Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Firstly, how do any of you know what the GUI did/did not do for Rory during his younger years?  Has he talked about it anywhere?

Also, it is a fact that the 'unofficial Ulster flag' is synonomous with Unionism/Loyalism.  So were the other things you mention to differing extents.

screenexile

Quote from: Franko on January 08, 2013, 11:16:32 PM
Firstly, how do any of you know what the GUI did/did not do for Rory during his younger years?  Has he talked about it anywhere?

Also, it is a fact that the 'unofficial Ulster flag' is synonomous with Unionism/Loyalism.  So were the other things you mention to differing extents.

It's also a fact that the Tricolour is synonymous with Republican Paramilitaries. . . can you not see how Unionists would cast the same aspersions as you should McIlroy declare for Ireland?

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't want to offend anybody he shouldn't enter the Olympics. I think this is cowardly however and I would still support him and hope he does well should it be under the Union Jack or the Tricolour!

Franko

Indeed it is.  Where did I mention anything otherwise.  The tricolour is the flag of a country though.

And I totally agree - I care not what colour his polo shirt is in the Olympics!  I find him a totally dislikeable character and I won't be one bit surprised if he plumps for the cowardly, low paying option.

heganboy

Franko,
What is the cowardly, low paying option?

And to be clear, I know what the GUI did for (and with) Rory. I also am aware of the way in which he has gone above and beyond for the GUI in last years worlds, and the Irish Open, and has already declared it is on his 2013 calendar, and by doing so going a long way to making it a viable and likely even a profitable event financially oven his impending new sponsorship deal.  What is it that you think the GUI would get out of him competing in the Olympics?

As for the tricolour, for 68 years it was nothing but a flag of aspiration, which is a lot less than the flag with which you seem to have such a well informed issue...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

GalwayBayBoy

Seems like Rory Mcllroy has finally declared his Olympic intentions during the protests in Belfast yesterday.

stephenite

Franko

Quote from: heganboy on January 09, 2013, 12:58:37 AM
Franko,
What is the cowardly, low paying option?

And to be clear, I know what the GUI did for (and with) Rory. I also am aware of the way in which he has gone above and beyond for the GUI in last years worlds, and the Irish Open, and has already declared it is on his 2013 calendar, and by doing so going a long way to making it a viable and likely even a profitable event financially oven his impending new sponsorship deal.  What is it that you think the GUI would get out of him competing in the Olympics?

As for the tricolour, for 68 years it was nothing but a flag of aspiration, which is a lot less than the flag with which you seem to have such a well informed issue...

To not play at all.

I don't think the GUI would get an awful lot out of Rory playing for Ireland in the Olympics - apart from the obvious benefits that would come from Ireland having a better chance of taking a gold.

As for the bit in bold - this isn't the place to get into an argument about flags.  All I have said is that the flag is synonymous with Unionism/Loyalism (which is an opinion that few would disagree with) and that it isn't the flag of a country (which is a fact).

Why do I get the feeling that anyone who says they don't like McIlroy is automatically labelled sectarian on here??

Applesisapples

I have no problem with McIlroy playing for GB if that is his wish, I have said he has the right to choose. He does however come from a nationalist catholic community which for years suffered discrimination and violence in the name of said Ulster Flag. His own uncle was shot in its name. That is the issue and Heganboy whether you like it or not it is an issue for many people in much the same way the tricolour is for the unionist community. I would prefer to see all flags taken out of sport where identities are divided. The proliferation of Ulster Flags in 1999 was due in large part to the DUP who handed them out free. Ulster Rugby actually plays under the old 9 County Flag which predates partition.

heganboy

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2013, 11:11:04 AM
That is the issue and Heganboy whether you like it or not it is an issue for many people in much the same way the tricolour is for the unionist community. I would prefer to see all flags taken out of sport where identities are divided.

I really don't like it but there's not a lot I can do about it- a bit like Rory McIlroy himself. And his Great uncle Joe? Surely the fact that his uncle was shot is as good a reason as any to stay away from the issue of flags.

All of this attaching completely unreasonable expectations to someone because they excel at a sport is absolute horseshit. This is a 23 year old who grew up in Northern Ireland in a very mixed environment. I'm very proud to say he's from home, though I have no claim over him or influence over him whatsoever. He has such a fine line to tread to avoid his friends and family taking abuse from one side or the other, that its almost a wonder he hasn't shipped the whole lot of them over to join him in Florida to save them dealing with the zealots. He is damned either way- there is no upside for him either amongst family or friends if he elects to play for one team or the other. None whatsoever. He owes neither the BOA or the OCI anything, and quite frankly I think just not playing in the tournament would be a great idea if I was in his shoes. (Which I'm not because I still cant break 80 and I would give good money to be able to be half as good as him) He's a young man who is phenomenally good at the game of golf- who grew up in Holywood and his parents sacrificed a lot to give him opportunities that he has grabbed with both hands.

Also in the same situation is Graeme McDowell, another major winner with a mixed background from a few miles down the road, who has spoken out on the issue and been a little bit more forthright:

QuoteI'm not bothered who I play for. I'll be honoured to represent Britain or Ireland or both. I'm proud to play golf for Europe.

Yes, I sit on the fence but why not? There's no right or wrong answer. I'm always going to upset someone, so why not sit on the fence?

Leave it to the golfers in question, and hope that their careers maintain a trajectory that even make this a viable question. Let them sit on the fence in peace...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Hardy

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2013, 11:11:04 AM
I have no problem with McIlroy playing for GB if that is his wish, I have said he has the right to choose. He does however come from a nationalist catholic community which for years suffered discrimination and violence in the name of said Ulster Flag. His own uncle was shot in its name. That is the issue and Heganboy whether you like it or not it is an issue for many people in much the same way the tricolour is for the unionist community. I would prefer to see all flags taken out of sport where identities are divided. The proliferation of Ulster Flags in 1999 was due in large part to the DUP who handed them out free. Ulster Rugby actually plays under the old 9 County Flag which predates partition.
I think that you do have problem with him playing for GB (if that be his wish)

He was obviously brought up by parents in a difficult and  divided society who ensured that he mixed with both ussuns and themmuns through his schooling etc. That upbringing has evidently manifested itself in a fairly mature and rounded adult ideal for 21st Century NI.

The only flag that "Ulster Rugby" have any association with is the one with their logo printed on it.

DUP handing out free  flags in '99??  You're having a laugh. I got mine in Dublin. ;)

stew

G Mac has a bit of maturity behind him and he obviously doesnt give a damn about politics or what people think, he also realizes that like himself, McIlroy is in a losing situation here, for some on here to say it would be cowardly and low pay option or whatever is ridiculous.

I have a 22 year old daughter, McIlroy is a year older, she, like Rory has a lot to learn yet, time and the maturation process will see McIlroy come into his own and I am sure he will listen to G Mac and Darren Clarke. I really think there will come a time when he sheds his apprehension over such infantile issues as what flag he plays for as he plays to make a living for himself and his family.

The bottom line is this, Rory is a special talent and some can mask it any way they want, some don't like him because they think he is going to play for the brits and others don't like him because he is successful, I mean look at it this way, take away the hundreds of millions in the bank, the flashy motors, the corporate sponsorship, the deadly looking athlete he is banging and the family and friends that have always taken care of him and supported him and what have you got left????

A great kid that is unpretentious and has done nothing to be the subject of bile and ridicule on here or on any other forum.

One last thing, I never met the man, I am certainly not going to dislike him based on what i have seen of him or read about him, what has he ev er said or done to offend anybody?? Feck the begrudgers.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.