Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Walsh reminds me a bit of the early years of Diarmuid Connolly in that he looks amazing when he has the ball yet doesn't make enough of an impact in games.
Back then you'd often hear Dublin players raving about how naturally talented Connolly was and how he was doing unbelievable things in training, yet he could be incredibly frustrating to watch.
Has Walsh ever played in the FF line?
He strikes me as the sort of lad who needs to have limited options when he gets the ball, i.e. take the defender on and score vs. try and be a playmaker.
Himself and Comer could do serious damage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mouview

Quote from: Jinxy on February 13, 2018, 03:32:48 PM
Walsh reminds me a bit of the early years of Diarmuid Connolly in that he looks amazing when he has the ball yet doesn't make enough of an impact in games.
Back then you'd often hear Dublin players raving about how naturally talented Connolly was and how he was doing unbelievable things in training, yet he could be incredibly frustrating to watch.
He strikes me as the sort of lad who needs to have limited options when he gets the ball, i.e. take the defender on and score vs. try and be a playmaker.

With his ball-carrying pace and ability to beat opponents, I don't think FF line would be his best siting; facing goal and coming onto a pass at speed is his forte. There is nothing 'co called apparent' about his ability in fairness, it's real, and he's having quite a good league so far. It's as GBB and others have pointed out, he needs to put his talent at the best disposal of his team. Maybe playing in Div I will finally instruct him on how to do it.

Orchard park

Quote from: mouview on February 13, 2018, 03:40:42 PM

With his ball-carrying pace and ability to beat opponents, I don't think FF line would be his best siting; facing goal and coming onto a pass at speed is his forte. There is nothing 'co called apparent' about his ability in fairness, it's real, and he's having quite a good league so far. It's as GBB and others have pointed out, he needs to put his talent at the best disposal of his team. Maybe playing in Div I will finally instruct him on how to do it.

all this ability is still potential which is crazy at his age. having a decent league but could his best friend even say he has play 2 really good consecutive championship games ever

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 13, 2018, 01:15:35 PM
Quote from: mouview on February 13, 2018, 11:51:13 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 13, 2018, 11:15:51 AM

Both sides were culpable of poor wides, Shane Walsh in particular who in general played well was poor in front of the posts; In fairness he looks a better player than last year, he looks bigger without affecting his pace and looks to be working harder and putting far more effort into stopping and dispossessing an opponent.

Kickouts though a huge problem, haven't seen the stats yet but there's a period towards the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd where Galway lost 4 or 5 in a row of their own, their were times when a Galway player had found space between the full back line and half back line but Lavelle didn't want to risk it. It needs a lot of work between now and May otherwise Galway will be on the wrong end of a hiding come the championship.

P Sweeney is out of his depth at this level, don't like been over critical of him as its the manager fault for continue to pick him. It was a great finish from McHugh but his lack of pace and strength will stop him from starting games this summer. I certainly wouldn't write him off though but looks like he's just not there yet in terms of S & C. I can see why Sean Kelly continues to be picked, he has great energy and covers a lot of ground but he just isn't strong enough to warrant a start come championship.

If Shane Walsh would work on his finishing, it would really take the work out of putting teams away.

With Shane I think it's more decision making than anything. Sometimes he doesn't release the pass at the right time and sometimes he tries shots that are just marginally outside his range. He drops way too many shots short into the keepers arms. I really think that is what is holding him back from being an absolutely top level player because on the ball he's incredible to watch. He can solo at pace with the ball faster than most defenders can run without a ball and he can kick off either foot equally well so defenders can't even force him onto his weaker side if they do catch up with him. Picking the right moments to pass and shoot is his big challenge.

That missed free is inexcusable and shouldn't be missed and his first wide was self indulgent whilst his 3rd wide was another poor execution. Their are times when I feel he could be carrying the ball further as more often than the space is their and he could easily draw more frees. In fairness many of his attempts come from moments of brilliance he's created himself. Lets hope he matures into the player he should be.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: rosnarun on February 12, 2018, 04:37:44 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 12, 2018, 04:04:36 PM
It has been said a few times but bears repeating - Cillian O'Connor was very overdue that red card. His brother was extremely lucky to escape with a yellow card for a really nasty and dangerous challenge directly afterwards on the same player.

It must be a while since Mayo beat Galway?
the incident only happen after the referee had abdicated all responsibility for the welfare off the players , Cillian had galway lads screaming in his face after missing a free earlier  and they are suprized he reacted? Diarmuids was just a bad tackle he has shown remarkable restrain  previously against monaghan in as did Aidan oShea yesterday being dragged along the ground when he was down injured and then getting booked just because he was assaulted in the minutes before that  as he was for most of the game.
I was always a fan of Galway football but they went down hugely in my estimation in the 2 games they have played mayo this year ,
if kernan was still in charge  you'd blame the ulster influence but no the have home grown scumbags as well,

Well over the top, have you really not seen Cillian O'Connor do this to his opponents? Its the main reason its him attracting this kind of attention other than anyone else because he's done it on so many occasions in the past.

You'd want to drop the victim act.

Syferus

Galway have got noticeably more scummy since Walsh took over. I'd put it down to a deficit of other ideas by the manager, honestly. Galway have some wonderful footballers who have been sent out to play a very limited, bully-boy style of blanket football in recent years.

Mayo are no angels but apart from the O'Connors I'd safely say they try to play more football than Galway do.

Christ, we've a very similar panel to Galway's in terms of our strengths and weakenesses and we always go out to play football for better or worse. I wish Galway had that courage because what they're currently doing is not Connacht football.

Maroon Manc

Thats a 1/10 in the wum stakes, I hope nobody takes the simpletons bait.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 13, 2018, 05:06:10 PM
Thats a 1/10 in the wum stakes, I hope nobody takes the simpletons bait.

Incredible that you'd think that was an attempt to wind up anyone. Probably more to do with your personal dislike of the poster than anything else. I've been very consistent about Galway's style of play.

larryin89

Whats connacht football like anyway?

Galway are a brilliant side, have a horrible feeling theyll win one before  or  in 2020. Have our bucks rattled , cant see us giving Galway any trouble in May. It will be a sombre mchale park on the evening of 13th of May. Absolutely dreading it, the final chapter , thought it would be last year tbh but it's a shoe in now for 2018.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on February 13, 2018, 07:27:04 PM

Galway are a brilliant side, have a horrible feeling theyll win one before  or  in 2020. Have our bucks rattled , cant see us giving Galway any trouble in May. It will be a sombre mchale park on the evening of 13th of May. Absolutely dreading it, the final chapter , thought it would be last year tbh but it's a shoe in now for 2018.

Galway aren't even in the same postcode as Donegal at the moment but they're going to win an AI by 2020? Talking about WUMs..

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on February 13, 2018, 07:34:30 PM

Galway aren't even in the same postcode as Donegal at the moment but they're going to win an AI by 2020? Talking about WUMs..

This is the same Donegal that Galway hammered in the championship last Summer and beat up in Donegal in the league only the week before last?

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 13, 2018, 07:41:31 PM

This is the same Donegal that Galway hammered in the championship last Summer and beat up in Donegal in the league only the week before last?

That was meant to read Dublin and not Donegal.

GBB, take it from a county who have done the whole blow-your-gasket in the league and smacked around the likes of Donegal and Kerry, it means nothing come the summer.

Galway are likely to hit the same wall we did and Monaghan continually hit in the summer because you're out earlier than we were and against an aging Mayo side who knows a trip through the Quailifers this year is as good as game over for their AI aspirations.

The Quailifers, if Galway can recover, would be a good test for a young Galway team and we'd get to see if Walsh has really made progress or if he's still threading water.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on February 13, 2018, 10:40:48 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 13, 2018, 07:41:31 PM

That was meant to read Dublin and not Donegal.

Dublin I can agree with.

Manning18

Quote from: Orchard park on February 13, 2018, 03:42:54 PM
Quote from: mouview on February 13, 2018, 03:40:42 PM

all this ability is still potential which is crazy at his age. having a decent league but could his best friend even say he has play 2 really good consecutive championship games ever

He put together 5 very good games consecutively in his debut season, aged 20. I think this shows his "apparant talent" that you questioned, that he could standout vs Mayo and Kerry at that age, but also probably proves the point that he hasn't fulfilled his talent since. He was contributing as much to games back then as he is now, despite filling out since

Orchard park

i'll disagree with you on his debut season being as brilliant as you allude to but will grant you his debut seaosn w,as his best but has he strung 2 good championship games together in the intervening years ????