Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 16, 2014, 12:05:22 PM
Thinking of getting a dog and looking for some advice

So currently in Dublin but thats probably a 2-3 year thing. House in Dublin has a large back garden, dog would be left there during the work. Would come for a run/walk with me in the evening. Looking for a dog that can run with me, preferrably off a leash at some stage but if not no panic.
Apparently a Dalmatian is a good dog for this, wont go mental during the day but can run as much as I'd like. Collies were the other option I looked at but apparently can bark a lot when they get bored.

Any comments/suggestions?

Sister had a dalmation and it was as mad as fcuk. Hyper! I would go with Tony and suggest a Lab. Great temperament, loves going for a run/walk. However if left on its own all day it WILL get bored and will dig holes in the garden, eat through fences, chew doors. We have two of them and on the rare occasion they are on their own all day there is no problem as they are good company for each other and there normally isn't too much damage. The only thing I would suggest is that if you are going to leave it on its own all day get it out for a good run or walk or even better a swim  in the morning and it should sleep most of the day.
The Aristocrat Years

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 16, 2014, 01:35:20 PM

So currently in Dublin but thats probably a 2-3 year thing. House in Dublin has a large back garden, dog would be left there during the work. Would come for a run/walk with me in the evening. Looking for a dog that can run with me, preferrably off a leash at some stage but if not no panic.
Apparently a Dalmatian is a good dog for this, wont go mental during the day but can run as much as I'd like. Collies were the other option I looked at but apparently can bark a lot when they get bored.

Sister had a dalmation and it was as mad as fcuk. Hyper! I would go with Tony and suggest a Lab. Great temperament, loves going for a run/walk. However if left on its own all day it WILL get bored and will dig holes in the garden, eat through fences, chew doors. We have two of them and on the rare occasion they are on their own all day there is no problem as they are good company for each other and there normally isn't too much damage. The only thing I would suggest is that if you are going to leave it on its own all day get it out for a good run or walk or even better a swim  in the morning and it should sleep most of the day.

Definitely true about the Lab,  I have a big brown bear of a choco lab and she is brilliant but she needs a lot of exercise as she is the size of a small bullock!!!  Very friendly though and will love you to death!

moysider

Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2014, 11:31:33 AM
The wife's dog arrived last week. He belonged to her parents previously. They have several dogs. He's not used to being on his own as her folks are retired and the other dogs are there.

Kept him in the kitchen the first few nights. Constant whining and banging the door for hours and bits the door frame. He stops and sleeps but if someone gets up during the night it starts again.

Put him in the shed last night and same again only the neighbours got to hear him too.

We don't want him in the bedroom as he snores and farts.

Any advice. I'm guessing just put up with it till he stops. It's like having a child I imagine.

Get a dog cage and put it in utility room. You don't want him roaming about a big room or he ll never settle. cover the cage with blanket so its like a den. Put in a basket and a large cuddly toy for company. Maybe a hot water bottle when it gets cooler. He ll soon take ownership of this space and should be happy to retire there at night after a while.

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 16, 2014, 01:43:34 PM
Definitely true about the Lab,  I have a big brown bear of a choco lab and she is brilliant but she needs a lot of exercise as she is the size of a small bullock!!!  Very friendly though and will love you to death!

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2014, 11:54:49 AM
Christ. Anyone else got a suggestion?

I have a suggestion on behalf of your neighbours. DON'T put him in the shed.

Mayo4Sam

Is it wrong to think a dog can manage on his own during the day in a big back garden?

Looked over on boards and theres a lot of people who think dogs are people and should be treated as such. I'm a farmer, a dog is an animal, treat it well and keep it healthy but at the end of the day its a pet not the other way around
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Main Street

Quote from: moysider on September 16, 2014, 02:28:41 PM
Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2014, 11:31:33 AM
The wife's dog arrived last week. He belonged to her parents previously. They have several dogs. He's not used to being on his own as her folks are retired and the other dogs are there.

Kept him in the kitchen the first few nights. Constant whining and banging the door for hours and bits the door frame. He stops and sleeps but if someone gets up during the night it starts again.

Put him in the shed last night and same again only the neighbours got to hear him too.

We don't want him in the bedroom as he snores and farts.

Any advice. I'm guessing just put up with it till he stops. It's like having a child I imagine.

Get a dog cage and put it in utility room. You don't want him roaming about a big room or he ll never settle. cover the cage with blanket so its like a den. Put in a basket and a large cuddly toy for company. Maybe a hot water bottle when it gets cooler. He ll soon take ownership of this space and should be happy to retire there at night after a while.
The cage is way to go, get a good sized one. The cage can be in a corner, covered except for the front part. You can also have the cage in an area where the dog can see whats what in the house. They just relax and are comfortable there without a compulsion to get involved in whats happening or get out of sorts.
You might have to introduce the dog to the cage in stages and reward him with treats  as he makes progress. The cage is not a place of punishment or a place where the dog should be whining in, so check out methods to introduce the dog to the cage especially a dog  like what you describe.
I've never had a dog that needed a toy for company or had anything in the cage other than a mat.
Exercise is a way to a dog's heart and exercise the arse of him, get on your bike and run the legs off him, dogs love a quiet life after a  6 or 8km gallop.
I don't feed the dog in the cage.

The Iceman

Boxer is a great dog for running - they were bred to run.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

johnneycool

Quote from: The Iceman on September 18, 2014, 04:32:05 PM

Boxer is a great dog for running - they were bred to run.

Does the back end go on them, not sure what that means, but the brother in law had a few and I noticed one missing one day and he told me that's what happened it!!!

The Iceman

a lot of the breeds have been watered down. Most pedigree dogs now would have bad hips and elbows or eye problems.
You have to be very selective and pay big money to get a good pedigree dog with less chance of these ailments or go for a good mutt who will be hardier than any of them.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 18, 2014, 11:36:37 AM
Is it wrong to think a dog can manage on his own during the day in a big back garden?

Looked over on boards and theres a lot of people who think dogs are people and should be treated as such. I'm a farmer, a dog is an animal, treat it well and keep it healthy but at the end of the day its a pet not the other way around
100%. My boss is horrified that my dog sleeps outside in a kennel  ::)

Last Man

The Dog Whisperer Cesar Milan is essential viewing for dog owners, most problems seem to arise when owners don't meet their need to be a dog.

5 Sams

Just tuned into a programme on UTV called Me and my Guide Dog looking forward to lovely stories about how mutts help humans and I saw footage of a poor mutt gettin put down. Fcuk sake lads...that's traumatic stuff for any dog owner...a wee bit of warning wouldn't have gone astray.
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

I'll be doing in my own as it's mad after sheep in the next field. Killed a young rabbit this evening and the wee lad was in bits. Yet another grave dug  :-\

Zulu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 18, 2014, 05:04:45 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 18, 2014, 11:36:37 AM

100%. My boss is horrified that my dog sleeps outside in a kennel  ::)

Wouldn't view dogs as animals at all. When you see what dogs do and the effect they can have on families, kids, disabled people etc. there is no way I'd view it simply as an animal. A dog can and is an essential part of a family or it's owners life. I'd never leave a dog sleep outside the house though I do understand why others would. But for me, my house would be my dog's house just as much as it is mine.