Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Does it matter if it's a direct quote or a summation or a paraphrase? The argument is the same.

Answer this: why do Dubs get so energised talking up their risk of defeat? Why is this especially prevalent following one of their routine 20+ point victories?

It's almost as if there's some concerted effort to distract from the f**king massive elephant in the room.

To revel in it too much would let the cat out of the bag. Never admit just how good you are. Just how much ahead of the field you are. How pointless the chase has become. I suppose that might sucker enough into thinking the whole thing is still a real competition.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Hound

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 22, 2020, 04:54:00 PM
Does it matter if it's a direct quote or a summation or a paraphrase? The argument is the same.

Yep, and either way you're lying about what I said. Doesn't make for great discussion. You should definitely 'try harder'.

Ed Ricketts

No effort to address the substance of the issue. Just some grammatical pedantry. I suppose some arguments just can't be sustained.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1122/1179771-orourke-meath-humiliation-bad-reflection-on-leinster/

"But it was a humiliation, and of course in the wider sphere of things it's a really bad reflection on Leinster football.

"I thought we were making progress. I thought we'd get closer to Dublin.

"I suppose the warning signals were there against Kildare in that we only scored nine points. Most good teams are scoring 16 or 18 points in championship football, even in the winter conditions that we have."

As the Dubs marched on in pursuit of their sixth All-Ireland SFC title in a row, Meath and the rest of the province were left to reflect on where they go to now.

"It doesn't look like Meath are progressing and it also shows that if you take Dublin out of Leinster you have a competitive championship," added O'Rourke.

"Whether Meath and the rest have regressed and Dublin have progressed, that's an argument you could have as well. Dublin are probably looking better at this stage than they have for many years, but it shows also that I think in general everybody else seems to be playing for the silver medal at this stage."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 02:40:15 PM
Quote from: Hound on November 22, 2020, 01:19:36 PM

Dublin have had some amazing matches with Mayo and Kerry over the last 5/6 years. Some of the greatest games there's ever been. I've no idea why Meath and Kildare are not as good as Mayo and Kerry.

The reason is that Dublin has smothered the Leinster Champonship for 15 years now.  15 years! The one title Meath won in 2010 they could not even enjoy.

Kildare and Meath teams are constantly chopping and changing squads to try to get the right formula. Consistency is huge when building a team. You can also image many good players not committing. Why would they?

Why did they ever?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2020, 04:25:21 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 04:02:54 PM
Quote from: shark on November 22, 2020, 03:15:23 PM

Dublin have had some amazing matches with Mayo and Kerry over the last 5/6 years. Some of the greatest games there's ever been. I've no idea why Meath and Kildare are not as good as Mayo and Kerry.

The reason is that Dublin has smothered the Leinster Champonship for 15 years now.  15 years! The one title Meath won in 2010 they could not even enjoy.

Kildare and Meath teams are constantly chopping and changing squads to try to get the right formula. Consistency is huge when building a team. You can also image many good players not committing. Why would they?

Exactly. Players won't commit. Been happening all across Leinster for years now. Lads chuck it in before they should be peaking.
Players will always commit to a set up which they think is serious

Mayo never have problems getting players to commit, there is a fierce hunger to win in the county and that's reflected in the senior set up they have, that's their culture

Ironically it's all those All-Ireland final defeats that have probably done more than anything to foster that culture and turn them into a pure, driven football county, every child in Mayo grows up dreaming of finally winning the All-Ireland for Mayo, they believe its achievable

Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels

I'd say if Jim Gavin or Malachy O'Rourke or Mickey Harte took over Meath, they wouldn't have too many problems getting players to commit

Davy Fitzgerald had no problems getting Wexford hurlers to commit

When Mick O'Dwyer took over Kildare, he energised the whole county

Jim McGuinness totally changed the culture in Donegal

"Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels"

Who would have won the all irelands 2010-19 if the Dubs hadn't been financially doped?

https://youtu.be/ZSm1j4oL8zA

Dublin

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2020, 04:25:21 PM

Exactly. Players won't commit. Been happening all across Leinster for years now. Lads chuck it in before they should be peaking.

Mayo never have problems getting players to commit, there is a fierce hunger to win in the county and that's reflected in the senior set up they have, that's their culture

Ironically it's all those All-Ireland final defeats that have probably done more than anything to foster that culture and turn them into a pure, driven football county, every child in Mayo grows up dreaming of finally winning the All-Ireland for Mayo, they believe its achievable

Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels

I'd say if Jim Gavin or Malachy O'Rourke or Mickey Harte took over Meath, they wouldn't have too many problems getting players to commit

"Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels"

Who would have won the all irelands 2010-19 if the Dubs hadn't been financially doped?

https://youtu.be/ZSm1j4oL8zA

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

https://youtu.be/O3G1bwD0ao0

The Dubs post Heffo struggled .
Laois and Wesmeath were the last straw.
The Frankenstein project followed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 22, 2020, 04:36:19 PM

More patronising shite. Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway just don't try hard enough. If only they wanted it as much as the Dubs! f**k me.

As for the other stuff - Harte often had his struggles to get players to commit to his own county.

Wexford hurlers are irrelevant. There is no monster in hurling.

O'Dwyer was in Kildare when the Dubs were mortal.

McGuinness got in with Donegal just in time. Before the machine was cranked to full power.

This post is exactly the type of subterfuge you usually go to town on in other topics.
But there was a monster in hurling - all the same things were said about them that has been said about Dublin - and other counties decided to take them down - they succeeded

Dublin were already a machine in 2014 - they were beaten

Only in 2018 did Dublin get a relatively clear run to the All-Ireland

In short, yes it is true - Meath, Down, Derry, Armagh, Cork etc. are not trying hard enough

Not trying hard enough means neglect of underage structures, neglect in terms of thinking, neglect in terms of persuasion of players, neglect in terms of attracting the business community, neglect in terms of administration, neglect of coaching

Sport is brutal - what Ray Boyne said last year is true - Dublin are one of a group of counties which do try harder - but also - nobody in Dublin doesn't acknowledge they have natural advantages  - of course they do

Dublin have natural advantages over Longford in the same way Germany have a natural advantage over Ireland in soccer - representative sport is inherently unfair

Since I wrote that post, Tipperary have won the Munster championship and Cavan have won Ulster

Neither was expected

Milltown Row2

Dublin are 1/5 now to win, they weren't even close to that price at start of season!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dinny Breen

Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 09:03:58 PM

More patronising shite. Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway just don't try hard enough. If only they wanted it as much as the Dubs! f**k me.

As for the other stuff - Harte often had his struggles to get players to commit to his own county.

McGuinness got in with Donegal just in time. Before the machine was cranked to full power.

This post is exactly the type of subterfuge you usually go to town on in other topics.
But there was a monster in hurling - all the same things were said about them that has been said about Dublin - and other counties decided to take them down - they succeeded

In short, yes it is true - Meath, Down, Derry, Armagh, Cork etc. are not trying hard enough

Not trying hard enough means neglect of underage structures, neglect in terms of thinking, neglect in terms of persuasion of players, neglect in terms of attracting the business community, neglect in terms of administration, neglect of coaching

Sport is brutal - what Ray Boyne said last year is true - Dublin are one of a group of counties which do try harder - but also - nobody in Dublin doesn't acknowledge they have natural advantages  - of course they do

Dublin have natural advantages over Longford in the same way Germany have a natural advantage over Ireland in soccer - representative sport is inherently unfair

Since I wrote that post, Tipperary have won the Munster championship and Cavan have won Ulster

Neither was expected

Dublin try harder, God give me f**king strength. Bullshit of the highest order.
#newbridgeornowhere

Silkyskillssunshinee

Dublin 1/100 to beat Cavan. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, I don't know what to tell ya..

From the Bunker

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on November 22, 2020, 09:41:32 PM
Dublin 1/100 to beat Cavan. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, I don't know what to tell ya..

In fairness Dublin have a great record at home in the Championship. You'd expect them to really up their game now that history beckons.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 22, 2020, 09:30:36 PM

Neither was expected

As a community, yes. There are huge areas of the country where gaelic games are third and sixth in terms of participation and the opposition have the facilities they don't in your county. We are generally not number 1 sport in a given area so have an additional set of problems your county doesn't have.

So getting kids out is harder and keeping them is harder. Getting punters to matches is harder as there is competition your county doesn't have.

Getting grants and funding is harder against bigger clubs in other sports.

Rossfan

39,000 registered players most of them football.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 09:48:46 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 22, 2020, 09:30:36 PM

Neither was expected

As a community, yes. There are huge areas of the country where gaelic games are third and sixth in terms of participation and the opposition have the facilities they don't in your county. We are generally not number 1 sport in a given area so have an additional set of problems your county doesn't have.

So getting kids out is harder and keeping them is harder. Getting punters to matches is harder as there is competition your county doesn't have.

Getting grants and funding is harder against bigger clubs in other sports.

Horseshit
#newbridgeornowhere