FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

He's looking to put pressure on oneill to agree to that but something tells me Martin will be too smart for that carry on

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Syferus on March 06, 2018, 08:24:04 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on March 06, 2018, 08:15:30 PM
I see Michael O'Neill is looking for some sort of gentleman's agreement over players not being able to declare for the republic.  I hope Martin tells him where to go

Drink does tend to affect one's cognitive functions..

No dice.

He defo was on even more plonk than usual last night. Interesting that he is making a thing of the players religion and yet funny how he and Gerry in all their time at the IFA have done sweet fa to make it more desirable for Catholics to play for NI. I remember big Gerry's extensive research into the anthem brought the class conclusion. We probably need to change it but we won't. Anyway the whole poaching issue is tiresome, the rate the IFA are going they will end up with plenty of ex fai players scannel being the latest target.

red hander

Quote from: An Watcher on March 06, 2018, 08:37:34 PM
He's looking to put pressure on oneill to agree to that but something tells me Martin will be too smart for that carry on

Martin O'Neill has no say in the matter. This was settled couple of years back by Fifa and no amount of whingeing by the putrid statelet will change that. Michael's obviously been on the sauce again, hope his chauffeur is a patient guy  ::)

michaelg

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 06, 2018, 09:27:31 PM
I see Michael O'Neill is looking for some sort of gentleman's agreement over players not being able to declare for the republic.  I hope Martin tells him where to go

No dice.

He defo was on even more plonk than usual last night. Interesting that he is making a thing of the players religion and yet funny how he and Gerry in all their time at the IFA have done sweet fa to make it more desirable for Catholics to play for NI. I remember big Gerry's extensive research into the anthem brought the class conclusion. We probably need to change it but we won't. Anyway the whole poaching issue is tiresome, the rate the IFA are going they will end up with plenty of ex fai players scannel being the latest target.
Interesting because it's true.  I am fully aware of the current situation as to who can play for the ROI, but can you not see how only approaching catholics from NI could be perceived as a sectarian approach?

Jim_Murphy_74

In fairness any lad that needs to be 20+ or signed for a big English club before realizing that he is actually Irish rather than Northern Irish is either a tad confused or a mercenary ****.  Probably the latter.  Once out of the youth system you are a man. If you play for the "Black North"at U-21 then you have made your bed.

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 10:33:47 PM

No dice.

Interesting because it's true.  I am fully aware of the current situation as to who can play for the ROI, but can you not see how only approaching catholics from NI could be perceived as a sectarian approach?

Yes. It's logical why they do it, but it is by definition sectarian.

/Jim

Syferus

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 06, 2018, 10:37:21 PM
In fairness any lad that needs to be 20+ or signed for a big English club before realizing that he is actually Irish rather than Northern Irish is either a tad confused or a mercenary ****.  Probably the latter.  Once out of the youth system you are a man. If you play for the "Black North"at U-21 then you have made your bed.

/Jim.

What the heck is with this /Jim stuff?

Use a signature!

michaelg

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 06, 2018, 10:40:53 PM

No dice.

Yes. It's logical why they do it, but it is by definition sectarian.

/Jim
Yet it's the IFA who are acccused of being the sectarian association.  The IFA are in a no win situation really.

Applesisapples

No dice.

Alan Kernaghan, was he not a Bangor Protestant? If the IFA were serious about attracting Nationalists they would have dropped the anthem and loyalist flag years ago, but no that might lose them 90% of their loyalist base. As for the U21 nonsense as someone pointed out on twitter this would work against the IFA as in the past Darren Gibson and others chose not to play underage rather than become ineligible. If nationalists want to play for NI good luck to them but many who consider themselves Irish first and foremost should be free to choose the Republic.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 06, 2018, 11:06:02 PM
If nationalists want to play for NI good luck to them but many who consider themselves Irish first and foremost should be free to choose the Republic.

At what stage do they consider themselves Irish first and foremost.

Imagine a 21 year old doesn't feel that strongly while playing League of Ireland and plays for Northern Ireland U-21s but once gets signed for a premier league club comes to the attention of FAI?

How did his real nationality and allegiance allow him play for Northern Ireland in case the Republic don't come calling?

Michael O'Neill well within his rights to ask that Republic don't tap up anyone who had gone to that far with the other crowd.

/Jim.

From the Bunker

If they play for Ireland North or South - They are Irish to me! Just because two associations chose to remain apart does little or nothing to change this for me!

tyssam5

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 06, 2018, 11:33:56 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 06, 2018, 11:06:02 PM
If nationalists want to play for NI good luck to them but many who consider themselves Irish first and foremost should be free to choose the Republic.

At what stage do they consider themselves Irish first and foremost.

Imagine a 21 year old doesn't feel that strongly while playing League of Ireland and plays for Northern Ireland U-21s but once gets signed for a premier league club comes to the attention of FAI?

How did his real nationality and allegiance allow him play for Northern Ireland in case the Republic don't come calling?

Michael O'Neill well within his rights to ask that Republic don't tap up anyone who had gone to that far with the other crowd.

/Jim.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ forgave the thief on the cross, surely we can forgive a U-21 game or two?

Main Street

Now whisky nose O'Neill wants a gentleman's agreement, that any player capped by NI from the age of 17 onward be bound to the IFA forever,
We already have had this nonsense before, as well as those tapping up accusations -  with little or no evidence to support them.
I see /Jim just assumes those tapping up ravings as 100% true .....Jesus weeps again.
The FAI have always maintained that if a player calls them up, they respond, that's not tapping up.
Whisky nose O'Neill was quoted as saying   "see Sean Scannell,  his blood line is from the North"
Wtf, is he on about bloodline to a piece of turf in Armagh? as if that should define less connectionj to the FAI team and more to the IFA team, his brain must be befuddled. Nordies by dint of birth in the 6 counties have a different "irishness" about them,  different than those people born down south??

Players have the right to choose, the reason for that is simple. According to the FIFA statutes  the player's (civil) rights are superior to the rights of the association. When it comes to international eligibility, the  player's right to choose comes first, as long as he/she is eligible to change associations.

AQMP

No dice.

IF the FAI approaches anyone from the North, surely it would be because of their perceived national identity, not their religion??

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2018, 12:10:41 AM
I see /Jim just assumes those tapping up ravings as 100% true .....Jesus weeps again.

I am not particularly interested in whether lads approach the FAI or vice versa.  I am sure there is plenty of hinting etc. done quietly.

What I do accept is the it is particularly galling when a lad who plays U-20 or senior friendly games for Northern Ireland then decides to make the jump.  So whether you think that is fair enough or not, it's surely fair enough for Michael O'Neill to ask his buddy Martin O'Neill to not do that.  If Martin says no dice then fair enough.

However, I think it's a joke that lads go straight for getting personal about Michael O'Neill and alcoholism etc..l as if it's completely out of whack.

/Jim.