All Stars of the Sunday Game era.

Started by Estimator, April 28, 2020, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Matt Connor was before my time so based on players I've seen I'd go with Murphy, Gooch & Joyce.

thewobbler

Honest question, one for Tyronnies.

Did Peter Canavan ever line out as a half forward in a championship match for Tyrone?

I can't think of him doing so in any of his Ulster winning sides. Maybe he did in the intervening years?

redzone

Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2020, 02:55:13 PM

Did Peter Canavan ever line out as a half forward in a championship match for Tyrone?

I can't think of him doing so in any of his Ulster winning sides. Maybe he did in the intervening years?
No but it says on the rte website he won most his all stars out there

Estimator

Quote from: redzone on May 12, 2020, 07:45:51 PM

No but it says on the rte website he won most his all stars out there

From the RTE website:
"Also in there from the province was Peter Canavan who won the first of his six All-Stars in 1994. The following year (FOTY), he almost single-handedly drove Tyrone to a maiden All-Ireland against Dublin, when kicking 11 points. He did eventually go on to lift Sam as Red Hand skipper, but as two of his All Stars came in the half-forward line, he has already been selected on the 45 for this team."

First (1994) and last (2005) All-star awards were in the HF line. Though the 2005 award was a bit strange considering the year Brian McGuigan had. I think Tyrone had 7 nominations in the forwards that year. Both Canavan and Mugsy were selected in the half forward line.
Ulster League Champions 2009

redzone

Peter Canavan may be considered by many to be more of a lethal inside forward, but his six All-Stars were book-ended in the half-forward line.

That's from rte website as well. Strange

thewobbler

Quote from: redzone on May 12, 2020, 09:37:11 PM
Peter Canavan may be considered by many to be more of a lethal inside forward, but his six All-Stars were book-ended in the half-forward line.

RTE's panel determined to continue its nonsense from the past through to the future.

I'd have a lot of respect for Canavan if he called them out.

imtommygunn

Did he not get one at chf the year Frank Mcguigan went mad at Brian not getting one?

I very much doubt they were all at chf but I think I do recall one anyway.

Estimator

Yep, first and last (94, 05) were in the half forward line.
Middle four in the full foward line - '95, '96, '03 at FF and '02 in the corner.

thewobbler

Quote from: Estimator on May 12, 2020, 11:18:41 PM

Middle four in the full foward line - '95, '96, '03 at FF and '02 in the corner.

But the point being Is he didn't play half forward for Tyrone in 94 or 05. He was fitted into an All Star spot both years, rather than winning it in his rightful position

Angelo

Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2020, 11:24:51 PM

But the point being Is he didn't play half forward for Tyrone in 94 or 05. He was fitted into an All Star spot both years, rather than winning it in his rightful position

Not necessarily that he was fitted in - more that he was moved about to fit someone else in though the 05 one was probably more of a sentimental one given it was his farewell year. He was a bit part player that year as he was still struggling with injuries but made an enormous impact at the same time. McGuigan was definitely robbed of one in 05 as he was superb.

Wouldn't be the first time that a player has won an All Star though off the back of hardly playing, think Donaghy was only introduced in the dying moments of the drawn SF with Mayo in injury time and ended up winning one.

The All Star selection process is a joke. Mannion winning his last two at wing forward, Colm Cavanagh getting selected at full back, Brian Howard winning his two all stars at half back and midfield despite playing 90% of his Championship football at wing forward for Dublin.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Angelo on May 13, 2020, 08:13:04 AM

Not necessarily that he was fitted in - more that he was moved about to fit someone else in though the 05 one was probably more of a sentimental one given it was his farewell year. He was a bit part player that year as he was still struggling with injuries but made an enormous impact at the same time. McGuigan was definitely robbed of one in 05 as he was superb.

Wouldn't be the first time that a player has won an All Star though off the back of hardly playing, think Donaghy was only introduced in the dying moments of the drawn SF with Mayo in injury time and ended up winning one.

The All Star selection process is a joke. Mannion winning his last two at wing forward, Colm Cavanagh getting selected at full back, Brian Howard winning his two all stars at half back and midfield despite playing 90% of his Championship football at wing forward for Dublin.

It is indeed.
I wouldn't get too hyped up over this team selection either way, the voting has been a bit of a joke given that certain players have been available for selection in several lines on the pitch while other All Star winners were not available for selection at all during the process.
Canavan would certainly make a team of All Stars of the Sunday Game era for me personally but only in the FF line, he's not a half forward and his inclusion there at the expense of far more deserving HF's is strange.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 13, 2020, 03:33:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 13, 2020, 08:13:04 AM

It is indeed.
I wouldn't get too hyped up over this team selection either way, the voting has been a bit of a joke given that certain players have been available for selection in several lines on the pitch while other All Star winners were not available for selection at all during the process.
Canavan would certainly make a team of All Stars of the Sunday Game era for me personally but only in the FF line, he's not a half forward and his inclusion there at the expense of far more deserving HF's is strange.

I was going to throw my tuppence in here but that post is as good a summation as I could manage.

I remember Martin Breheny (who was on the Allstar selection committee) in 2005 writing a ridiculous column trying to justify Canavan's selection at 11 instead of McGuigan..And I thought, ah well at least in time anyone who knows their stuff will see through this.

Then you get the latest drivel from RTE - "oh Canavan got Allstars at 11, therefore he's a half forward"..It makes a mockery of the thing, if it weren't a mockery already.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Champion The Wonder Horse

Ulster Minor Championship 1989 vs Armagh.

I know that doesn't count, but it answers your question.

Anyone discussing this team who doesn't have Peter Canavan as the first name on the team, in the full forward line (preferably at 15) is either taking the piss or a fool.

Estimator

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 14, 2020, 09:41:21 PM

I can’t think of him doing so in any of his Ulster winning sides. Maybe he did in the intervening years?

Ulster Minor Championship 1989 vs Armagh.

I know that doesn’t count, but it answers your question.

Anyone discussing this team who doesn’t have Peter Canavan as the first name on the team, in the full forward line (preferably at 15) is either taking the piss or a fool.

1990 All-Ireland Under 21 Semi-Final v Meath as well.
(As an aside his club is listed as Killyclogher)

Definitely should have been selected in the FF line. Find it bizarre that he was chosen in the HF line.