Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 24, 2020, 12:30:55 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 24, 2020, 09:43:30 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 24, 2020, 01:49:06 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 23, 2020, 10:02:58 PM
On another note Dublin club football is ridiculously strong. There are three or four teams who would be competitive for the all Ireland. No other county would have that.

Hurling is very strong too.

I don't think kk hurling is a good comparison either. Some of the best ever were in that team. Now they're gone kk aren't the same level at all. An example I would use for Dublin is Bernard brogan and even diarmuid Connolly. When any other county loses a player of the year material player they usually struggle to replace them. Dublin have lost two and not even batted an eyelid. The current dominance has just been a conveyor belt with absolutely no sign of stopping.

Additionally one of the biggest things I find the dubs dominate on is pace and power. You watch say Tyrone and someone like Marty Donnelly. When he plays against anyone bar Dublin his pace and power stand out. When he plays Dublin he is not even as pacy or powerful as Dublin's weakest player. That is not purely down to having the best set of players ever it's the resources they have available.

Dublin teams have won 4 AI club titles this decade. Behind Galway and the same as Armagh. Admittedly thats an improvement but it isn't exactly scorched earth.

Hurling is not 'very strong'.

How do resources increase pace and power? By that logic any culchie sponsor could write a cheque and win.

Exactly. Get a culchie AIG situated in every culchie county to write a cheque for a few million a year. Stop whinging culchies, and just get on with it!

Its the logical extrapolation of 'its just about resources' line

Yes it is. My comments didn't say it was just about resources if you're referring to it. You have the footballers too but a key attribute in footballers these days is athleticism which is greatly enhanced by a hugely professional setup. Most teams can't compete with you athletically never mind in football terms. Some can now and again. That is something that takes years to setup and involves a lot of knowhow. As someone said to me if you look historically at the conditioning of teams then the difference in this Dublin team is "lean muscle mass". Other teams have done huge amounts of conditioning but ended up trading off athleticism for power. Dublin have never done that. I am not expert enough in sports science to know what they have done that others haven't but clearly most other trainers aren't either or the difference wouldn't be so vast.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 02:32:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 24, 2020, 02:13:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 01:41:48 PM
The cries years ago about the GAA needs a strong capital, Dublin, that would have been true enough, they were competitive, but with the population they had they should have been cleaning up most years.
That didn't happen as much, the likes of Meath Kildare Offlay Laois and Westmeath were competing.
What encountered for Dublin though was the popularity of Big Jack and the soccer, now I could (and will be corrected no doubt) be wrong but I had a feeling that the GAA clubs were not getting as many numbers through in the late 90's early 2000?
So I assume that the powers that be decided to increase the playing numbers at juvenile level and throw money at this. I thought at the time that this was a good thing, increased GAA members and all that.
Now that we are at the point were the other teams (mentioned above) have fallen away, the Dubs for 15 years have sat proudly at the top..
Money can bring a lot, better training facilities, after dinner meals, physios, training plans and use of a S&C coach, free memberships of gyms
Out of the things I've mentioned above, which counties can't provide the above and if its different, how different is it?
For me the biggest thing as to why Dublin are so much better, they have the biggest pool and lots of decent competitive clubs to pull from, some teams have senior, senior b, seconds, Junior A and junior B. that's a lot to pick from and a platform for kids to develop.
They always had the bigger numbers but with a strategic plan (more money) they have been able harness that pool of players and pick the best.
Should the dominance continue, say for another 5 years and show no signs of changing, then I would possibly go for the split idea, though I doubt Dublin would.
In the meantime, counties need to look at the format used and ask for the same treatment, collectively they should achieve that, all of it should be based on numbers though. Fermanagh should not have or need the same budget of Dublin

So Fermanagh should be doubly screwed because of their population. Dublin are financially self-sufficient, it's counties like Leitrim, Fermanagh, Longford and co who have very little commercial backing that are the ones who need huge financial aid and support from the GAA. Between the economics and opportunities for young men to retain promising footballers and not lose them after their underage career is paramount.

What you have just supported is a rambing, illogical piece of gibberish focused on making the stronger counties stronger and the weaker counties weaker. Those at a natural disadvantage should be supported first.

Its based of membership, what would Fermanagh do with the money Dublin gets? If Dublin is self sufficient then why do the GAA continue to support them?

I've highlighted the bit in bold just in case you didn't read it, the playing membership is huge in Dublin than Fermanagh, if you are suggesting that Fermanagh get the same money then you are a nut!

If all the counties get the same treatment then there will be no excuse.

Improve facilities and welfare of their players and the costs of running county teams - counties like Leitrim, Fermanagh, Longford etc all run their teams on a fraction of the budget Dublin do - yet that's the benchmark. Fermanagh have lads coming from all corners of the island to play football for their team, an awful lot of the time probably at great expense to themselves and the county board. They had Che Cullen, one of their best players coming from Budapest to play matches last year - why? Because a county like Fermanagh can ill afford to lose a player of Cullen's ability. For small counties like Leitrim, Fermanagh and Longford they need every helping hand they can get. Ricey had to look to a number of Tyrone clubs to facilitate Fermanagh training in the winter months. Fermanagh have no centre of excellence, they have the smallest GAA numbers in the country, consistently punch above their weight but are a prime example of a county who are consistently ignored by GAA HQ.

But you think the GAA should keep on funding a county that already gets huge commercial investment through sponsorship, who have their county squad wheeling about in sponsored motors with paleo food delivered to their doors who most have ambassadorial jobs and all the other perks along with additional funding?

Dublin GAA are well able to look after themselves funding wise and they should not need the GAA further looking after them, they should be investing in smaller/weaker counties who are going to struggle to keep their players involved after underage when they have to go off and further their studies and seek employment. There's not many Leitrim players who will get ambassadorial jobs like the majority of the Dublin team.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Angelo you are either blind, stupid or deaf..

Counties need to look at the format used and ask for the same treatment, collectively they should achieve that..

That's a statement in my post, they should be getting money based on their numbers and requirements, giving a county the size of Fermanagh (based on their numbers) the money Dublin gets, is reckless, as much as Fermanagh would bite your arm off for that, its not proportionally correct.

I fail to see how you don't see that..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

northsideboy

. There's not many Leitrim players who will get ambassadorial jobs like the majority of the Dublin team.

Hmm. I'd love to see you in charge of Cluxton's classes in St. David's CBS for example. Culchie bollixology.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: northsideboy on November 24, 2020, 04:51:33 PM
. There's not many Leitrim players who will get ambassadorial jobs like the majority of the Dublin team.

Hmm. I'd love to see you in charge of Cluxton's classes in St. David's CBS for example. Culchie bollixology.

Cluxton teacher
Small bank official
Fenton physio
Rock leisure centre job
Mccaffery doctor
Mannion Consulting Analyst

Some students there also but I'm sure some from the blue army could post up all their jobs.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 06:12:32 PM

Cluxton teacher
Small bank official
Fenton physio
Rock leisure centre job
Mccaffery doctor

Some students there also but I'm sure some from the blue army could post up all their jobs.

They used have player pics and bios for all the players on the Dublin GAA website. Don't know if it's still there.

For the idiots who think the dubs are all professional footballers a few more:

Fitzsimmons - physio
Cian O'Sullivan - tax consultant
McCarthy - works for AIB

MDMA - gave up a job as a primary school teacher and now works in Dublin inner city with communities and regeneration projects.

The Dublin players work hard, but do the basics right. Alot of the Dublin and Kerry players are two footed. Why do counties like Mayo produce defenders/midfielders on a consistent basis but can't find good forwards never mind forwards who can kick with both feet. That has to be a coaching issue.

Dubs have an intensity and work ethic money can't buy. They've been in some wars with Mayo/Kerry in the last decade and never lost any of them despite the hunger and desire of teams like Mayo. Compare that to Donegal who have some lovely footballers, but in the big games against Mayo and Cavan the last few years their big players (bar Michael Murphy) have wilted and disappeared when the pressure comes on

larryin89

That's incorrect , murphy wasn't much use in casltlebar last year or last Sunday.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on November 24, 2020, 06:54:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 06:12:32 PM

Cluxton teacher
Small bank official
Fenton physio
Rock leisure centre job
Mccaffery doctor

They used have player pics and bios for all the players on the Dublin GAA website. Don't know if it's still there.

For the idiots who think the dubs are all professional footballers a few more:

Fitzsimmons - physio
Cian O'Sullivan - tax consultant
McCarthy - works for AIB

MDMA - gave up a job as a primary school teacher and now works in Dublin inner city with communities and regeneration projects.

The Dublin players work hard, but do the basics right. Alot of the Dublin and Kerry players are two footed. Why do counties like Mayo produce defenders/midfielders on a consistent basis but can't find good forwards never mind forwards who can kick with both feet. That has to be a coaching issue.

Dubs have an intensity and work ethic money can't buy. They've been in some wars with Mayo/Kerry in the last decade and never lost any of them despite the hunger and desire of teams like Mayo. Compare that to Donegal who have some lovely footballers, but in the big games against Mayo and Cavan the last few years their big players (bar Michael Murphy) have wilted and disappeared when the pressure comes on
It takes at least 10nyears to form a player capable of winning an all Ireland. Other counties find nuggets. Dublin have a conveyor belt.

Mayo had one team from 2012 to 2018
They grew old together. The standard fell.
Dublin have had 3 teams  since 2009.

That's what the money.means
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

There have been no player work profiles in Programs for years.

There are many GAA players who take the piss of being eternal College Students. Many don't work or are in handy makey up jobs.

I presume there was a decision along the way to delete that section of Player Profiles as it was a bit embarrassing and threw a spanner in the Amateur ethos the GAA likes to hide behind.

caprea

To be fair Dublin are the first perfect GAA team there's ever being, the players on the field and on bench are all almost perfect athletes with maybe one or two exceptions, I'm thinking paddy Andrew's and Kevin Mcmanamon and murchan (only because he is a lot shorter than an average intercounty player) wouldn't have perfect athletic physiques but the rest do.

They are perfect footballers as well with very few if any weaknesses in their skill set.

All the players have all the tools. They are total footballers who can play in any position and be comfortable on the field. The only exception would be Michael Dara mcauley who had quite a limited skill set but is an effective team player.

This is not what county teams used to be. Tyrone were the team of the 00s along with Kerry but there lads on the team that weren't perfectly athletic. An example would be Conor Gormley. The likes of Kevin Hughes or quite a few other examples weren't great kickers of a football but they were there to fulfill a role and get the ball to the danger men.

Dublin are remarkable in that you are watching as close to professional perfection as any team will ever get to.

In comparison Mayo are a normal good GAA team but have players with weaknesses that can be exploited.

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 24, 2020, 07:24:30 PM

There are many GAA players who take the piss of being eternal College Students. Many don't work or are in handy makey up jobs.

I presume there was a decision along the way to delete that section of Player Profiles as it was a bit embarrassing and threw a spanner in the Amateur ethos the GAA likes to hide behind.

Just a FYI all the bios for the Dublin players remain on the Dublin GAA website for any curious people out there. There are a few students on the team but incredibly the vast majority have real jobs and don't live the life of professional footballers

caprea

Quote from: dublin7 on November 24, 2020, 07:50:12 PM

Just a FYI all the bios for the Dublin players remain on the Dublin GAA website for any curious people out there. There are a few students on the team but incredibly the vast majority have real jobs and don't live the life of professional footballers

I don't think Kilkenny has a job, he worked in 3 for a while,, not aware of any others.

But this is a nonsense side track of an argument anyway.

Gael85

Quote from: caprea on November 24, 2020, 07:52:09 PM

I don't think Kilkenny has a job, he worked in 3 for a while,, not aware of any others.

Ciaran Kilkenny is teaching in Ongar. Hill16 profiles are out of date. Brian Fenton is sales rep though I think was doing back physio for a while. Micky Fitz is now a doctor.  Dean Rock is fundraising manager for Stewart's Hospital

caprea

Quote from: Gael85 on November 24, 2020, 07:53:29 PM
Quote from: caprea on November 24, 2020, 07:52:09 PM

Ciaran Kilkenny is teaching in Blanchardstown.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

caprea

Trying to do down Dublin's players is pathetic. They are good individuals away from football and haven't brought a ounce of controversy on themselves away from the field except for Connolly I guess but overall they can't be criticized.