Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: restorepride on November 25, 2020, 12:20:29 AM
Quote from: marty34 on November 24, 2020, 11:49:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 24, 2020, 11:46:12 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 24, 2020, 11:43:17 PM
The issue of Dublin and money comes up regularly.

My opinion is that this is a one off talented group of players who have come along at the right time.  Problem is now that they are at the top, all they need is one or two new players to stay there, at thst high level. 

Regards the money and funding re: the footballers, the question that I have is why are their hurlers, with the same "benefits" not wining Leinster with their B team and winning 5 in a row Liam Mc Carthys?

I think it's time people stop whinging about Dublin get this and that etc. and get their own county into a bit of shape. No excuses - put the work in at club level.

I'm not a Dub btw.

Where are u from?

As stated, not from Dublin.
The present Dublin players are the best footballing team I have ever seen - fabulous to watch and I really enjoy their style.  However, his can make some others very jealous.  Dublin have won 59 provincial titles.  Kerry have won 81 - not much complaint about that - until Dublin started to dominate Leinster!  Up to the rest to reach the standard - tough going, but that is the way it has always been.  Fermanagh have never won Ulster but by Jaysus they try hard every year.  Kerry won 7 All-Irelands in 9 years in the 70/80s and were getting funding from advertisements - no complaints.  They won 28 Munsters inside 36 years, in living memory, and no complaints.  Dublin players deserve more appreciation not jealousy.  I'm not a Dub, btw!!!!

This is important - nobody ever complained about Kerry's dominance in Munster or Kilkenny's dominance in Leinster and All-Ireland hurling or Crossmaglen's dominance in Armagh and suggested they be split

People sometimes complain that the modern generation is getting soft and while I would largely disagree with that, it's really difficult to think that much of the populist reaction to Dublin's success is not symbolic of an ideology where some people expect things to be handed to them rather than achieving them through hard work

That's certainly very prevalent in the rest of Leinster at the moment

It's basically the Homer Simpson ideology - if something is hard, it's not worth doing - quit

It's very sad to see

As soon as Dublin is split, by the way, that's probably the end for a load of county teams, because if you split a county because they're "too successful", then there's little reason by the same logic not to wind up many county teams and amalgamate them with other counties into regional teams

Like, if Dublin are split, well what's the point in carrying on with county teams for Leitrim, Longford, Derry, Antrim, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Laois, Offaly, etc - because they're never going to win anything anyway

And a lot more

The principle of splitting Dublin maintains that units which make up county teams should be comparable on a population level - and if you follow through that logic, it means the end of most county teams

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 01:05:38 AM
Quote from: restorepride on November 25, 2020, 12:20:29 AM
Quote from: marty34 on November 24, 2020, 11:49:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 24, 2020, 11:46:12 PM

My opinion is that this is a one off talented group of players who have come along at the right time.  Problem is now that they are at the top, all they need is one or two new players to stay there, at thst high level. 

Regards the money and funding re: the footballers, the question that I have is why are their hurlers, with the same "benefits" not wining Leinster with their B team and winning 5 in a row Liam Mc Carthys?

I think it's time people stop whinging about Dublin get this and that etc. and get their own county into a bit of shape. No excuses - put the work in at club level.

I'm not a Dub btw.

Where are u from?

As stated, not from Dublin.
The present Dublin players are the best footballing team I have ever seen - fabulous to watch and I really enjoy their style.  However, his can make some others very jealous.  Dublin have won 59 provincial titles.  Kerry have won 81 - not much complaint about that - until Dublin started to dominate Leinster!  Up to the rest to reach the standard - tough going, but that is the way it has always been.  Fermanagh have never won Ulster but by Jaysus they try hard every year.  Kerry won 7 All-Irelands in 9 years in the 70/80s and were getting funding from advertisements - no complaints.  They won 28 Munsters inside 36 years, in living memory, and no complaints.  Dublin players deserve more appreciation not jealousy.  I'm not a Dub, btw!!!!

This is important - nobody ever complained about Kerry's dominance in Munster or Kilkenny's dominance in Leinster and All-Ireland hurling or Crossmaglen's dominance in Armagh and suggested they be split

Everyone in Armagh complained about it!

It ruined club football in the county. The standard fell through the floor. Crowds got smaller. Fellas walked away from football altogether - lost to the GAA forever. A full recovery will take years, decades probably, even now that the cycle has been broken.

If the same is to be allowed happen at intercounty level we may just shut the whole show down immediately.

Should've just split the c***ts back into the Red Hands and Creggan Rovers after they'd done 10 in a row!
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 25, 2020, 12:10:55 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2020, 12:05:56 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 25, 2020, 12:04:07 AM
MR2 - There must be someone on the take in Mayo! That can be the only answer. Where does the money go?

Cork must be pissing it against the wall as well
The money is resting in Frank Murphy's account

Unlike the Dubs who got one for free - Cork have a Stadium to pay for and maintain.

Cork got a big helping hand from the GAA and the government, but don't let that get in the way of your cheap shots at Dublin.

It cost €96m to build PuC. Now despite what some might think here Dublin don't have that money just sitting in their bank account. To build a stadium would require additional GAA and government funding. This MB would explode if Dubs were to receive any funding from the GAA for something like that so they really can't win when dealing with people like yourself

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 25, 2020, 12:14:10 AM
And then there was silence!

Sorry I went to bed, so, are you going to tell me where all the money has gone in the Mayo? they haven't spent it on hurling.

This is one team at the top of that tree of spending, nothing to show for it until this year beating Galway
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

There's a contention from some on here on here that Dublin's access to greater funding compared to other counties contributes to Dublin's dominance. And there are others who dispute this - for those that dispute this point, do you dispute it on the grounds that 1) Dublin don't get greater funding? 2) the additional funding doesn't improve team preparation? or 3) some other reason?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 25, 2020, 08:34:20 AM
There's a contention from some on here on here that Dublin's access to greater funding compared to other counties contributes to Dublin's dominance. And there are others who dispute this - for those that dispute this point, do you dispute it on the grounds that 1) Dublin don't get greater funding? 2) the additional funding doesn't improve team preparation? or 3) some other reason?

Dublin are a better team because they have better players, I thought that was very obvious.. stick a sack full of money in their shorts won't make them run quicker or shoot more accurate. They are the better team because now, after years of dropping numbers in Dublin's GAA, they have a massive pool to pick from. the chart showing where the money is spent on its teams doesn't even have Dublin at the top
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

On the Cross note I found the same in Antrim. When St Galls were very good I went to a few of their games against Cargin as they were the next biggest rivals. I stopped going as they were winning pretty easily and it just wasn't interesting. I am sure this will trigger MR (more than he is already triggered for whatever reason ;D) but I would say I am far from alone in feeling like that. Kilcoo in Down are (or have) probably moved in that direction. It was great to see Galway have a different winner this year but I am sure in for example Cork with Nemo the same held true as well.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2020, 08:32:19 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 25, 2020, 12:14:10 AM
And then there was silence!

Sorry I went to bed, so, are you going to tell me where all the money has gone in the Mayo? they haven't spent it on hurling.

This is one team at the top of that tree of spending, nothing to show for it until this year beating Galway

A fair bit would have gone into the MacHale Park stand.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2020, 08:38:30 AM

Dublin are a better team because they have better players, I thought that was very obvious.. stick a sack full of money in their shorts won't make them run quicker or shoot more accurate. They are the better team because now, after years of dropping numbers in Dublin's GAA, they have a massive pool to pick from. the chart showing where the money is spent on its teams doesn't even have Dublin at the top

Not sure why you're replying to me if you're not going to answer the question tbh

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 25, 2020, 08:40:07 AM
On the Cross note I found the same in Antrim. When St Galls were very good I went to a few of their games against Cargin as they were the next biggest rivals. I stopped going as they were winning pretty easily and it just wasn't interesting. I am sure this will trigger MR (more than he is already triggered for whatever reason ;D) but I would say I am far from alone in feeling like that. Kilcoo in Down are (or have) probably moved in that direction. It was great to see Galway have a different winner this year but I am sure in for example Cork with Nemo the same held true as well.

Triggered to the point that it changes, these things come in cycles and while Dublin will never be as bad as they were during that lean period, they can't keep it up forever, teams come and go, there was a few games that Dublin could have lost, they were in the melting pot, one quick handpass or an interception and the game was lost to them, would we still be having this conversation?

While Cross Kilcoo, ourselves dominated, we did it with no money, just sheer determination, a bit of luck and as much as we would have wanted it to continue they pool dried up, we had won 5 odd minor and under 21 championships in a row and lost a serious amount of players that we couldn't keep, you can only do it for so long and Dublin will be the same.

Teams need to raise the bar, Did Cargin throw the towel in? No they have went on to win 4 out of 5 championships ..while the comparison with club and county is very different to a point (smaller pool) history has shown that maintaining that dominance isn't easy

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 12:48:40 AM

Cluxton, MDMA, Cian O'Sullivan, James McCarthy, Kevin McManamon, Philly McMahon, Mick Fitzsimons, Jonny Cooper, Dean Rock, most if not all of these guys will be gone in the next year or two

Yes a lot of the younger lads are very good, but that core of leadership is hugely difficult to replace

Nothing lasts forever

There's no guarantee at all that what replaces them will be as good, I would say it's likely they won't be

The likelihood is that Dublin will follow the same path as Kilkenny in hurling, always there, but not at the same level as the peak

What followed Shefflin and Walsh and Delaney and Larkin and Fennelly and Brennan and Tyrrell and Power largely wasn't quite as good

Kilkenny had Reid, Hogan, Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Paul Murphy, Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly, Conor Fogarty to follow on from those lads and remain there or thereabouts - as Dublin will have Kilkenny, Fenton, Small, O'Callaghan, Mannion, Howard and hopefully Jack McCaffrey to follow on for a few years from the players who will be departing soon

But even most of those guys will be hitting the 30 mark before very long, it's basically a decade since most were minors

Every year from 2008 on, the Kilkenny team was getting ever so slightly weaker every year because good as the replacements were, they mostly weren't quite at the level of those who were departing

This will almost certainly be the case with Dublin too

Ah, the usual talk that soon the present crew be retiring and are irreplaceable. Same was said of Flynn, O'Gara, MDMA, Brogans, Connolly, Andrew's. Only a few years ago were the once in a Generation and would be hard replaced.  ;D

Tubberman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2020, 08:38:30 AM

A deliberately ignorant reply, and if it's not deliberate then you really are an idiot.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

MayoBuck

Quote from: dublin7 on November 25, 2020, 08:05:27 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 25, 2020, 12:10:55 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2020, 12:05:56 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 25, 2020, 12:04:07 AM
MR2 - There must be someone on the take in Mayo! That can be the only answer. Where does the money go?

Cork must be pissing it against the wall as well
The money is resting in Frank Murphy's account

Unlike the Dubs who got one for free - Cork have a Stadium to pay for and maintain.

Cork got a big helping hand from the GAA and the government, but don't let that get in the way of your cheap shots at Dublin.

It cost €96m to build PuC. Now despite what some might think here Dublin don't have that money just sitting in their bank account. To build a stadium would require additional GAA and government funding. This MB would explode if Dubs were to receive any funding from the GAA for something like that so they really can't win when dealing with people like yourself

They must have a fair bit in the bank all the same. In the last 3 years Dublin GAA have spent €9m on a site in Spawell and earlier this month spent upwards of €15m on a site in Hollystown.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2020, 08:54:47 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 25, 2020, 08:40:07 AM

Triggered to the point that it changes, these things come in cycles and while Dublin will never be as bad as they were during that lean period, they can't keep it up forever, teams come and go, there was a few games that Dublin could have lost, they were in the melting pot, one quick handpass or an interception and the game was lost to them, would we still be having this conversation?

Dublin will never be as bad as they were during the lean period? When they were the 2nd most successful team nationally and won 5 Leinster titles in a row.

That's reassuring!

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-cork-and-donegal-went-out-with-the-wrong-attitude-1.4418194
That's the intensity Dublin bring to every game. They go out, they take every game seriously, they execute the skills of the game at a relentless speed. They crush all dreams of an upset as quickly as possible, they get a bite to eat and they head for home. They don't even look to me to be enjoying it.
Meanwhile, Dublin plough on, out of everyone else's reach. No time for messing, no interest in fairytales. There isn't a hope of anyone stopping them.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU