All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2012, 02:19:10 PM
They're out to get us on all sides FFS  >:(
At least the Laythrums didn't get Cortober or the main part of Rooskey or we'd be effed altogether.

Don't all those west of the Shannon in Athlone play with Clann na Gael ?

highorlow

QuoteThere can be no doubt that Donegal have had the harder route to the final

Explain?

Maybe the teams were historically supposed to be tougher but Mayo would have beaten all those teams also.

The facts are that the judgement on how good or not Donegal are will only become reality by 5pm on the 23rd Sept. Up til now, the media has them hyped out of proportion. This isn't unusual for the media as once one gombeen starts they all follow.

After the AIQF it was Kerry that were bad and hence Donegal won, then after the semi final when they beat Cork they are some super human outfit that has change the modern game....... wtf happened with peoples opinions in the space of 3 weeks.

In relation to our lads we are well used to the aul put downs anyhow and shur we are really in an AIF because we bate nothing too date!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Captain Obvious

Quote from: highorlow on September 04, 2012, 06:14:30 PM
QuoteThere can be no doubt that Donegal have had the harder route to the final

Explain?

Maybe the teams were historically supposed to be tougher but Mayo would have beaten all those teams also.

The facts are that the judgement on how good or not Donegal are will only become reality by 5pm on the 23rd Sept. Up til now, the media has them hyped out of proportion. This isn't unusual for the media as once one gombeen starts they all follow.

After the AIQF it was Kerry that were bad and hence Donegal won, then after the semi final when they beat Cork they are some super human outfit that has change the modern game....... wtf happened with peoples opinions in the space of 3 weeks.

In relation to our lads we are well used to the aul put downs anyhow and shur we are really in an AIF because we bate nothing too date!

Donegal played six games had three big tests in Tyrone,Kerry,Cork while Mayo played four games and only one big test v Dublin.

Sam2011

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 04, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: Sam2011 on September 04, 2012, 05:19:07 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 04, 2012, 09:34:02 AM
Quote from: Sam2011 on September 04, 2012, 08:04:38 AM
September 23 1951- Mayo won Sam
September 23 2012-???

Is it a sign?

Yes. It's a sign that the 4th Sundays in September in both 1951 and 2012 fell on the 23rd.

Oh right thanks for clearing that up for me Fear, my head was wrecked at work today trying to figure that one out. :)
It was also a Stradbally clubman who reffed the final in 1951.
Is it a sign??

Tis a given

Aye it is, I think we should be the ones fighting over where to have the homecoming, all the signs are there. Think Knock nice would be a nice place. We could fly the lads into the airport with Sam ( no need for our lads to be crammed up in a bus for 3-4 hours ) and then on their arrival to Knock have mass in the basilica for them ( sounds boring I know but I'm sure the fella above has been playing his part in our season so far, so we can't forget to thank him ). There is also plenty of free ground around the place to put up a marquee for the partying after mass. Or also Westport would be nice for photos by the seaside and might boost the tourism when they hear about Horan's hero's having there homecoming in Westport. There's plenty of other options aswell around Mayo, 'tis a big county.

ONeill

Are Mayo the worst side to reach an All Ireland since Mayo?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 04, 2012, 09:34:02 AM
Quote from: Sam2011 on September 04, 2012, 08:04:38 AM
September 23 1951- Mayo won Sam
September 23 2012-???

Is it a sign?

Yes. It's a sign that the 4th Sundays in September in both 1951 and 2012 fell on the 23rd.

Indeed. What are the odds? 7/!? Or is it less with leap years? :P

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

From the Bunker

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 04, 2012, 07:01:41 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 04, 2012, 06:55:34 PM

Without a doubt

Mayo are always the worst side to reach a AI final since Mayo!

Sam2011

+1
The most sensable thing that has been posted on this thread yet.
Sure I don't even know how we get into to these finals we're so bad? Always seem to get the luck of the draw. I wonder would the draw be riggged O'Neil?

Syferus

Quote from: blast05 on September 04, 2012, 06:04:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2012, 02:19:10 PM
They're out to get us on all sides FFS  >:(
At least the Laythrums didn't get Cortober or the main part of Rooskey or we'd be effed altogether.

Don't all those west of the Shannon in Athlone play with Clann na Gael ?

Depends. St. Brigid's eats into some outlying areas of Athlone, Paraig Pearses are in the Monksland area. Clann is actually only two half parishes wedged between those two clubs.

From the Bunker

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 04, 2012, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 04, 2012, 07:01:41 PM

Without a doubt

Mayo are always the worst side to reach a AI final since Mayo!

Of course Cork 2007 getting a hiding was a blip and Down since their defeat in 2010 have gone on to be one of the top sides in the country.

Actually, sure if we beat the best team in the country we'll be the worst team to win Sam!  :P

ONeill

Get that winning Sam out of your head now. Go down the night before and just enjoy the occasion. Plenty of music, pints and craic. Best to have a decent hangover the next day to dull the pain of another hammering. The minor game should be a good'un though.

On a serious note, the only way Mayo can win this is through a remarkably hefty series of poor decisions by the ref. Donegal have shown no weaknesses at any time this year. They're getting stronger and swatted aside all heavyweight pretenders. This game is like the last stage of the TdF. McGuinness are here for the platitudes and a nice freewheel up the Hogan steps. But Mayo should be proud of where they got to from being 0-12 to 1-7 down in London with a lock a minutes left 16 months ago.

Donegal 1-16 (McFadden 1-5, Murphy, McHugh, McGlynn, Gallagher, McBrearty, Kavanagh, Lacey, Walsh, Thompson, McElhinney, McGee 0-1 each)
Mayo 0-9 (O'Connor 0-8 (7f), Dillon 0-1)

HT 0-14 to 0-3

82'000
Sunny
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on September 04, 2012, 09:07:10 PM
Get that winning Sam out of your head now. Go down the night before and just enjoy the occasion. Plenty of music, pints and craic. Best to have a decent hangover the next day to dull the pain of another hammering. The minor game should be a good'un though.

On a serious note, the only way Mayo can win this is through a remarkably hefty series of poor decisions by the ref. Donegal have shown no weaknesses at any time this year. They're getting stronger and swatted aside all heavyweight pretenders. This game is like the last stage of the TdF. McGuinness are here for the platitudes and a nice freewheel up the Hogan steps. But Mayo should be proud of where they got to from being 0-12 to 1-7 down in London with a lock a minutes left 16 months ago.

Donegal 1-16 (McFadden 1-5, Murphy, McHugh, McGlynn, Gallagher, McBrearty, Kavanagh, Lacey, Walsh, Thompson, McElhinney, McGee 0-1 each)
Mayo 0-9 (O'Connor 0-8 (7f), Dillon 0-1)

HT 0-14 to 0-3

82'000
Sunny

Have to disagree with you there. Donegal have conceeded late goals to Cork and Kerry which made their wins less comfortable. They also nearly conceeded a late goal to Tyrone only for a late Durcan save. Which would have ment they would have lost to an very very average Tyrone side.  :P

J70

I wouldn't read too much into the Cork goal. They got caught showboating, which won't happen again. Probably a free out anyway! :P

Biggest worry from Cork game would be the ridiculous misses.