Allianz Football League 2017 - Division 3

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on March 06, 2017, 09:33:11 AM
Spot on Ballyroanabu. Another worrying point people seem to be overlooking is Sligo were more or less missing there three best forwards Mark Brehony(wasn't playing), David Kelly ( wasn't playing) Pat Hughes( only fit to play last ten not near full fitness) and there brightest young player Cian Brehony ( not fit only played last ten) 4 main players. And oh yes Brenadan Egan from St Vincent's only played the last 15. A patched up Sligo team.
Hard to believe a full strength Laois side didn't beat them.

town1980

macmahon was excellent and how we have waited so long to play him is beyond me,,,,quigley did ok but he gave away 3 scores with his distribution,,,look we can win the last three games too the oposition is very poor but so are we like broanabu said i think management have learnt absolutely nothing and its another loss,,,we chat about lads comming back but most of them were on the field while sligo had so many of there stars not playing,,laois football is in a bad place at the minute

redsetanta

It's continuity we need as this is a transitional period for Laois football with so many of our better players coming towards the end of their playing days. Whether that is Creedon or a home grown manager is up to the CB but looking for him to go after 4 games is crazy stuff.
When the appointment was made i was relatively happy to hear it based on his stint with Tipperary. We need to start producing better underage players to be able to compete down the line because they are not coming through at the moment. Its' 10 years since our last decent minor team and look at the contribution that made to the county team.
You can have all the managers you want but unless you have a certain quality of players you are where you are. Just look where Offaly are at the moment beaten by 30 points.
We need stability and a manager that has the respect of the players who will work together and give 100% for the county.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on March 06, 2017, 09:43:07 AM
macmahon was excellent and how we have waited so long to play him is beyond me,,,,quigley did ok but he gave away 3 scores with his distribution,,,look we can win the last three games too the oposition is very poor but so are we like broanabu said i think management have learnt absolutely nothing and its another loss,,,we chat about lads comming back but most of them were on the field while sligo had so many of there stars not playing,,laois football is in a bad place at the minute
Laois had the winning of that game the same as sligo did. Sligo though didn't lose an experienced central player to a moment of stupidity. O Loughlin McMahon and and Quigley can't be blamed for that.

BallyroanAbu

Unfortunately the rot has already set in,  TOF was a joke manager, Lillis was dreadful & Creedon unfortunately was a gamble who has not worked out.  The CB and most of Laois Football fail to realise that we are going to have to think outside the box to start to rebuild.  Poor performance on the pitch = less support and money.  This means we are unable to put more development coaches out into our big towns, Players commit for a few months then just give up.  Do people honestly think we're going to get better without doing something radical.  Yes the answer is we should get rid of our manager  as this guy is clearly a waste of our time and money.  We cannot afford to spend 5 years rebuilding we need green shoots of recovery fast.  We are into our fifth year of regression so I think we have wasted enough time.

Laoiseabu

Who has to come back at this stage?   Damien O Connor wouldn't be any different to the rest of the back , Timmons wouldn't be any upgrade on Booth at this stage of his career, Gary Walsh I think is not involved ( attitude problems) , Evan O Carroll if he gets himself fit and focused is the only one that can make a difference so it's scarce isn't it.

Giovanni

No, it's all Meaney's fault and it's as simple as that..........

town1980

i have to say ballyroanabu your making alot of sense,,,,quigley i havent seen him play a game for laois and to see him come on then i just think thats madness he was so rusty and im not running him down its a management decision but does not look great for lads training since october,,evan and garyy are the only two that would have made a differance thats all we have lads

Timmy

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 06, 2017, 10:51:44 AM
Unfortunately the rot has already set in,  TOF was a joke manager, Lillis was dreadful & Creedon unfortunately was a gamble who has not worked out.  The CB and most of Laois Football fail to realise that we are going to have to think outside the box to start to rebuild.  Poor performance on the pitch = less support and money.  This means we are unable to put more development coaches out into our big towns, Players commit for a few months then just give up.  Do people honestly think we're going to get better without doing something radical.  Yes the answer is we should get rid of our manager  as this guy is clearly a waste of our time and money.  We cannot afford to spend 5 years rebuilding we need green shoots of recovery fast.  We are into our fifth year of regression so I think we have wasted enough time.

Mad stuff here!

So after 4 league games Creedon has already not worked out and a waste of time and money?? 4 games!

Radical thinking, think outside the box....or maybe just do what has got us any bit of success we've had over the last 20 years. Start producing underage quality again!

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Timmy on March 06, 2017, 11:45:15 AM

Mad stuff here!

So after 4 league games Creedon has already not worked out and a waste of time and money?? 4 games!

Radical thinking, think outside the box....or maybe just do what has got us any bit of success we've had over the last 20 years. Start producing underage quality again!

No worse than whats gone on for the last 5 years, for 5 years people have been saying things are going to turn around they have not, more like a whole  lot worse.  You can't produce underage quality on the money given to County Boards by Leinster Council & Croke Park.   The O Moore Park development while positive is no advantage every county in Ireland got one.  We need more games development officers, however that's not going to happen without money.  Senior Teams, U21 teams & minor teams have been dreadful , end result raising money is not happening.  We need results on the field to get the vibe going thats why Creedon is doing untold damage.  This is not entirely of his making but unfortunately he can not lift us from it.   Cut the cord sooner rather than later, we are only wasting time.  Portarlington, Portlaoise, Graigue & Mountmellick are providing poor returns on population.  We need to do something radical to get back into these towns.

redsetanta

Your argument is valid and I agree with alot of it but it's for another thread.

Regarding the next game, it will really be a '4 pointer' in two week in Antrim, a game that is a must win however Antrim managed to go to Sligo and win so it will be no easy task. Our advantage is that we have played the top teams in the division which gives us a chance.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Timmy

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 06, 2017, 12:02:44 PM

Mad stuff here!

No worse than whats gone on for the last 5 years, for 5 years people have been saying things are going to turn around they have not, more like a whole  lot worse.  You can't produce underage quality on the money given to County Boards by Leinster Council & Croke Park.   The O Moore Park development while positive is no advantage every county in Ireland got one.  We need more games development officers, however that's not going to happen without money.  Senior Teams, U21 teams & minor teams have been dreadful , end result raising money is not happening.  We need results on the field to get the vibe going thats why Creedon is doing untold damage.  This is not entirely of his making but unfortunately he can not lift us from it.   Cut the cord sooner rather than later, we are only wasting time.  Portarlington, Portlaoise, Graigue & Mountmellick are providing poor returns on population.  We need to do something radical to get back into these towns.

I'm pretty sure for the last 5 years people have been predicting exactly where we are now! Who's been saying things will turn??

Look unfortunately we are at our level now. This is not Creedon's fault, he's only been working with the players for about 4 months. He needs to be given a chance, unless you have someone better in mind???

I accept playing for Laois may not be the 'cool' thing to do for a young lad in Laois anymore, but there was also no success to speak of in counties like Monaghan, Cavan, Roscommon or Tipperary before they got their acts together.

And we happen to have some of the main people in the Tipp story in Laois now. But maybe we should just get rid of him!!

Helix

There's too much of a laissez faire attitude in the county expecting the county board to fix the lack of talent in the county. Until this attitude is addressed we will go nowhere. The clubs as a whole need to be more proactive in recruiting players and developing rather than have a divine right to players,  particularly in the urban areas as previously mentioned. Rugby soccer has had a massive rise in playing over the years. We took our eye off the ball and are paying dearly for it in the county.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 06, 2017, 12:02:44 PM

Mad stuff here!

It seems everyone is at fault for this omnishambles

1.Creedon can only deal with what he is given,he is at the very end of the conveyor belt,this is the culmination of 10 years of underachievement and woeful mis-management at underage level.

2.The Funding for the GDA's comes from Hq and isn't based on the senior county teams current performance,thank fut for that.

3.Its up to the county board to present a viable business case for more funding for GDA's etc....,a little bit more professionalism and backbone in this area please,if you shout louder you tend to get more.(a la Portlaoise GAA and their  rathleague funding from central council)

4.I would have serious concerns as to some of the work being produced by the GDA's,I was recently at an u16 training session in a club which my nephew is a panel member,The GDA rocked up with very little in the way of required training equipment  and didn't see fit to inform the club what was needed,the same fella doesn't seem to drive himself either,i've seen him on 3 occasions being driven to sessions,maybe there is a reason for this,I hope to jaysus we didn't hire a GDA without a drivers licence.

5.The 4 towns you've mentioned need to have a look at why they are failing to produce,even if you had 10 GDA's it up to these clubs and their mentors to get the finger out,get a coherent infrastructure in place and get playing numbers up.

one final thing,there's nothing to stop 1,2 or even 3 clubs banding together and hiring in a full time  GDA,HQ will fund 1/2 (up to a certain point) of the cost.

BallyroanAbu

I realise Croke Park pays for the GDA's but nothing stopping the County Board raising additional funding themselves and paying more GDA's out of their own pocket.  Problem here is that the Croke Park nearly breeds a dependency on them for funding.  Counties should be well able to raise cash themselves.