11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

The former First Minister Arlene Foster has said that attempts are being made to demonise culture and people need to 'dial down the rhetoric'. So the 'big lad' might want to start at the top
Careful now

Kilkevan

Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI out of curiosity. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Out of interest, could any Belfast posters tell me what Catholics/nationalists/republicans do on these days? I had heard that there is a rebel fest on the Falls with wall-to-wall rebel singers in the pubs but I don't know if that's true.

Franko

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:16:59 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Out of interest, could any Belfast posters tell me what Catholics/nationalists/republicans do on these days? I had heard that there is a rebel fest on the Falls with wall-to-wall rebel singers in the pubs but I don't know if that's true.

A good many go to work.  If you manage to get there and home again, it's the best place to be to ignore the shite.

Owen Brannigan

Virtually every bonfire in N.Ireland last night broke regulations, bye-laws and laws and nothing is being done about by the municipal bodies, the PSNI or the usual handwringing politicians who depend on this part of the community for support.

The true cost of the bonfires should be calculated and fed to the British media who are now so interested in the DUP and their supporters to allow them to highlight the waste of public resources on the 11th night alone.  The best that should be done is for the council and government agencies to leave the mess created by the bonfires until all other priority areas are dealt with as part of their statutory duties.  Don't repair the play parks, the playing fields and the road surfaces until new funds can be allocated to doing so and leave the smouldering remains and other bonfire detritus to be cleaned up by whoever wants in these communities. 

Business and property owners should sue the Belfast City Council and other municipal authorities for damage and not rely on their insurance to pay for the damage. It is clear that the injunctions and removal of funding was due to legal advice provided to BCC about their responsibility for allowing bonfires on their land and as a licensing authority.

On the plus side the level of violence associated with 11/12th activities is now at its lowest for as long as many care to remember. 

Kilkevan

Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:18:59 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

A good many go to work.  If you manage to get there and home again, it's the best place to be to ignore the shite.

Is everyone not off with it being a bank holiday though? I know not everyone, bar staff, nurses, police etc, gets a bank holiday but I presumed the majority would.

imtommygunn

Get out of belfast is generally what we do. 

dclane

Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:10:21 AM
Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:01:27 AM
And you all just sit back and do nothing about it...

What would you suggest big lad?
I don't live there so I don't care. You boys do nothing but complain about it. Got off the internet and go do something about it.

Franko

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:23:40 AM

Is everyone not off with it being a bank holiday though? I know not everyone, bar staff, nurses, police etc, gets a bank holiday but I presumed the majority would.

Yeah, it's a bank holiday, but anyone in the private sector with an understanding boss usually gets away with working and using the days holiday when you can actually go somewhere.  Ie. without worrying if the GAA top the young boy is wearing in the back seat is going to get you a hiding.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 12, 2017, 11:23:24 AM
Virtually every bonfire in N.Ireland last night broke regulations, bye-laws and laws and nothing is being done about by the municipal bodies, the PSNI or the usual handwringing politicians who depend on this part of the community for support.

The true cost of the bonfires should be calculated and fed to the British media who are now so interested in the DUP and their supporters to allow them to highlight the waste of public resources on the 11th night alone.  The best that should be done is for the council and government agencies to leave the mess created by the bonfires until all other priority areas are dealt with as part of their statutory duties.  Don't repair the play parks, the playing fields and the road surfaces until new funds can be allocated to doing so and leave the smouldering remains and other bonfire detritus to be cleaned up by whoever wants in these communities. 

Business and property owners should sue the Belfast City Council and other municipal authorities for damage and not rely on their insurance to pay for the damage. It is clear that the injunctions and removal of funding was due to legal advice provided to BCC about their responsibility for allowing bonfires on their land and as a licensing authority.

On the plus side the level of violence associated with 11/12th activities is now at its lowest for as long as many care to remember.

In terms of money lost on the 11th, money must be lost hand-over-fist on the 12th too. Go to any city centre in Ireland or the UK on a bank holiday and it's pure black with people shopping, going to restaurants, cafés, pubs, cinema etc. Judging by the pictures on BBC1, the whole of Belfast city centre grinds to a standstill. It's full of people sure, but the majority of them look like they'd think a fish supper was cultural.

The irony of them burning EU flags but their bands playing Ode to Joy is something!

punt kick

Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:24:59 AM

I don't live there so I don't care. You boys do nothing but complain about it. Got off the internet and go do something about it.

You don't care yet you care enough to post. I assume you are in your early teens?

Franko

Ah right, fcuk all to add then.  Useful boy you.

I suppose you're 'alright' where you are?  ;)

Kilkevan

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2017, 11:25:13 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI out of curiosity. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Go to Donegal.
Sit in the house.
Go for a pint and thank King Billy for the day off.
Cut the grass.
Endulge in recreational rioting at a parade flashpoint.
Go to work.

Lol, I get your point but I would find the concept of not being able to go into Kilkenny city centre for fear of getting my head caved in bizarre.

Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:23:40 AM

Yeah, it's a bank holiday, but anyone in the private sector with an understanding boss usually gets away with working and using the days holiday when you can actually go somewhere.  Ie. without worrying if the GAA top the young boy is wearing in the back seat is going to get you a hiding.

Ah, at least that's somewhat positive.

dclane

Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:30:58 AM

Ah right, fcuk all to add then.  Useful boy you.

I suppose you're 'alright' where you are?  ;)
I'm fine thank you.
You keep complaining about it on the internet though. That will get you places alright.

Kilkevan

The Sash yyyeeettt again... "one song, you only have one song..." comes to mind.

I'd swear a lot of the other tunes are the same airs as some rebel songs are sung to.

LCohen

Catholics do the same as most of the the rest of us.

Get out of the place is less of an option when it falls on a Wednesday. I cut the lawn. About to start on the hedges and then the weeds. I like to think of it as green fest