The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 23, 2019, 09:08:22 AM
Quote2 losses in 4 days . 54 shots and 1 goal.

And 70% possession in both games.  Making tonnes of chances but not taking them.  Same against Sheffield Wednesday, but got a goal.  They are extremely vulnerable when they lose possession - a Bielsa trademark.  I have officially given up at this stage.   :(

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/22/brentford-vs-leeds-championship-live-score-goal-updates

"Now, barring a mathematical miracle in Leeds' favour, Sheffield United only have to beat relegated Ipswich at Bramall Lane on Saturday evening to return to the Premier League. That would consign Leeds to the play-offs, which have not been kind to them. They have failed to advance through the end-of-season lottery in four attempts and Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa warned that his team must overcome their wastefulness in front of goal to progress.
"This is the summary of our season, many chances to score compared to the goals we actually score," he said. "If we had normal efficiency we would have 10 or 12 points more. That is not the case so we have to put all our energy in the option we still have."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

Bielsa is a coaching genius who has improved almost every player at  Leeds beyond recognition. He clearly believes in keeping a tight squad in which every member knows his role in a high pressing style, and the result is the club's best season in the last 15 years. The frustration is that a relatively small additional investment could have secured automatic promotion, although he was genuinely unlucky that the deal agreed with Swansea for Daniel James collapsed right on the January deadline leaving no time to find an alternative. While dropping into the play-offs will be mentally tough, Leeds look certain to finish third and then have the advantage of the second leg at home against Derby, Bristol City or Middlesbrough, leaving the tougher pairing of WBA and Aston Villa on the other side of the draw. A place in the final would be massive, although only the best form from the first half of the season would be good enough for the ultimate prize.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 23, 2019, 06:53:08 PM
Bielsa is a coaching genius who has improved almost every player at  Leeds beyond recognition.

Of that there is no doubt. However Bielsa now has a much tougher job on his hands as the Club looks forward to their most important fixtures in the best part of a decade. That is of course man management - how does he reinvigorate / motivate players whose confidence seems to be very low. I was working on Good Friday, so did not see the Wigan disaster. I followed it though on the BBC live updates and they referred to the confidence falling out of the Leeds' players after the opening Wigan goal. There was plenty of evidence of something similar early on against Brentford.

It was a disastrous weekend and such a promising season now looks as if it could end in dust. How did it come to this? In terms of football played, little over a match and a half ago, everything seemed on course for the ultimate success - leading 1-0 against 10 man Wigan, at home, and having 70%+ of the play. I'd have to say that my sense is that there have been questions asked of the players' character and they have responded miserably. As the English like to say, they've bottled it and big time.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest room for optimism. Villa have gone on a winning streak that breaks a record that has stood for 109 years, whereas our players look bereft of confidence and self-belief. The immediate priority is to get the three points needed to ensure third place and an 'easier draw' and then hope that we can get through two legs and face the Villa juggernaut in a one off match where hopefully anything can happen.

Not good.

lurganblue

Yes Villa are flying but i'll be honest I wanted Sheff Utd to be in the playoffs instead of Leeds.  Leeds have been the best side to come to Villa Park this season. I also expect a few players to be rested on Sunday following their 10 in a row exploits. Abraham is gonna miss it with a shoulder problem anyway. Grealish could be rested and possibly McGinn too as he is close to the 15 yellow cards.

shark

Quote from: lurganblue on April 25, 2019, 11:49:10 AM
Yes Villa are flying but i'll be honest I wanted Sheff Utd to be in the playoffs instead of Leeds.  Leeds have been the best side to come to Villa Park this season. I also expect a few players to be rested on Sunday following their 10 in a row exploits. Abraham is gonna miss it with a shoulder problem anyway. Grealish could be rested and possibly McGinn too as he is close to the 15 yellow cards.

McGinn is on 13 yellows so he could play against Leeds and then rest against Norwich if he picks up a 14th vs Leeds. Slate is wiped before the playoffs so he may as well be on 14 cards as 13.
I expect Grealish to be left off on Sunday. Maybe Mings too. Likes of Bjarnesson, Lansbury, and Elphick could do with games.

Rufus T Firefly

The Villa red card has been overturned and Bamford has been charged and is almost certainly looking at a two match ban, which is fair enough, given the evidence. However Hourihane has escaped sanction which is a bit of a puzzler, given his complete loss of discipline and what appears to be a moment where he strikes Klich.

Hopefully Roofe will be fit and available and can get back to the form he was in prior to Christmas. Ipswich away on Sunday and a match where we need to get something to ensure third place. That would mean a more favourable play-off draw against Middlesbrough or Derby County, which in turn would mean the heavyweights of WBA and Villa could go at each other over two legs. 

It's been a depressing couple of weeks, but now that everything has (hopefully) settled down, there will be a realization amongst the players that there is still an opportunity to reach the promised land of the Premiership! 

shark

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 01, 2019, 08:02:44 AM
The Villa red card has been overturned and Bamford has been charged and is almost certainly looking at a two match ban, which is fair enough, given the evidence. However Hourihane has escaped sanction which is a bit of a puzzler, given his complete loss of discipline and what appears to be a moment where he strikes Klich.

Hopefully Roofe will be fit and available and can get back to the form he was in prior to Christmas. Ipswich away on Sunday and a match where we need to get something to ensure third place. That would mean a more favourable play-off draw against Middlesbrough or Derby County, which in turn would mean the heavyweights of WBA and Villa could go at each other over two legs. 

It's been a depressing couple of weeks, but now that everything has (hopefully) settled down, there will be a realization amongst the players that there is still an opportunity to reach the promised land of the Premiership!

Bristol City are still in the frame, at least until tonight. Derby have two tough games, and Boro are brutal.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: shark on May 01, 2019, 08:55:32 AM
Bristol City are still in the frame, at least until tonight. Derby have two tough games, and Boro are brutal.

Sorry, you're right, although even with last night's win I think they would be regarded as a wee bit of a long shot. If I'd my pick, I think I'd choose Derby, but all three of them would be capable of giving us our fill of it! 

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 01, 2019, 08:02:44 AM

Stop that positive thinking right now, Rufus.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  :D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

shark

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 01, 2019, 09:00:42 AM
Quote from: shark on May 01, 2019, 08:55:32 AM

Sorry, you're right, although even with last night's win I think they would be regarded as a wee bit of a long shot. If I'd my pick, I think I'd choose Derby, but all three of them would be capable of giving us our fill of it!

Surprises me that you'd prefer Derby. They are inconsistent, but are in pretty good form now and have class players in Mount and Wilson who could do something special in a one off game. Boro were better this time last year, when they barely created 1 chance over two legs against Villa. I would definitely prefer to play them if I were a Leeds fan.
Either way, I think Leeds will make the play-off final. Villa v WBA is as close to a 50/50 as you'll get.

lurganblue

Yeah Derby would be the one to avoid I think too. Boro are keek and will play dull Pulis football, hoping to nick a one nil over the 2 games. Leeds and Derby would be a tasty tie.

Billys Boots

Boro will try and get at Leeds after attacks break down - this is how Leeds lost to Birmingham, Wigan and Brentfor in the last month.  Derby will think that they have the firepower to go at Leeds, which suits Leeds' style of play - as proved by the two results against Derby this season.  Lampard has the nous to realise this and to try something new - that may not suit them either.  Leeds v Boro has been dreadful both time this season, and I would be fearful of playing them again.  Derby all the way, he says, signing the club's death warrant.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SLIGONIAN

Derby v Leeds sat 17.15
Leeds v Derby wed 19.45

Squeaky bum time, Tyler roberts inj big loss, jansson carrying knock. I still have hope in my heart but I don't trust this set of players to have the mental strength to push through, we create so many chances but aren't nearly ruthless enough in front of goal. Very disappointing not to be going up automatic given we were 3pts ahead going into Easter. 

They are showing the saturday match in carlos o briens in Vancouver and im hearing it will be full of Leeds Fans. Its 10.15 am kick off here.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

seafoid

64 mins

Derby 0 Leeds 1

Goal scored after 55 minutes by Roofe

seafoid

FT Derby 0 Leeds 1

Craig Ramage
Former Derby midfielder on BBC Radio Derby
Leeds really dominated the ball and it was only in the last 10-15 minutes that there was a spark for Derby but they never really looked like scoring.
I'm disappointed with the way Derby played - they are better than that