TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2011, 12:44:50 PM
I watched Treme last week, 10 episodes drama set in New Orleans, a few months after hurricane Katrina.
Co-written by the Wire /Homicide lad, David Simon.
Usual suspects as the main actors, Bunk and Lester from the Wire, Kay from Homicide and even a drop-in part for Prez.

Excellant stuff, along with a pulsating soundtrack.

Is that the one with John Goodman in it? Seen it advertised on Sky HD, looked good but I forgot when it's on  :-\

Main Street

Yeah, John Goodman is in it.

I suppose you can check out the sky schedule here for Treme
http://skyatlantic.sky.com/treme

Nice picture of Bunk in full flow

Puckoon

Anyone ever seen Spartacus?  :o Watched the first episode the other day, lord almighty its basically every young high school fella's dream. Don't know whats more gratuitious - the blood or the sex.

ziggysego

Seen a bit of the first one Puck. Didn't watch anymore.
Testing Accessibility

nifan

actually gets quite good against the early odd puck.
I watched it after seeing a few reviews saying stick with it - its ridiculous but enjoyable.

charlie brookers take was "But here's the surprise – after a disappointingly slow (yes, slow – despite the constant sex and violence) pair of opening episodes, Spartacus starts to improve exponentially until somewhere round episode five, where you stop enjoying it ironically and start to enjoy it outright"

Puckoon

Going to have to square it away with the missus. There were a few raising of the eyebrows here and there. And I just realised it was the first episode of the second series that I watched.

Billys Boots

Ah the first series of Spartacus was a good laugh, and strangely compelling, despite all its flaws.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fluffy Che

Watched all season 1 of Spartacus and it fair pulls you along, really enjoyed it. Sadly the boy playing Spartacus has been diagnosed with cancer and has been replaced by the lead from Prison Break!!
Midnight to Six..

Doogie Browser

Show on now about Robbo, might be a bit of a love-in, we will see.

Denn Forever

Boston Legal on CBS Dramz at 10.00pm.  Good fun.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ballinaman

Just finished season 1 of boardwalk empire....good but not great! Decent storyline which isn't all over the place ala Lost or that shit called The Event!

paco

Quote from: ballinaman on February 10, 2011, 12:48:45 AM
Just finished season 1 of boardwalk empire....good but not great! Decent storyline which isn't all over the place ala Lost or that shit called The Event!

I definitely prefer that Blue Bloods show.

ballinaman

Quote from: paco on February 10, 2011, 08:20:42 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 10, 2011, 12:48:45 AM

I definitely prefer that Blue Bloods show.
Must have a goo at that show so!

nrico2006

Always meant to get around to watching The Soprano's, so couldn't believe it when I saw that season 1 wast starting last night on Atlantic HD.  One episode a week would have been no good to me a few years ago, but it suits me down to the ground now as I barely get near the TV at night.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Billys Boots

Am watching a Danish Crime series called Forbrydelsen (translates as The Killing) at the moment; very highly recommended. 

I think it's showing on BBC3 or 4 on Saturday nights too.  For those who don't like subtitles it's being remade by AMC in the US at present too - they're the folk who make Mad Men.  The (relatively) good news is that AMC have also decided that the great US tv-watching public will be able to handle a series set in a foreign land that isn't about US-folk saving the world - the series will be set in Denmark with Danish characters.  I think they've changed the name of the lead detective from Sarah Lund to Sarah Linden - who decides these things?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...