Eire90

the supers 8s are another disgrace.

sid waddell

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 01:49:55 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 22, 2020, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 11:12:53 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 21, 2020, 11:25:18 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 21, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
Donegal are fairly being talked up. What are we basing this on?

We are basing it on Kerry being out of the championship.

On Mayo being Mayo.

On Cork being a 3rd division team.

On Tipp and Cavan being still in the championship by default.

There is no one else to talk up!  :-\
I agree with that. Talk up the 2nd best team still left in the championship to make it sound more exciting. It doesn't matter if they are a fair bit behind Dublin.
Well, have a look at the last 5 All ireland finals, were the 2nd best teams that far behind in the final game?
Tyrone were tbh and that is Donegal's level.

I'm looking at a Donegal team who had a middling league, a very narrow win in a game of a poor standard against Tyrone (albeit in poor conditions) and a standard win against a very limited Armagh. I haven't seen anything from them to give me hope they can challenge the Dubs and I'm wondering what others have seen. That said, I'd love them to.
Dublin have only won one of the last four National Leagues

When Dublin were winning National Leagues every year this was cited as an indicator of how far ahead they were

Now they're not winning National Leagues every year maybe that will also be cited as evidence of how far ahead they are

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 01:49:55 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 22, 2020, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 11:12:53 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 21, 2020, 11:25:18 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 21, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
Donegal are fairly being talked up. What are we basing this on?

We are basing it on Kerry being out of the championship.

On Mayo being Mayo.

On Cork being a 3rd division team.

On Tipp and Cavan being still in the championship by default.

There is no one else to talk up!  :-\
I agree with that. Talk up the 2nd best team still left in the championship to make it sound more exciting. It doesn't matter if they are a fair bit behind Dublin.
Well, have a look at the last 5 All ireland finals, were the 2nd best teams that far behind in the final game?
Tyrone were tbh and that is Donegal's level.

I'm looking at a Donegal team who had a middling league, a very narrow win in a game of a poor standard against Tyrone (albeit in poor conditions) and a standard win against a very limited Armagh. I haven't seen anything from them to give me hope they can challenge the Dubs and I'm wondering what others have seen. That said, I'd love them to.
I think there's still a bit of improvement left in Donegal's game, possibly a McBrearty return?  As Insp Clouseau was prone to say, I  wouldn't rule them in or rule them out just yet,  of giving the Dubs a good game.  What's preferable if any, to  meet Dublin this year in the semi or the final?  My choice would be the semi.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Hound on November 22, 2020, 01:19:36 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 22, 2020, 11:21:35 AM
would Dublin beat an all ulster team.
Would this Dublin team easily beat the Tyrone team with Canavan, Stephen O'Neill, Dooher, McGuigan, Mulligan? That team had a great defence too.

I'm not putting down Tyrone because over the last 5-6 years they've been in and around the best team in Ulster, but they would hardly get within 5 or 6 points of that other Tyrone team. 

Leinster is boring. There's nobody putting it up to us.  Cakewalk. Part of it is certainly because this is the best Dublin team ever. But also part of it is because the current Meath and Kildare teams are nowhere near the best ever Meath and Kildare teams. Nowhere near.

Dublin have had some amazing matches with Mayo and Kerry over the last 5/6 years. Some of the greatest games there's ever been. I've no idea why Meath and Kildare are not as good as Mayo and Kerry.

But it's not just in recent years that the rest of Leinster has been cack.  We were waltzing through Leinster under Pillar and Gilroy and then getting whipped when we faced our first real challenge by the likes of Tyrone and Kerry.

It's been a freak that Dublin won the 5 in a row. We've certainly haven't been the best team in every game. The double OG game was absolutely freak luck that saved us. Mayo weren't slightly the better team, they were comfortably the better team on the day. They also most probably had us beaten the year Donie Vaughan decided to even up the numbers by doing something rather silly. 
Last year Kerry were the better team in the final. David Moran must still be kicking himself that after being the best player on the pitch he made an horrendous mistake at the end that helped Dublin sneak the draw. An easy ball to Tommy Walsh in acres of space with only Cluxton near him. Instead he dawdled and allowed 2 tacklers to dispossess him. And the rest is history.

I doubt the whiners would be as loud if we'd won 2 or 3 of the last 5. Dublin 3 Mayo 1 Kerry 1 (or even Dublin 2 Mayo 2 Kerry 1!) would be a fairer reflection of the the last 5 years than the 5-0-0 scorecard that resulted.

Full house!!

'Meath and Kildare should just try harder.'

'Sure, Mayo nearly beat us that one time.'

'Best ever Dublin 'team'. Once in a lifetime players - all 25 or 30 of them over the last decade.'

I see the line that thing wouldn't be as smooth once Gavin left has been dropped. At least that's something.

It never ceases to amaze just how oblivious Dubs are to the feelings of hopelessness throughout the country. It's so obvious to the rest of us that a well resourced, well organised Dublin is not compatible with a competitive intercounty scene. We can have one or we can have the other, but never both.

It would be stupid to suggest doing anything to jeopardise the progress the GAA has made in Dublin, so the resourcing and organisation will continue. But we need something seismic to rescue the intercounty scene. Splits or amalgamations seem the magnitude of action required. It's going to be painful one way or the other.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

From the Bunker

Dublin have had some amazing matches with Mayo and Kerry over the last 5/6 years. Some of the greatest games there's ever been. I've no idea why Meath and Kildare are not as good as Mayo and Kerry.

The reason is that Dublin has smothered the Leinster Champonship for 15 years now.  15 years! The one title Meath won in 2010 they could not even enjoy.

Kildare and Meath teams are constantly chopping and changing squads to try to get the right formula. Consistency is huge when building a team. You can also image many good players not committing. Why would they?

From the Bunker

Just wondering why the Meath team did not lay a wreath at the Bloody Sunday Memorial yesterday?

caprea

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 02:54:47 PM
Just wondering why the Meath team did not lay a wreath at the Bloody Sunday Memorial yesterday?

Dublin played in the game in 1920 and who cares anyway.

shark

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 02:40:15 PM

The reason is that Dublin has smothered the Leinster Champonship for 15 years now.  15 years! The one title Meath won in 2010 they could not even enjoy.

Kildare and Meath teams are constantly chopping and changing squads to try to get the right formula. Consistency is huge when building a team. You can also image many good players not committing. Why would they?

Exactly. Players won't commit. Been happening all across Leinster for years now. Lads chuck it in before they should be peaking.

From the Bunker

Quote from: caprea on November 22, 2020, 02:59:45 PM

Fair enough, but are we not all part of the GAA family? I doubt the Meath players would have wanted to hang around anyway.

High Fielder

Quote from: caprea on November 22, 2020, 02:59:45 PM

They kept theirs and laid it at the gates of Pairc Tailteann this morning. RIP Meath football. As a Laois man, I know the feeling too well. Even when Dublin weren't dominating, we had this once in a lifetime possibility. Some counties fare even worse. The All Ireland Championship is flawed in its construction. I honestly don't see the point of even entering it. Only the Gods could gift Laois and many other counties a one off group of players capable of making of challenge. This thing was broken long before Dublin started dominating

sid waddell

Quote from: shark on November 22, 2020, 03:15:23 PM

Exactly. Players won't commit. Been happening all across Leinster for years now. Lads chuck it in before they should be peaking.
Players will always commit to a set up which they think is serious

Mayo never have problems getting players to commit, there is a fierce hunger to win in the county and that's reflected in the senior set up they have, that's their culture

Ironically it's all those All-Ireland final defeats that have probably done more than anything to foster that culture and turn them into a pure, driven football county, every child in Mayo grows up dreaming of finally winning the All-Ireland for Mayo, they believe its achievable

Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels

I'd say if Jim Gavin or Malachy O'Rourke or Mickey Harte took over Meath, they wouldn't have too many problems getting players to commit

Davy Fitzgerald had no problems getting Wexford hurlers to commit

When Mick O'Dwyer took over Kildare, he energised the whole county

Jim McGuinness totally changed the culture in Donegal

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 04:02:54 PM

Mayo never have problems getting players to commit, there is a fierce hunger to win in the county and that's reflected in the senior set up they have, that's their culture

Ironically it's all those All-Ireland final defeats that have probably done more than anything to foster that culture and turn them into a pure, driven football county, every child in Mayo grows up dreaming of finally winning the All-Ireland for Mayo, they believe its achievable

Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels

I'd say if Jim Gavin or Malachy O'Rourke or Mickey Harte took over Meath, they wouldn't have too many problems getting players to commit

"Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels"

Who would have won the all irelands 2010-19 if the Dubs hadn't been financially doped?

https://youtu.be/ZSm1j4oL8zA
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

High Fielder

Maybe Jim McGuiness needs to be asked to go into Leitrim. Or Laois, Carlow, Antrim, etc etc. There is no jam for these counties. Never was and never will be

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 04:02:54 PM

More patronising shite. Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway just don't try hard enough. If only they wanted it as much as the Dubs! f**k me.

As for the other stuff - Harte often had his struggles to get players to commit to his own county.

Wexford hurlers are irrelevant. There is no monster in hurling.

O'Dwyer was in Kildare when the Dubs were mortal.

McGuinness got in with Donegal just in time. Before the machine was cranked to full power.

This post is exactly the type of subterfuge you usually go to town on in other topics.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Hound

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 22, 2020, 02:27:48 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 22, 2020, 11:21:35 AM
would Dublin beat an all ulster team.
Would this Dublin team easily beat the Tyrone team with Canavan, Stephen O'Neill, Dooher, McGuigan, Mulligan? That team had a great defence too.

I'm not putting down Tyrone because over the last 5-6 years they've been in and around the best team in Ulster, but they would hardly get within 5 or 6 points of that other Tyrone team. 

Leinster is boring. There's nobody putting it up to us.  Cakewalk. Part of it is certainly because this is the best Dublin team ever. But also part of it is because the current Meath and Kildare teams are nowhere near the best ever Meath and Kildare teams. Nowhere near.

But it's not just in recent years that the rest of Leinster has been cack.  We were waltzing through Leinster under Pillar and Gilroy and then getting whipped when we faced our first real challenge by the likes of Tyrone and Kerry.

It's been a freak that Dublin won the 5 in a row. We've certainly haven't been the best team in every game. The double OG game was absolutely freak luck that saved us. Mayo weren't slightly the better team, they were comfortably the better team on the day. They also most probably had us beaten the year Donie Vaughan decided to even up the numbers by doing something rather silly. 
Last year Kerry were the better team in the final. David Moran must still be kicking himself that after being the best player on the pitch he made an horrendous mistake at the end that helped Dublin sneak the draw. An easy ball to Tommy Walsh in acres of space with only Cluxton near him. Instead he dawdled and allowed 2 tacklers to dispossess him. And the rest is history.

I doubt the whiners would be as loud if we'd won 2 or 3 of the last 5. Dublin 3 Mayo 1 Kerry 1 (or even Dublin 2 Mayo 2 Kerry 1!) would be a fairer reflection of the the last 5 years than the 5-0-0 scorecard that resulted.

Full house!!

'Meath and Kildare should just try harder.'

'Sure, Mayo nearly beat us that one time.'

'Best ever Dublin 'team'. Once in a lifetime players - all 25 or 30 of them over the last decade.'

Do you know what quotation marks mean?

Or just making up lies and putting them in there makes your post meaningful!

You clearly don't want much football if you can only remember one close game Dublin played against Mayo.