They'll soon do away with Goalkeepers completely!

Started by delgany, July 03, 2019, 05:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

maccer

How about no pass back to you the goalkeeper inside the large square. Can't see any issue with goalkeepers coming out the field to become involved in play. It creates overlaps and some excitement in that the goals is open and you get the sense that one mistake could result in a goal as happened Graham Brody in the Div 3 final v Westmeath

five points

Quote from: maccer on July 05, 2019, 02:54:44 PM
How about no pass back to you the goalkeeper inside the large square. Can't see any issue with goalkeepers coming out the field to become involved in play. It creates overlaps and some excitement in that the goals is open and you get the sense that one mistake could result in a goal as happened Graham Brody in the Div 3 final v Westmeath

The large square meaning including the small square? Very hard on a team defending a goalmouth under pressure. The goalie is out of the game until an opposing forward plays the ball.

thewobbler

Esmeralda, of course a keeper would have purpose to his team - but only when the opposition have the ball. But should his own team have the ball, it would result in a tap over free (or perhaps a penalty) should a team mate knowingly or unknowingly bring him into play. Therefore he would be better off standing behind the end line; for at least if he unwittingly receives a pass, it will result in a 45, and not a tap over free.

Surely you can accept the practical reality of what I'm saying here?

——

Surely also you can agree that the scenario I previously described is a narrow version of a situation that unfolds many times in every match, whereby a fullback or corner back takes a clean fetch, and needs an immediate outlet in order to mitigate the chance of over carrying.

From the earliest days of Gaelic football, the keeper has been that outlet; an outlet that means the corner back's strong defensive play creates a reward for his team.

This is not and has never been a problem in Gaelic football.

But a blanket rule change makes it a panic button situation.

——

Soccer fullbacks when they're in trouble can still pass to their goalkeeper. That he cannot pick the ball up is an aside; he is still an active participant on the field.

This mooted rule change would not have that effect: it reduces the team in possession to a 14 man team.

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on July 05, 2019, 03:40:38 PM
Esmeralda, of course a keeper would have purpose to his team - but only when the opposition have the ball. But should his own team have the ball, it would result in a tap over free (or perhaps a penalty) should a team mate knowingly or unknowingly bring him into play. Therefore he would be better off standing behind the end line; for at least if he unwittingly receives a pass, it will result in a 45, and not a tap over free.

Surely you can accept the practical reality of what I'm saying here?

——

Surely also you can agree that the scenario I previously described is a narrow version of a situation that unfolds many times in every match, whereby a fullback or corner back takes a clean fetch, and needs an immediate outlet in order to mitigate the chance of over carrying.

From the earliest days of Gaelic football, the keeper has been that outlet; an outlet that means the corner back's strong defensive play creates a reward for his team.

This is not and has never been a problem in Gaelic football.

But a blanket rule change makes it a panic button situation.

——

Soccer fullbacks when they're in trouble can still pass to their goalkeeper. That he cannot pick the ball up is an aside; he is still an active participant on the field.

This mooted rule change would not have that effect: it reduces the team in possession to a 14 man team.
Like I said, kickouts and playing the ball when received from a shot dropped short are two examples of his purpose to the team. Obviously he would be of no use if his own team had the ball if the rule was brought in to cut off all backpasses. But that's not what you said.

On your second point, again of course I understood your point. I merely pointed out that in the situation you described, defending a last minute free, that you would have many other players back in and around the box, even as the rule stands now. I additionally pointed out that teams would adjust to the rule moreso and that it would hardly be that big of a step to pass it off to one of the other players. What's happened up to this point is irrelevant in the context of what the rule would bring and what changes it would require from defending teams.

I can't compare the soccer backpass rule to this one as this hasn't been proposed yet never mind discussed but again, I can obviously see the difference. As some others alluded to, the rule may be looked at in relation to the keeper being in a certain area of the field, perhaps ahead of the ball. Perhaps only being involved once before the opposition touch it, who knows. I think it's not worth discarding.

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on July 05, 2019, 04:23:14 PM
Wobbler, a goalkeeper leaving his net unattended to go and stand behind the endline when the ball is knocking about the goalmouth would be a very unwise move even if his own team have possession.

I don't think it would happen either HS. But you're talking about - for adult last line defenders - rewiring 2 decades of instinct. Given that's there would be absolutely no reason for a keeper to ever leave the small square when his team has possession, any time that instinct is followed, it's an immediate score for opposition.

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on July 05, 2019, 06:22:04 PM
Wobbler, a goalkeeper leaving his net unattended to go and stand behind the endline when the ball is knocking about the goalmouth would be a very unwise move even if his own team have possession.

I don't think it would happen either HS. But you're talking about - for adult last line defenders - rewiring 2 decades of instinct. Given that's there would be absolutely no reason for a keeper to ever leave the small square when his team has possession, any time that instinct is followed, it's an immediate score for opposition.
Other than when he catches the ball you mean?

thewobbler

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 05, 2019, 06:59:49 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 05, 2019, 06:22:04 PM

Other than when he catches the ball you mean?

Okay yes. I suppose so. But as he won't have the option of a quick return pass, and every one of his opponents knows that, and he will need his fellow defenders to show quickly, I assume it'll usually be a quick release.

westbound

If the suggestion was amended to Ban passes to the goalkeeper from outside the 14yard line. Any player in trouble inside the 14 can still use the keeper as an outlet.
But it stops players further out the field using the keeper as an easy option.
It also prevents short kick outs going to a defender and  then being returned to the keeper immediately!