Job Advertisement – Strength & Conditioning Coach / Manager

Started by shawshank, September 08, 2011, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawshank

Great move and about time as well. Have to give great credit to John Keenan and Seamus Mc Cloy for driving Derry forward. Mc Cloy put together the strategic plan and got many of its priorities up and running, John has kept the momentum rolling with a more friendly face. The development of Owenbeg with the new facilities that will be there to support clubs and county. The introduction of the go game format, which is paying off as we are now seeing our colleges win the Dalton, Corn Na Og and Rannafast, progression to senior will hopefully be seamless as strcutures continue to be developed.

Job Advertisement – Strength & Conditioning Coach / Manager

Salary: Negotiable by experience

Derry GAA is seeking to appoint a full-time strength & conditioning coach/manager to work with hurling and football inter-county teams, hurling and football development squads, schools teams and hurling and football clubs in the county.

This will be a fixed term contract for three years dependent upon satisfactory completion of three months probationary period and subject to a review after two years.

Qualifications and experience required for this position:

Essential Qualifications:

-          Sport Science Degree or Equivalent

-          Weightlifting (IAWLA level 1, Setanta College RTWTS or PFCS or UKSCA)

-          Functional Screening (Gray Cook FMS, NASM, Martin Haines Performance Stability, Athlete Performance Course)

Experience:

-          Strength & Conditioning Coaching at Inter County Level (Senior & Underage) / a Professional level

-          Organising fitness education courses

-          Managing, supervising and mentoring fitness staff

-          Working with management teams and committees 

-          Working with Club and School Volunteers

Preferable:

-          Masters or PHD or Experience working with a National Governing Body

Derry County Board welcomes applications for the above post.

Application forms and further details can be obtained from the County Administrator, Owenbeg Centre of Excellence, 471 Foreglen Rd, Dungiven, Co.Derry BT47 7PW (Tel. No. 028 777 42990  Email: administrator.derry@gaa.ie). Completed applications must be returned to the monitoring officer at the above address no later than 4.00pm, Friday, 23rd September 2011.

Derry County Board is committed to equality of employment opportunity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified applicants regardless of religious belief, political opinion, racial group, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation and whether or not they possess a disability or have or do not have dependants.

screenexile

Excellent!! Good to see we're using a bit of forward thinking and getting this type of thing sorted early!

We are a year or so behind Armagh with this but we're doing the right things as far as I can see

lynchbhoy

imo these qualifications are ott

theres plenty of people who would prob be qualified, but like the professional world, qualifications dont guarantee decent candidates.

We'd be better off sending all our players to boxing training and basketball during the off season.
I am deadly serious.
Sometimes people get carried away with qualifications.
eg - the It world has people hell bent on MCSE, PMI or ITIL qualifications for example.
A lot of the people who have done these courses, you still wouldnt trust them to hardly turn on a computer or run a bath let alone support IT systems or project manage implementations .
(before you ask I have two out of the three of them and they are a load of cobblers - just great for the CV).

The notion of getting such a coach is a welcome idea, but thinking along he lines of academia to solve problems is , imo, a load of codswallop.
then again I dont tend to think along conventional lines.

BTW
I am Chris.

noskill

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 08, 2011, 04:25:39 PM
imo these qualifications are ott

theres plenty of people who would prob be qualified, but like the professional world, qualifications dont guarantee decent candidates.

We'd be better off sending all our players to boxing training and basketball during the off season.
I am deadly serious.
Sometimes people get carried away with qualifications.
eg - the It world has people hell bent on MCSE, PMI or ITIL qualifications for example.
A lot of the people who have done these courses, you still wouldnt trust them to hardly turn on a computer or run a bath let alone support IT systems or project manage implementations .
(before you ask I have two out of the three of them and they are a load of cobblers - just great for the CV).

The notion of getting such a coach is a welcome idea, but thinking along he lines of academia to solve problems is , imo, a load of codswallop.
then again I dont tend to think along conventional lines.

BTW
I am Chris.
Collins or Brown

HiMucker

Is it not that the qualifications are ott because the job is already earmarked for a said person with these.  I know of plenty of job offers like this, were they just have to put out publicly but already have the person in mind for the job.

cusack og

What's John McCloskey doing with himself these days? Is he still working for a rugby union outfit in England?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: HiMucker on September 08, 2011, 04:47:17 PM
Is it not that the qualifications are ott because the job is already earmarked for a said person with these.  I know of plenty of job offers like this, were they just have to put out publicly but already have the person in mind for the job.
have to say, and not harm to the earmarked person - but those kind of qualifications reek of someone with loads of classroom experience and knowledge in theory.

What qualifications had Eamonn Coleman , Sean Boylan, Mickey Harte etc etc
I know they didnt train/condition the actual county teams, but they set up the training/conditioning how they wanted it.

This kind of thing should be set up and permeate down to all county teams in all codes, with these essentials documented and replicated each year- with revisions each year augmenting the programmes and weeding out the stuff that doesnt work.
I was going to say 'until they are perfected' but the answer is that they will never be perfected as these games evolve over time.
imo

...plus good luck to the person already earmarked - I hope they prove me wrong.

dubai2000

heard on the grapevine that the new strength & conditioning coach salary in around £18/£20k, there going to get a clinking candidate for that money