Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on January 04, 2013, 09:39:51 PM
Just to clear things up I didn't call you a bigot, I just think your criticism of McIlroy is unfounded.
So he just has limited intelligence then?  :D

trileacman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2013, 10:37:37 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 04, 2013, 09:39:51 PM
Just to clear things up I didn't call you a bigot, I just think your criticism of McIlroy is unfounded.
So he just has limited intelligence then?  :D

Nah, he's just thick.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Armamike

It's up to McIlroy, his choice alone and whatever makes him feel comfortable. No one else has the right to say what he should or shouldn't do in this case.
That's just, like your opinion man.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2013, 08:11:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 03, 2013, 07:42:55 PM
If Luke Donald and one other from Scotland/England/Wales get above him in the world ranking he might not even qualify for Britain.

It is also possible he wouldn't make an Irish team although it is hard to see Harrington and one other (if McDowell declares?) getting above him in the world rankings. But you'd never know.
Pretty sure the top 15 in the world at the time qualify automatically regardless of how many from same country make up that number.

Wiki:
QuoteQualification will be based on world ranking, with a total of 60 players qualifying in each of the men's and women's events. The top 15 players of each gender will qualify, with no limit on the number of golfers from a country that can qualify this way. The remaining 45 spots will go the highest-ranked players from countries that do not already have two golfers qualified.[5]

At the moment there are 6 Americans in the top 15. 10% of the competitors would be American if it were staged now. In others years it would be a lot more than that. That seems to go against the grain of qualification for all other events, for example the 100m would have a lot more American if it were based on rankings.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Are there not fixed size teams? I would have thought it'd be like most other olympic sports and there's a qualifying standard then if you have more than the rquired number qualified it's discretionary who gets in.

imtommygunn

So two outside top 15 and no cap for the number within the top 15. That's completely different from most if not all other olympic sports where numbers per country are capped.

Applesisapples

Quote from: heganboy on January 04, 2013, 08:57:22 PM
no a bigot is someone who doesn't respect someone's right to choose their nationality
Where have I said I don't respect his right to choose? I don't agree with his decision, I think it lets down his own community but it is his right. I do believe that whatever about the Union Jack, the unofficial Ulster Flag is synonymous with Loyalism and Loyalist paramilitaries.
And I also believe that Britain is welcome to him if he does not respect the Country who's Golfing Union gave him all his chances.

Declan

Rory McIlroy's big-money switch to Nike moved a step closer today after Jumeirah Group announced that it is not renewing its sponsorship deal with the world number one.

McIlroy is expected to sign a 10-year deal with Nike which is reported to be worth €250m to the 23-year-old from Northern Ireland.

Jumeirah Group had sponsored the two-time major winner since he was 18, but said in a statement that they had "jointly agreed" to bring the agreement to a close.

McIlroy said: "Jumeirah became my first corporate sponsor when I turned professional back in 2007, and I would like to thank everyone at the company for their support in helping me become the player I am today."

Rory's loyalty is to himself and no one else - good luck to him

Sandy Hill

I've never met McIlroy, know very little about him but for some reason or other I can't stand him!
"Stercus accidit"

Tubberman

Quote from: Sandy Hill on January 08, 2013, 12:16:24 PM
I've never met McIlroy, know very little about him but for some reason or other I can't stand him!

Well I know very little about him other that watching him play golf. But I saw the interview on RTE he did with Greg Allen and I thought he came across very well. Seemed a well-balanced, eager young man, didn't come across as overly cocky or anything.
He had the misfortune to be born in a place obsessed with flags, I'm sure he wishes he was born someplace where there was only one country he could opt for. Then this controversy over the Olympics wouldn't be hanging over him until 2016.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Orior

I hope Nike tell him to get his fecking hair cut. I would recommend he asks for a 2 in the barbers.

Of course I respect his right to have shite hair if he wants, and to look like a clown. But this is my opinion, which I am entitled to have. It wont win him any more tournaments, but it takes the look of Caroline. Of course I do respect Carolines right to hang about with Rory, even with his shite hair. But this is my opinion, which I am entitled to have.

Looking forward to the Masters already! Does anyone know what tournaments Rory is entering between now and April?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 08, 2013, 12:27:49 PM
I hope Nike tell him to get his fecking hair cut. I would recommend he asks for a 2 in the barbers.

Of course I respect his right to have shite hair if he wants, and to look like a clown. But this is my opinion, which I am entitled to have. It wont win him any more tournaments, but it takes the look of Caroline. Of course I do respect Carolines right to hang about with Rory, even with his shite hair. But this is my opinion, which I am entitled to have.

Looking forward to the Masters already! Does anyone know what tournaments Rory is entering between now and April?

I'm sure he's looking forward to you watching him :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heganboy

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 08, 2013, 12:03:47 PM

And I also believe that Britain is welcome to him if he does not respect the Country who's Golfing Union gave him all his chances.

I think you'll find that it was his unbelievable natural ability, work ethic and his parents working 2 and 3 jobs each that "gave him all his chances". The GUI was more than happy to have someone that good represent them, and Tourism Ireland is more than happy to reap the rewards of his success but while that may have some sway on his decision, it remains his choice.

And tell me about "his community" that he's letting down- I'm really interested to hear who you believe that might be? as interesting as the other "i believe"s that you posted...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 08, 2013, 12:03:47 PM
Quote from: heganboy on January 04, 2013, 08:57:22 PM
no a bigot is someone who doesn't respect someone's right to choose their nationality
, the unofficial Ulster Flag is synonymous with Loyalism and Loyalist paramilitaries.

...and the Commonwealth Games...and Ulster's European Cup triumph in 1999 , not to mention their odyssey in the last couple of years....and NI's sojourn to the World Cup in Spain in 1982...to mention a few .

The GUI's input into his meteoric rise is allowing him (subject to a  fee of course) to nuture his considerable talents on various golf courses in NI and their input pales into insignificance compared to the effort put in and sacrifices made by the young man himself and his parents. He owes them nothing.