TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: ballinaman on January 10, 2013, 09:06:20 PM
Just started watching Oz, old HBO series...anyone seen it? Worth sticking with?
Definitely worth it some scenes hard to stomach though

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on January 10, 2013, 08:58:54 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 09, 2013, 09:39:28 PM
On the advice of a few people on here, I've just finished the first series of Breaking Bad. Great stuff altogether! Already ordered series 2 and 3.

Sign up for Netflix, if it suits, series 1-5 on it, they do a free 30 day trial. You could fly though it all in a month.
If he had nothing else to do like you.

ballinaman

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on January 10, 2013, 09:41:30 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 10, 2013, 09:06:20 PM
Just started watching Oz, old HBO series...anyone seen it? Worth sticking with?
Definitely worth it some scenes hard to stomach though
Sound, on episode 2...can see how that might happen already...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Minder on January 10, 2013, 08:58:54 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 09, 2013, 09:39:28 PM
On the advice of a few people on here, I've just finished the first series of Breaking Bad. Great stuff altogether! Already ordered series 2 and 3.

Sign up for Netflix, if it suits, series 1-5 on it, they do a free 30 day trial. You could fly though it all in a month.

Ah, I'm a bit old fashioned, DVDs do the job. Cheers anyway.
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

The 1st part of the superb adaptation of the Spies of Warsaw is being repeated tonight on BBC4  11.45pm.
It's a 2 part spy drama, with the 2nd part out on Wednesday evening.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/tmd5h/spies-of-warsaw--episode-1

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on January 14, 2013, 10:54:12 PM
The 1st part of the superb adaptation of the Spies of Warsaw is being repeated tonight on BBC4  11.45pm.

Sky+ her. Thanks for the tip  ;)

Billys Boots

Ah crap, I've missed it twice now.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nifan

Meant to catch it, but saw a few underwhelming reviews and it slipped my mind.

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on January 15, 2013, 09:34:08 AM

Meant to catch it, but saw a few underwhelming reviews and it slipped my mind.
Well, maybe 'superb adaptation' is over egging it, but definitely in the upper echelons of the usual BBC/ITV produced fare. They could have stretched it into 3 or 4 x 90 min. It's different and I can see where it wouldn't appeal to everybodys' taste but having had a read of some of the reviews, I'm left somewhat bemused by some of the gripes.
I don't mind the minimalism or the deliberate stereotyping, eg the nazi agents. Tennant has the centre,  much of it all falls on him to carry it off and the tension is there, just understated.

Canalman

Saw the 1st episode of Season 2 of Sherlock last night. Very good. First time seeing the series and definitely impressed.

Billys Boots

Been watching 'The Hour' in the last week or so - recently finished its second series on BBC.  It's set in the BBC during the cold war, on the set of a new 'modern' current affairs type programme.  Nicely paced, decent characterisation and a good spy-thriller storyline, with a real historical backdrop (Nasser in Suez and the Hungarian Uprising).  Only half-way through the first series at present but would recommend it (to the usual suspects).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hour_%28BBC_TV_series%29
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Quote from: Canalman on January 15, 2013, 02:32:16 PM
Saw the 1st episode of Season 2 of Sherlock last night. Very good. First time seeing the series and definitely impressed.
Was that on telly?

Canalman

Quote from: Hound on January 15, 2013, 02:35:39 PM
Quote from: Canalman on January 15, 2013, 02:32:16 PM
Was that on telly?

Had it UPC+ed Hound. Think the 2nd series is nearly over already on RTE2.

Canalman

Forgot to mention the celebrity diving reality show which I saw week before last. Final is next week I think. You can shove your other come dancing, dining,pet pampering etc etc. It was brilliant and only chanced on it while channel hopping.
One of them dived from the 10 meter board head first and took alot of guts on all their parts to dive. No hiding places for them and no faux "dramas" or "crisises".
Honestly surprised it is allowed as imvho it is fierce dangerous if the dive goes wrong.

Riveting viewing . Anyone else watch it ?

tbrick18

Quote from: Canalman on January 15, 2013, 04:34:32 PM
Forgot to mention the celebrity diving reality show which I saw week before last. Final is next week I think. You can shove your other come dancing, dining,pet pampering etc etc. It was brilliant and only chanced on it while channel hopping.
One of them dived from the 10 meter board head first and took alot of guts on all their parts to dive. No hiding places for them and no faux "dramas" or "crisises".
Honestly surprised it is allowed as imvho it is fierce dangerous if the dive goes wrong.

Riveting viewing . Anyone else watch it ?

Saw a bit of it one night, though it was the biggest pile of pish I'd seen in a while.
Each to their own I suppose.