Mayo V Kerry- 8/4/12

Started by Sam2011, April 05, 2012, 02:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 17, 2012, 11:21:35 AM
What's the story with this Boyle fella? What age is he? Was he a stand out minor? Why has he only rejoined the panel recently? Looks like a gem of a player.

Was always considered a good player underage but a bit of a worry he'd be a bit small for senior (that was my view anyway). He was wing-back on the All-Ireland winning U21 team in 2006.
Started championship back in 2008 but was played out of position in corner back and got a roasting against Galway and was taken off.
Was still on the panel in 2009, played a few games in the league but not in Championship. Didn't feature the last two years.
He's done brilliantly this year though when played in his best position in the half backs. He's a perfect fit for the type of game Mayo now play - huge workrate, won't pull out of anything and a bit of needed aggression.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Chimley

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 17, 2012, 11:21:35 AM
What's the story with this Boyle fella? What age is he? Was he a stand out minor? Why has he only rejoined the panel recently? Looks like a gem of a player.

Think he was a minor in 2004. We were beaten by Galway (missing Barry Moran who went on to play in that years U21 final against Armagh). He won an U21 medal in 2006 and was brought in by John O'Mahony but played out of position a lot of the time (corner back). He was dropped for 2009 but came back on the radar with great performances for the Mayo junior team last year and with Davitts getting to an AI intermediate final earlier this year.

omagh_gael

Cheers lads, looks like he'll do well for ye this year.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Just about to watch it on youtube now.

This is the link I just found for anyone else not seen it yet or where at the game. This is a longer set of highlights of the first half

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOQDo9AKC0Q&feature=relmfu

A better quality but shorter version of the entire match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lEX0sSUdD0&feature=related
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

It is always nice to leave Croke Park with a victory, regardless of where you are from and who the opposition is. I hadn't time to give a brief synopsis of what happened on Sunday yesterday. What I will say is that we have now beaten the last 3 All-Ireland champions in 12 months. That's the good bit. However there is 0 national trophies in our cabinet yet.

Thought the backs were very good. Keegan, Caff, Keane mighty, Vaughan and Higgins have had better games for Mayo but all players have offish days. Boyle was outstanding. Still don't know how he squeezed the ball in the net.

Midfield was a worry. Harte did well when he came on though and coming from me that says something!

Forwards at times gave the ball away needlessly but worked hard getting it back. I honestly don't know how that will go down when this year is reviewed. We may well lose the next day. And don't tell me you'd back Mayo if the chips were down in August if we are still there. But I'll tell ou one thing, any team that meets us and or beats us will know it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 17, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
And don't tell me you'd back Mayo if the chips were down in August if we are still there. But I'll tell ou one thing, any team that meets us and or beats us will know it.

That could be said about a lot of teams, Dublin prior to last year sure!! Time to cut loose of whats gone on before and take each game as it comes. If we match teams for intensity and work rate we'll be right there come August bank holiday and beyond.

mannix

sunday was a strange day for mayo, i had a feeling last week  that they would have gain a lot of confidence if they were able to compete with kerry for the full 70 minutes or close to it. even if they win the league final i think that the kerry games will have been of more benefit to them than beating cork in the final will ever be. Kerry are not bothered about it today, they have learned a lesson too, they need more goals to bury the likes of mayo or else risk geting caught.

moysider

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 17, 2012, 12:05:25 PM

He had enough quality to be minor captain in 04 I think it was.

I remember him as well as being deadly as a forward in colleges. No surprise he nailed that goal.

Looking forward to the final now. It s going to be tough though unless we have a couple of the bigger man back around midfield.

Probably get ate for this but I d put Andy back in at 14 for this one anyway. I don t think there is any alternative tbh. I know he has been doing well in half forward line but we might be better able to rejig the half line. At this moment in time only Conoreen and Conroy are on their game inside. I d go with a half line of Harte (if fit), McLoughlin and Dillon.

maigheo

I for one would agree with you Moysider about placing Andy Moran in full forward v cork.To many times in the second half  on sunday kerry easily won possession in there fullback line and moved swiftly up the field.In fairness to Barry Moran alot of the ball played in was very poor and there wasnt alot he could do.Great credit is due to Colm Boyle for the way he has built himself up and improved himself after a few hammer blows earlier in his career.He was taken off early in the first half in the 2006 all ireland u-21 final as he was being completly overpowered and 2years later called ashore in the first half in the connacht semi v galway but all this has not deterred him and he now seems the real deal.I suppose that is another great fault of ours in Mayo in that we write off players to quickly after a bad performance but that is a story for another day.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on April 17, 2012, 11:12:34 PM

I remember him as well as being deadly as a forward in colleges. No surprise he nailed that goal.

Looking forward to the final now. It s going to be tough though unless we have a couple of the bigger man back around midfield.

Probably get ate for this but I d put Andy back in at 14 for this one anyway. I don t think there is any alternative tbh. I know he has been doing well in half forward line but we might be better able to rejig the half line. At this moment in time only Conoreen and Conroy are on their game inside. I d go with a half line of Harte (if fit), McLoughlin and Dillon.

I thought Higgins was minor Captain in 2004.
MWWSI 2017

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2012, 05:38:38 AM

This sportsfile photo has Boyle as captain against Galway:

Hasta la victoria siempre

Lar Naparka

I'd go along with your selection, moysider.
I expect a very physical contest, played at a high pace, especially in the opening stages. All the lads you mentioned are fairly hard and well able to dish it out as well as take it. I don't think the game will be dirty or that Cork will lay into us but it'll be toe to toe all the way.
It's great to see that Mayo are starting to stand their ground and not let themselves be pushed around. I think Pat Harte was well ahead of his time in this regard. It's great to see him back from injury again and he seems to have quietened down a lot.
I always had a very high regard for his ability but felt he was inclined to loose the head rather easily and let frustration get in the way. All in all, he seems to be getting his act together very well and I expect him to  have a major part to play in our summer campaign.
I'd be inclined to switch him and McLoughlin around. I assume that Noel O'Leary will play no. 6 the next day and he's a hardy oul' root. I imagine Harte is  the better bet to pin him down as he is adept at tidying up loose ball and launching counter attacks.
I'd regard O'Leary as one of the langers' pivotal men. Unless he's pinned down, Mayo could be in trouble.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 18, 2012, 06:32:40 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2012, 05:38:38 AM

This sportsfile photo has Boyle as captain against Galway:

I remember the game well, Faherty from Galway scored a goal in the 6th minute of injury time and we lost by a point. I had always thought Higgins played as Captain that day, but it must have been the year before. I am sure I saw him in Ennis in 2003 along with Ronaldson against Kerry.
MWWSI 2017

highorlow

Jasus 18 pages on a league game. Someone say 'calm down'
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Maybe 2003 was Keith Higgins last year as minor? That would leave him 26/27 now ( young player of year 2006 when he was 20).
I remember him playing full- back in a minor league match. If he was captain it would have been in his senior year I reckon.