them from being an average team to what they are now?

How can they go back into the pack when according to people here they're getting over 2 million to develop players? It would seem impossible.

manfromdelmonte

Over 12 years this funding is in place.

So any 26 year old on the Dublin panel would have come onto the U14 development squad aged 13/14. So a good chunk of them have benefitted.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Stad on February 05, 2016, 08:06:23 PM

So how come those players you listed weren't winning 3 out of 5 before the 2011? If I remember correctly they were getting many the beating against Kerry, Tyrone etc. Did the players that benefitted from the extra money push them from being an average team to what they are now?

How can they go back into the pack when according to people here they're getting over 2 million to develop players? It would seem impossible.

I'd say the fact they got rid of pillar Caffery and. brought in pat Gilroy may have had something to do with it.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 05, 2016, 08:12:53 PM

So any 26 year old on the Dublin panel would have come onto the U14 development squad aged 13/14. So a good chunk of them have benefitted.

I have some involvement with Dublin development squads. They are pretty much the same.as the Tipp squads listed above. One t shirt per year gear along with sorts and socks. One or two away games.aside from blitzes. No strength and conditioning  activity until.u17. These.are the facts. There is no more money spent on them than there is anywhere else and considerably less.than a lot of.counties.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on February 06, 2016, 12:12:00 AM

I have some involvement with Dublin development squads. They are pretty much the same.as the Tipp squads listed above. One t shirt per year gear along with sorts and socks. One or two away games.aside from blitzes. No strength and conditioning  activity until.u17. These.are the facts. There is no more money spent on them than there is anywhere else and considerably less.than a lot of.counties.

Counties like Mayo are burying themselves in huge debt to try and keep up with what Dublin are spending on their senior team at the minute. They have the biggest sponsorship deal in the country, their income dwarfs that of every other county in the country, they have a  big brand and good relationships with big companies. They should be able to finance themselves accordingly without the help of central funding.

I don't know if Dublin and Mayo disclose the money they are currently pumping in to their senior team but I would imagine it is obscene. The difference is Dublin are well able to sustain that money year on year while also providing the very best for underage football and development in the county. Mayo on the other hand are throwing their lot on this particular generation of players and won't be able to sustain it in the long run.

Tyrone in comparison operate on very strict budgets and I would hazard a guess that their spend on county teams is significantly less than Mayo's or Dublin's last year.

Kerry also seem to be pretty well ran but they have the caveat of Kerry Group if they ever feel like they're falling behind the field.

Donegal have pumped a lot of money in the last few years but I get the feeling that is being reined in now.

Dublin are like the juiced up cyclist, it can set the pace and it knows that nobody else has the reserves to properly keep up with it. As I said earlier the Dublin fans who deny these advantages and are unwilling to admit they exist remind me of unionists. It shouldn't be used to diminish their achievements but this money has created a huge imbalance in the Championship.

Kerry have always dished out beatings in Munster because they are the only footballing team in the province. Nothing will ever probably change there unless football starts to gain a foothold in other counties.

There's only about 3 or 4 teams in the entire country who you could see get within 10 points of Dublin in a big game, this was never the case with Tyrone or the Kerry teams that dominated football in the past decade. This was pre an era of massive financial discrepancy. Kerry and Tyrone may have been putting more money into their teams than most but they weren't putting 20 or 30 times what some of the rest of the field were.

Mayo's dominance of Connacht is a worry at the minute (by dominance I mean them handing 20+ point beatings out regularly) but in the long run they don't have the money to sustain what they're at and that domination will end.

Dublin's dominance of Leinster and Ireland will continue as they have the money to sustain it and nobody can match them.

manfromdelmonte

Ok.
What about the quality of coaching they receive from full time staff? Having the full time staff to plan and co-ordinate the whole thing.
The fact most of those players have come from clubs where there have been full time GPOs in place to plan and deliver coaches plans in clubs.

Its not a coincidence that Dublin have probably the best coach education and workshop program for coaches in the country

JoG2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 06, 2016, 08:51:58 AM

Ok.
What about the quality of coaching they receive from full time staff? Having the full time staff to plan and co-ordinate the whole thing.
The fact most of those players have come from clubs where there have been full time GPOs in place to plan and deliver coaches plans in clubs.

Its not a coincidence that Dublin have probably the best coach education and workshop program for coaches in the country

I've seen first hand the backroom team the Dublin feile teams bring,  it's pretty much the same as a senior county setup! 

Cunny Funt

Mayo's dominance of Connacht is a worry at the minute (by dominance I mean them handing 20+ point beatings out regularly) 
Over the last 5 years I can only think of three 20+ point wins Mayo had, leitrim at home New York and Sligo in last years Connacht final. Galway gave Mayo a good game last year,Roscommon twice got within one score of Mayo in 2011,2014. Sligo lost the Connacht final by only 2 points in 2012 and London brought Mayo to extra time in 2011.