Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 19, 2018, 07:12:09 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 19, 2018, 06:59:44 PM

PETER LEAHY HAS called for an end to the Mayo Ladies football controversy and has asked for the public to "lay off comments" towards the players on both sides of the row.

In what he says will be his final comment on the matter, the Mayo boss said the issues highlighted by the departed 14 at a press conference on Monday night are "management-player" issues rather than "player welfare issues".

"It's not healthy for anyone to be going over and back when there clearly is a divide on these opinions or interpretations," Leahy said.

Hearing words like 'unsafe' used to describe his management set-up has caused "pain and suffering" for his wife and three children, he added.

Asking for the public comments from both sides to stop, he confirmed his intention to remain in charge for 2019 and said that the door is not closed on those who have left the panel to return to the Mayo squad in the future.

"It must come to an end now, as far as the 'he-said-she-said' statements and interviews are concerned anyway," Leahy said in an email to The42.

"As far as I'm concerned, this is over. All sides have had their say and all that is happening now is we're giving the public the right to make insulting comments on social media which are hurting a lot of people. It's even going as far as affecting people's mental health, it appears, so I'm asking for people to lay off comments to players.

"The only reason I made a comment in the first place was to clarify the wording of 'unsafe' or 'unhealthy' which has different connotations to 'player welfare'.

"Player welfare is a very open statement and can mean so many things. For example, the players who left have given reasons and examples of player welfare that the players who stayed, management, and county board think are not player welfare issues but management-player issues."

Former captain Sarah Tierney was critical of Leahy's management style and while he did not comment on the specific incidents which Tierney put forward on Monday, he accepted his methods may not suit everyone.

"Players should never get public criticism from management and I would never hit back at any of the comments the players make publicly, no matter how much I think they are wrong or exaggerated.

"As a manager, we expect criticism, we expect people to disagree with our methods or how we do things," he continued. "We expect everyone to have their slant on things and even embellish the negatives and brush over the positives of your management style.

"That is what we sign up for from the start. As a manager, you know you are not there for pats on the back and you know you've got to take a few kicks up the backside. From not picking the right team, to decisions on the day of a match or training methods, rarely will you get 40 people on a panel to agree with you or even like your style or methods.

"As for the viewing public, they are always ready to jump on a manager at any stage. This is what management is about, but it's also about so much more. It's about loving what you do, seeing the sense of achievement on players' faces after a super training session or game or knowing you have helped make someone a better player or achieve something they always wanted to achieve in their sporting careers.

"Yeah, we have hard decisions and we sometimes get them wrong, but once you can stand over your decisions and correct the ones you make mistakes with, then you're learning, getting better and progressing all the time."

Leahy admitted his family had been affected by the speculation surrounding the saga and confirmed he plans to remain in charge for 2019.

"As far as the players who have left the panel, I hold no grudges personally and I never asked anyone to leave the panel in the first place. I would be delighted to sit down with anyone who wanted to play for Mayo and discuss with an open and transparent view of them wanting to play for Mayo.

"This is about playing football and anyone wanting to play football for Mayo. I'm the appointed manager and they are welcome to come and play football under my management.

"The county board, the players and the general public have given me great support, but I mostly want to thank my wife and my three children who have gone through so much pain and suffering because of the speculation caused by words like 'unsafe' and 'sensitive nature'.

"As far as the Mayo team are concerned, we won't be making any more comments on the matter. We are looking forward to 2019 and at the moment we are recruiting and adding to our squad."

Sounds like my wife , always wants to have the last word !

Ok I know you're just wumming but I'll bite.

When the players claimed playing for Mayo was an unsafe environment this whole saga exploded. They still haven't withdrawn or expanded on that statement.

You can't say s**t like anymore with explaining or expanding on the comment. I don't know were Peter Leahy and his family are from but I can only imagine how those comments must have affected him in his work and personal life. Everyone talking about it with him and his family it must have been a nightmare. The cheek of the Mayo girls to claim this issue has caused them problems after Cora threw the grenade with her comments is pure hypocrisy.

At least he is trying to solve the issue. The mayo girls are throwing out issues in press releases that they didn't even discuss previously with the co board or player welfare officer. How does that make any sense?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 03:24:47 PM
You clearly didn't listen to Sarah Tierney, who had been having issues with Leahy since January.

Yet the liaison officer was never approached.

Your head is, as usual, firmly lodged up yer...
i usse an speelchekor

Halfquarter

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2018, 08:35:47 PM
You clearly didn't listen to Sarah Tierney, who had been having issues with Leahy since January.

Ah yes, the good old Liason Office.
She would have waved her magic wand and solved everything , as happened so many times before !

trileacman

The players clearly started the public mud slinging in this affair and should shoulder more of the blame. If they wanted to say to Leahy in private that it was an unsafe environment they could have. In a public statement though it should been stated that there was a difference of opinion or dissatisfaction with his management style.

To state it was due to an "unsafe environment" that insinuates a serious offence when it comes to a male manager presiding over female players is a disgusting course of action. It was an deliberate attempt to publicly subvert confidence in Leahy.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

OffTheDeck

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 19, 2018, 11:41:07 PM

She would have waved her magic wand and solved everything , as happened so many times before !
Maybe Sarah thought her pal sid waddell Cora was the liaison officer and that's how we've ended up here?

LeoMc

Maybe the Liaison officer would not have resolved the issue but there would be a record or it and the current complaint list would not look like it was made up 3 months later.

trueblue1234

The fact she didn't bring the complaints through the proper channels at the time reflects badly imo. It's too easy to come up with complaints afterwards to justify the actions. But if she took no action to try and resolve them before walking out weeks before a game then, I'm sorry, but it looks like they have thrown the toys out of the pram and are now trying to justify why the toys are lying on the ground.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Halfquarter

Quote from: trileacman on September 20, 2018, 12:11:04 AM
The players clearly started the public mud slinging in this affair and should shoulder more of the blame. If they wanted to say to Leahy in private that it was an unsafe environment they could have. In a public statement though it should been stated that there was a difference of opinion or dissatisfaction with his management style.

To state it was due to an "unsafe environment" that insinuates a serious offence when it comes to a male manager presiding over female players is a disgusting course of action. It was an deliberate attempt to publicly subvert confidence in Leahy.

If you go back through the thread you will find that that hoary old chestnut has been recycled to death.
Ultimately,its time to find another stick to beat them with.

iorras

Quote from: dublin7 on September 19, 2018, 03:06:16 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 02:55:57 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 19, 2018, 01:30:03 PM

It's like dealing with a goldfish.

You forget everything said/pointed out previously and keep on insisting manager must go as part of some personal vendetta. Either that or you choose to completely ignore it . You refuse to accept the behaviour of the Carnacon players was even remotely out of order and the manager is some kind of monster who should be banished from the county never to return. 

Players pressuring teammates to quit a panel clearly only acting in the best interests of Mayo football ::) ::)
What nonsense.

You've been repeating the same lie multiple times and are now claiming fantastical things about my view of Peter Leahy.

The simple reality is that when a manager loses 12 players including nine of the 18 players used in last year's All-Ireland final, from different clubs, and within six months of taking over, he has failed in his job, and should go.

Whatever. You clearly have no intention of addressing the behaviour of Cornacon players. It's not healthy to have such an irrational hatred of Peter Leahy though
Yeah, you'd think he was, I dunno, related to one of the players or something.....

iorras

Yeah, and if there was no liaison officer you'd be bleating about that. They even brought a professional mediator but I suppose when all your really mediating is "he wont let us pick the team" but saying other things it would be hard to get anywhere in mediation.

iorras

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 09:05:54 AM

If you go back through the thread you will find that that hoary old chestnut has been recycled to death.
"Hoary old chestnut", that's the crux of the argument you clown. Character assassination in public forums with nothing to back it up. The rest of it is noise at this stage

Halfquarter

Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2018, 09:28:37 AM

"Hoary old chestnut", that's the crux of the argument you clown. Character assassination in public forums with nothing to back it up. The rest of it is noise at this stage

You made a fool of yourself here yesterday as well,keep it up.

iorras

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 09:41:38 AM

that really hurt my feelings, I'm now concerned for my welfare and mental health. I think you have created an unsafe environment here halfquarter, I need to leave. Let me get Ger Gilroy, Sinead Kissane and the rest of the right on gang into a presser till I announce this.

Keyser soze

The players who made those statements have behaved despicably in my view. They have made insinuations without a single shred of evidence to back it up at this point, it was clear there was a nudge nudge wink wink sexual slant to their allegations with the use of the words 'unsafe environment'. They had the opportunity to state that this was not the case and chose not to do so thus confirming that it was intentional on their part. To also play the 'this is affecting our mental health' card is another really really low thing to do.

I think there should be a full scale investigation conducted into this matter and if people are found to have made baseless allegations they should be held to account most severely.

rosnarun

Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2018, 10:29:34 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 09:41:38 AM

To state it was due to an “unsafe environment” that insinuates a serious offence when it comes to a male manager presiding over female players is a disgusting course of action. It was an deliberate attempt to publicly subvert confidence in Leahy.

that really hurt my feelings, I'm now concerned for my welfare and mental health. I think you have created an unsafe environment here halfquarter, I need to leave. Let me get Ger Gilroy, Sinead Kissane and the rest of the right on gang into a presser till I announce this.

every one know if you repeat a trith on the internet 3 times it becomes untrue and worse make you boring
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere