Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty4Sam

Here's another scenario, hypothetically, lets say Mark Bradley or another Killyclogher/Coalisland county player got injured in last years county final and missed the replay due to injury. He would be availlable to play in this years reserve championship.  :o
Not really sure what the thinking was into this, didn't think there was a problem with eligable players in the reserve championship but there you go!!

Ty4Sam

Quote from: ThreeStones on June 06, 2017, 12:16:21 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on June 06, 2017, 10:47:22 AM
Quote from: tothetop03 on June 06, 2017, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on June 06, 2017, 10:21:10 AM
I see thee CCC have released the reserve championship fixtures.  At least its not November this year, what way does player exclusion work for that saying its played before the senior championship?

Heard at the weekend there that anyone who did not play in your senior team or came on as on sub in you last championship game last year is eligible to play...

So by that logic any of the senior teams that had a decent championship run last year will be weakened because they would have used more of a panel of players.  I like that the CCC are finding a place for the reserve championship as long as it continues to be before the senior championship clubs will accept the rulings on eligibility.  It doesn't bode well for the fella that maybe looking to wind down maybe played senior championship but cant really commit this year and wanted a run out with the reserves that they miss a championship season. You could lose men like that from football all together

Surely it doesn't matter how far your senior team got last year... the rule applies to your last championship game and not the whole campaign

Yes, that's correct.

Tyrone Gaa

Lots of unanswered questions!!  I'm sure the CCC will issue some kind of eligibility criteria or it will be discussed at tonight's County Committee.  The positive is that when all the eligibility arguments are resolved the CCC have found a good position in the fixture calendar for the Reserve Championship with the Senior Championship not happening until the County team exit.

It would apply to the full campaign id imagine.  If you were not eligible to play in reserve championship last year, you cant play in it this year??

County players cannot play reserve championship regardless
Living the dream!!!

LeoMc

I would have thought that the previous criteria, i.e. those players in the 12 named as Senior only and those who play County Senior, minor (?) & u-21 would also be ineligible and that the new rule was in addition to allow for the earlier Reserve championship and partially mirror the previous eligibility rule around playing Senior championship in the same year.

Tyrone Gaa

Are clubs still asked to name 12 players? I know it used to happen but I haven't heard much discussion around that.
Living the dream!!!

toby47

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on June 06, 2017, 12:48:53 PM
Are clubs still asked to name 12 players? I know it used to happen but I haven't heard much discussion around that.

Were these 12 players not allowed to play Reserve Championship, or any reserve games including league?

Under Lights

Where are the fixtures? when are they being played?

TabClear

Quote from: Man Marker on June 06, 2017, 10:56:34 AM
I see thee CCC have released the reserve championship fixtures.  At least its not November this year, what way does player exclusion work for that saying its played before the senior championship?

Heard at the weekend there that anyone who did not play in your senior team or came on as on sub in you last championship game last year is eligible to play...

So by that logic any of the senior teams that had a decent championship run last year will be weakened because they would have used more of a panel of players.  I like that the CCC are finding a place for the reserve championship as long as it continues to be before the senior championship clubs will accept the rulings on eligibility.  It doesn't bode well for the fella that maybe looking to wind down maybe played senior championship but cant really commit this year and wanted a run out with the reserves that they miss a championship season. You could lose men like that from football all together

We can safely say that there won't be many players that applies to, a very small pocket of individuals. life goes on

You say its a small number of players. I would argue this affects a significant proportion of player and rules them out of a Championship season at some point, assuming that they dont make a clean break and retire after Seniors. From my experience the vast majority of players have about 10-15 years as a "Senior" player for their club. When they hit early to mid thirties most step down to the reserves, at least for a season or two before finally retiring completely. Yes it might be a relatively small number of players each year, but is it really fair to deprive a man who has spent 15 years playing at Seniors the chance to play championship football because he is "too old".

Really think they need to reconsider this. Simplest way might be to include a age limit i.e. does nt apply if over 32 etc. There will still be players who fall through the gap i.e. returning from injury eyc and no doubt there would be a row about the appropriate age limit but it might address the single biggest group who would be unfairly affected.

TabClear

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on June 06, 2017, 12:48:53 PM

Think that was always a bit of a farce. You would do well to find one of the 12 in the country who was under 40 for most clubs

WT4E

I think this is a positive step from the county board.

As you can see on here there will always be people happy to complain no matter what the ruling.

However they have to draw a line in the sand somehwere so that the reserve championship can be played at a sensible time of year. Nothing worse for players who are either trying to develop or trying to just play recreationally than having to train from Jan/Feb to wait to Oct/Nov to get playing a championship match.

12 named players doesn't count in Reserve Championship
County players are not allowed to play in Reserve Championship (although this rule was flaunted in a game involving my club one year when Donaghmore played a county player and then said he had left the panel but he hadn't)

TabClear

Quote from: WT4E on June 06, 2017, 01:57:42 PM
I think this is a positive step from the county board.

As you can see on here there will always be people happy to complain no matter what the ruling.

However they have to draw a line in the sand somehwere so that the reserve championship can be played at a sensible time of year. Nothing worse for players who are either trying to develop or trying to just play recreationally than having to train from Jan/Feb to wait to Oct/Nov to get playing a championship match.

12 named players doesn't count in Reserve Championship
County players are not allowed to play in Reserve Championship (although this rule was flaunted in a game involving my club one year when Donaghmore played a county player and then said he had left the panel but he hadn't)

Absolutely agree that it is a positive that the Reserve Championship gets played at a sensible time of year and of course there will have to be eligibility criteria. I just think that there is scope to improve it to address the obvious issue with basing eligibility for one years competition on a previous year.

tothetop03

Quote from: TabClear on June 06, 2017, 01:22:41 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on June 06, 2017, 10:56:34 AM

We can safely say that there won't be many players that applies to, a very small pocket of individuals. life goes on

You say its a small number of players. I would argue this affects a significant proportion of player and rules them out of a Championship season at some point, assuming that they dont make a clean break and retire after Seniors. From my experience the vast majority of players have about 10-15 years as a "Senior" player for their club. When they hit early to mid thirties most step down to the reserves, at least for a season or two before finally retiring completely. Yes it might be a relatively small number of players each year, but is it really fair to deprive a man who has spent 15 years playing at Seniors the chance to play championship football because he is "too old".

Really think they need to reconsider this. Simplest way might be to include a age limit i.e. does nt apply if over 32 etc. There will still be players who fall through the gap i.e. returning from injury eyc and no doubt there would be a row about the appropriate age limit but it might address the single biggest group who would be unfairly affected.

i think if a players for talk sake played first round and his team won and he did not the next day and his team was beaten he can play in this years reserve championship....

tothetop03

Connor Clarke played reserve championship last year and he was on County Panel at the time what is the rule on county seniors playing reserve championship?

Tyrone Gaa

Did Pomeroy not get kicked out of the reserve championship last year for featuring an ineligible player?  Not sure of the circumstances
Living the dream!!!

redhandofgod

Pomeroy played an U17 who was also a county minor and they were put out because Aghyaran reported them because he was u17.