Kilkenny Footballers : An Underdog TV Show?

Started by GAA_Punter, April 17, 2012, 11:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Punter

What would people think of the idea below?

Sifting through recent results of the Kilkenny football team, at senior, minor and under 21 grades I could not help but grimace. The Cats finished bottom of NFL Division 4 with an embarrassing score difference of -241 this season. Their under 21′s sprung to national prominence for all the wrong reasons in late February when their panel of only 15 players were tortured by Louth by a scoreline of 6-35 to 0-02. Last Friday evening their minor footballers were beaten by 50+ points by Offaly. Is this slide irreversible? Or could some smart thinking and extra resources change the way football is treated within the county.

Is it unthinkable that placing the county footballers in the national spotlight could begin a big ball revolution? As a GAA fanatic I have watched the success of Reality GAA TV Shows, namely Celebrity Bainisteoir and the Underdogs. It is fascinating how added resources, improved structure and the introduction of a camera can galvanise a team, while also mobilizing the surrounding community. If such a structure was put in place in Kilkenny I am fully sure that enthusiasm surrounding the county footballers would increase no end. There is footballing talent within the county, it is just a matter of unearthing it and giving players a structured platform to prove themselves.

My plan for the program would play out as follows......

1. A well known management team put in place. Mick O'Dwyer would be ideal , flanked by young blood such as Dara O'Cinneide, Ciaran Whelan etc. This management team will take Kilkenny footballers through a season of league and championship.

2. A documentary style program which will follow the team for a year.

3. A huge recruitment drive throughout the county luring all potential talent to trials.

4. A process where approximately 30 eager a..................................
Rest on http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/101015/

BennyHarp

Ah television - the solution to all lifes problems! Is there anything it can't do?
That was never a square ball!!

Louth Exile

Or... you could just bring in Sean Boylan and pray for a miracle  ;)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

hayeser

Excellent idea. You can knock anything an people will but the fact is TV exposure would be fantastic for this. I have driven to Dungarvan from Cork City a number of times to give a bit of support to the Waterford Footballers after reading Damian Lawlor's superb book Working on a Dream. People would empathise with the Kilkenny players that took those hammerings but kept coming back for the cause.

I'd be pretty sure such a drive would lead to the Cats grinding out a win or 2 or at least a couple of near misses over the course of a season. It would make a good TV, I'd watch it and I could see it capturing the imagination. It is something people would talk about. As a GAA man it would make a nice change from hearing about Rooney, Gerrard and co  in the canteen every day!

Of course the GAA would never do something as radical as this.

Bingo

The camera crew would be beaten out of kilkenny with big wooden sticks, also known as hurls.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Bingo on April 17, 2012, 03:30:05 PM
The camera crew would be beaten out of kilkenny with big wooden sticks, also known as hurls.

Nah, they'll pick them for the football team instead...a worse punishment in KK!

theticklemister

Then for next year we could go into every county which are shite at hurling and do an underdogs program in hurling.

Me thinks Cavan.................... (Do football too sure when their there!!)

Overall a great idea GAA punter.

brokencrossbar1

What about a reality show set in Nowlan Park called "I'm a Kilkenny Footballer...get me out of here!"