Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on December 12, 2020, 02:36:11 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 12, 2020, 11:12:05 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 12, 2020, 09:07:01 AM
I'd say 6 months or so of no deal mayhem will soon bring them back to the negotiating table and they'll be a lot easier talked to then.
Do not bank on that

Nationalism is a very dangerous force and causes people to totally lose their senses

Only the tribe matters, reason becomes the enemy

Applies in Ireland just as much as in Britain

Nobody voted for No Deal
The UK will be very unstable going forward
They didn't but over the last few years plenty of people have allowed themselves to be fooled that they did

If no deal happens, there will be two strands to the reaction of such people

i) will be to "always look on the bright side of life" - "oh, it's not that bad, is it? We were told it was going to be a disaster" - "the arrogant prognostications and doom mongering of the liberal elite have yet again proved out of touch" (Brexiteers don't get the irony that ludicrous doom mongering and scaremongering was an essential part of the Brexit project)

ii) will be imagined victimhood - "everything is the EU's fault" - immigrants and people of colour will be conveniently lumped in with the EU as being to blame - victimhood is an essential part of nationalism

These beliefs will be held simultaneously even though they are contradictory

Armamike

I'd say 6 months or so of no deal mayhem will soon bring them back to the negotiating table and they'll be a lot easier talked to then.

Was thinking the same earlier.  The mood may change in a few months time once the reality of the situation kicks in.
That's just, like your opinion man.

bennydorano

The most appropriate quote of Brexit belongs to Slugger ,(maybe he nicked it?), 'You can never be free from imaginary oppression'. Love that quote, applicable to many situations but so appropriate for the UK.

red hander

Quote from: Armamike on December 12, 2020, 03:43:56 PM

Was thinking the same earlier.  The mood may change in a few months time once the reality of the situation kicks in.

Royal Navy gunboats stopping French trawlers fishing in Blighty's waters. French customs officials dotting every i and crossing every t with British lorries, leading to 20 mile tailbacks in Dover and Calais. Plus zero attempts to stop refugees crossing the English Channel in dinghies. Wonder who will blink first. I know who my money is on.

seafoid

Quote from: red hander on December 12, 2020, 06:13:55 PM
Quote from: Armamike on December 12, 2020, 03:43:56 PM

Royal Navy gunboats stopping French trawlers fishing in Blighty's waters. French customs officials dotting every i and crossing every t with British lorries, leading to 20 mile tailbacks in Dover and Calais. Plus zero attempts to stop refugees crossing the English Channel in dinghies. Wonder who will blink first. I know who my money is on.

https://www.ft.com/content/e8858b30-0260-46ff-b3b8-d8b9ca540d11

Dublin YESTERDAY 1921 Brussels has warned EU governments not to break ranks or entertain the idea of side deals with Britain should trade talks fail, urging a firm line in order to force the UK back to the negotiation table "as soon as possible" after January 1. According to a diplomatic note seen by the Financial Times, EU member states were warned by Brussels not to do anything that would ease the consequences of a no-deal end to the Brexit transition period on January 1.  One EU official familiar with the discussion said Brussels was under "no illusion" that a no-deal Brexit would be highly unpredictable. "Everyone understands there are no guarantees the British come back to the table." A second senior EU diplomat said hopes were fading for a deal. "A deal would, of course, be preferable, but it is beginning to look like the question is not whether we can stop the Brexit ship hitting the rocks, but how it can be refloated."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: screenexile on December 09, 2020, 11:35:34 PM
Looking at it seriously this evening there has to be a deal.

The fishing thing is small fry and the UK don't have enough boats to fish all their waters and also don't have the market to sell their catches given the tariffs that will be imposed.

Fishing's a red herring.

The real problem lies in who arbitrates any disputes and whether the European Courts take precedence above the UK supreme court.
i usse an speelchekor

bennydorano

Quote from: bennydorano on December 09, 2020, 01:28:45 PM
Fishing is a bit of a false flag, LPL and Governance are where it's at.

Oddschecker has a deal at 8/15 and no deal at 11/8. I'd be taking the 11/8 atm.
Yes to a deal (in 2020) back to 4/6 and no deal 11/10

johnnycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 13, 2020, 02:19:51 PM

The fishing thing is small fry and the UK don't have enough boats to fish all their waters and also don't have the market to sell their catches given the tariffs that will be imposed.

Fishing's a red herring.

The real problem lies in who arbitrates any disputes and whether the European Courts take precedence above the UK supreme court.

Read an interesting article on the fishing thing over the weekend. Trying to find the link but in the meantime the gist of the article is that when subsidies were first introduced by the EU to stop the idiots from fishing to extinction the quota's were brought in along with a raft of other criteria like changes to the nets and so forth that would have meant these fishing boats needing to invest to keep up. Various EU countries helped out with financial grants to help upgrade the boats, but not the UK meaning a lot of the small UK boats and companies ended up selling their quotas to the French fishing industry for not unsubstantial amounts and this is a bone of contention for the French fishing industry.
All's never as simple as it seems.

RadioGAAGAA

Oh, didn't know that - very interesting indeed.
i usse an speelchekor

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on December 14, 2020, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 13, 2020, 02:19:51 PM

Fishing's a red herring.

Read an interesting article on the fishing thing over the weekend. Trying to find the link but in the meantime the gist of the article is that when subsidies were first introduced by the EU to stop the idiots from fishing to extinction the quota's were brought in along with a raft of other criteria like changes to the nets and so forth that would have meant these fishing boats needing to invest to keep up. Various EU countries helped out with financial grants to help upgrade the boats, but not the UK meaning a lot of the small UK boats and companies ended up selling their quotas to the French fishing industry for not unsubstantial amounts and this is a bone of contention for the French fishing industry.
All's never as simple as it seems.
Thon? > https://www.bbc.com/news/46401558

imtommygunn

Diane Dodds has said today her dept is facing a significant shortfall in budget due to the loss of 70 million from EU funding.

These are the people that govern us and couldn't see this shit coming. Absolute morons.

red hander

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 16, 2020, 03:02:34 PM
Diane Dodds has said today her dept is facing a significant shortfall in budget due to the loss of 70 million from EU funding.

These are the people that govern us and couldn't see this shit coming. Absolute morons.

Considering she was an MEP, she of anyone should have seen this coming. But among the ranks of thick as pigshit DUP members, where the competition is truly fierce, Diane stands head and shoulders above the pack.  ;D

Rossfan

Did those fkn eejits think they could leave the EU but the money would keep coming?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on December 16, 2020, 05:42:13 PM
Did those fkn eejits think they could leave the EU but the money would keep coming?

London promised to keep up the money. But as Cornwall etc found out, London's promise is not worth a damn.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B