Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Sorry ML,what's crate trained?

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 18, 2014, 05:04:45 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 18, 2014, 11:36:37 AM
Is it wrong to think a dog can manage on his own during the day in a big back garden?

Looked over on boards and theres a lot of people who think dogs are people and should be treated as such. I'm a farmer, a dog is an animal, treat it well and keep it healthy but at the end of the day its a pet not the other way around
100%. My boss is horrified that my dog sleeps outside in a kennel  ::)
Would have to agree with you. We don't have any pets but I wouldn't let one in the house if we did anyway. Might let a dog as far as inside the back door but I wouldn't let a cat roam around the house.

My wife is a Veterinarian and sometimes she would bring home an abandoned kitten that someone had left into her practice to look after it for a night or two. Had to put my foot down though as I knew eventually she would want to keep one of the little fcukers.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Zulu

No point in having a pet if you don't leave it in the house!

Puckoon

Quote from: Zulu on June 09, 2015, 11:07:34 PM
Sorry ML,what's crate trained?

Basically a dog that is used to, and comfortable in it's crate, or cage. It spends time there when the family is home, when the family is away, and at night. Our fella loves his crate, happy to go into it when we are leaving.

You essentially have to be very stubborn when they are younger, and ignore the cries and whines when they don't want to be there. You can also never use the crate as a punishment or time out - then it will have a negative aspect to it.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html

5 Sams

Dunno about this crate stuff lads. I have 2 labs they are in a big garden all day. They get out for a good run in the evening and they are in the house lying on the sofa at night. Why cage them?
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 09, 2015, 11:55:41 PM
Dunno about this crate stuff lads. I have 2 labs they are in a big garden all day. They get out for a good run in the evening and they are in the house lying on the sofa at night. Why cage them?
Is your garden totally enclosed? Mine isn't and it would take a lot to do it and the dog is mad to get away. Considering an electric collar or putting her in the pound!

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on June 09, 2015, 11:08:38 PM
Is it wrong to think a dog can manage on his own during the day in a big back garden?

Looked over on boards and theres a lot of people who think dogs are people and should be treated as such. I'm a farmer, a dog is an animal, treat it well and keep it healthy but at the end of the day its a pet not the other way around
Would have to agree with you. We don't have any pets but I wouldn't let one in the house if we did anyway. Might let a dog as far as inside the back door but I wouldn't let a cat roam around the house.

My wife is a Veterinarian and sometimes she would bring home an abandoned kitten that someone had left into her practice to look after it for a night or two. Had to put my foot down though as I knew eventually she would want to keep one of the little fcukers.

Really?! You re married to somebody that must love animals if she s a vet. Yet she is not allowed keep one at home because you don t like 'the little f**kers'! She either shouldn t be a vet or should have married somebody else! ;D ;D. Seriously though you re coming across as a bit of a bully there. 'putting the foot down' is not something I like to hear.

5 Sams

Garden is totally enclosed lads. Plenty of room to run about. Out in the evening for a good run or a swim. To be frank they are two spoilt bastards.
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2015, 12:18:49 AM
Garden is totally enclosed lads. Plenty of room to run about. Out in the evening for a good run or a swim. To be frank they are two spoilt b**tards.

Plus they are in Kerry 3 or 4 times a year with me...in the sea once or twice a day. So they are knackered by 4pm and I can go and drink pints in Dingle.  ;D
The Aristocrat Years

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on June 09, 2015, 11:10:30 PM
No point in having a pet if you don't leave it in the house!

100%.

If it is not going to be in the house don t get one. There are practical reasons for this as well which I won t go into now.

I used to breed dogs. A popular breed that parents would get for a family pet. I used to try and suss out the intentions of people ringing up and inquiring. If they were talking about a kennel in the garden or a shed out the back, I would lose them. I would say....

'I ve already got deposits on the rest of the litter but if anybody changes their mind I ll get back to you'.

If you breed dogs. there is a duty of care to make sure they don t end up outside chained to a kennel or in a run or a shed. If a dog is not going to be house trained and stay indoors, don t get a dog.

Farm dogs are different. Sheepdogs are trained for purpose and are not pets as such. They have a different function and it appears that it is not possible to have a sheepdog hang around with kids and train him to be a top class working dog as well. Kennel for him.

It s simple thing. If it can t come inside your house don t have it. Let a better home have the creature.

macdanger2

Not a chance, dogs and cats smell like dogs and cats. If they're inside, then the house smell like dogs and cats, not to mention hair, etc.

Outside in a good shed with a bitta straw and they're plenty happy.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 10, 2015, 12:48:49 AM
Not a chance, dogs and cats smell like dogs and cats. If they're inside, then the house smell like dogs and cats, not to mention hair, etc.

Outside in a good shed with a bitta straw and they're plenty happy.

Nah. If you don t like the smell of a cat or dog and you don t like the hair don t have one. If people like a house that's bleached and polished to the 9s fair play to them. They may find they re kids have more problems with asthma and allergies. But that s besides the point. If you have something living ye won t have in the house, why have it?

At the minute I ve 2 dogs in the house plus a dozen newly hatched chicks in a large plastic box 6 feet away. Cant smell a thing. Yet yesterday I was in a house that had no animals in it and I nearly staggered backwards. Smell of sour milk or worse and general sloppiness about the place.

A wet Labrador will smell like a wet Labrador but a healthy dog dries off and doesn t smell. A cat that is house trained does t smell. People that do think they hum should stay away from them. People like that are doing an animal no favour keeping them. Animals in a shed may appear happy but that s part of the problem. They wag the tail and leap up. That s because they are a social animal and delighted to see you. Put a camera on them for the rest of the time and see what they do.

macdanger2

Why have one? Because they're enjoyable but it doesn't mean you have them living in the house. Any dog we ever had lived outside and was put in at night. When there was thunder / lightening we'd bring her inside as she was scared. Once it was done, she'd tear off back outside, didn't like being inside. Like any person or animal, whatever you're familiar with is what you like.

If you're out the farm handling any animal - sheep, cattle, horse - you wash your hands when you come in, same with dogs - why? Because they're animals and not the cleanest. Doesn't mean you bleach everything down but doesn't mean you have dinner in the slatted house either

Ball Hopper

Who loves you more, the dog or herself?

A simple test...lock both in the boot of the car for an hour.  Upon opening the boot when the hour is up, which one will be the most happy to see you?

laoislad

Quote from: moysider on June 10, 2015, 12:17:09 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 09, 2015, 11:08:38 PM

Really?! You re married to somebody that must love animals if she s a vet. Yet she is not allowed keep one at home because you don t like 'the little f**kers'! She either shouldn t be a vet or should have married somebody else! ;D ;D. Seriously though you re coming across as a bit of a bully there. 'putting the foot down' is not something I like to hear.
Well she was more or less qualified as a Vet when I met her,I could hardly ask her to give it up for me!

Btw I never said I don't like animals. I said I don't like cats. They are evil horrible little creatures and there was no way we were having one as a pet,and I just knew eventually she would want to keep one. If you think that makes me a bully then so be it.
I'm anything but a bully FYI,but maybe my choice of words were wrong in the post.

If she wants to bring home a puppy to look after and keep she can.It would stay outside though.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.