Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 24, 2015, 02:12:02 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 02:07:45 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 24, 2015, 02:01:48 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 01:53:33 PM
Quote from: Uisce on June 24, 2015, 01:50:34 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 24, 2015, 01:45:06 PM
We need someone who can get all the players playing for the county. Someone that inspires everyone to join up and put everything into it. In some counties this kind of commitment is a given, not in Laois. For this reason we need a big name manager. Someone who'd make the same impact as Micko, just his name brought everyone on side to begin with.
If we appoint an inside man this wouldn't happen, if we appoint someone from outside similar to O'Flatharta they would be in the same position. The problem is that we don't have the money for a big name manager. We'll have to appoint someone local or second rate and hope the players show some pride and start playing for their county.

Fully agree with this. I can't imagine a local person who would get everyone putting their shoulder to the wheel and get the top footballers in the county at their disposal.
I think thats unfair. What you mean to say is you can't see a local person capable of getting everyone to put their shoulder to the wheel and get the top footballers in the county at their disposal.

Hurling supporters thought that too for a long time.

Cheddar had to go and beg players to play. He's put a lot of his own money in to make the setup what it is. There's not many Cheddars around. The county board wont find one. The Messiah must rise himself.
There aren't many managers out there who aren't going to have to go beg these players everyone demands involved. Micko was the exception, not the rule.

That's what we're saying. It'll take a really big name to get everyone on board, the players don't want to play for their county otherwise. If we could find a football version of Cheddar that'd be great but that's not going to happen.
And I'm pointing out barring McGuinness, who may not even be all that, this mythical figure isn't out there. We'd be better off asking why aren't these players interested enough in playing for Laois. I know why some recent defecetees got out, and I suspect they'll be back very soon, but the others, I think there's some sort of major malfunction in them fellas.

Teo Lurley

We can't afford a big name anyway. We'll have to make do with whoever we get. Some players will come back, others will leave, then we'll have the drop outs. We'll be saying the same stuff next year.

Uisce

Whoever we do get as manager, there is no point in hounding lads to play who do not want to. There was much talk about Laois players mentality after the Antrim and Kildare games. The players on the field those days were lads who wanted to be there representing their county. I would be far more confident with lads like that over lads who did not want to be there.

Timmy

I'm not sure any inside men would have the effect we need, although maybe Higgins and Conway would be worth a shout as selectors/coaches. I think this is a vital appointment, we're on a slippery slope at the moment. Would it be worth going after James Horan? Pat O'Shea of Kerry, Kevin McStay maybe? Maybe we couldn't afford them, but I'm pretty sure TOF was on decent money!

INDIANA

Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 24, 2015, 01:29:44 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 09:16:54 AM
Quote from: Catch and Kick on June 23, 2015, 02:43:41 PM

Laois have been magnificent over a long period - punching above their weight given the population and number of clubs.

They were magnificent against Kildare and probably should be preparing for the Leinster semi final this week. But that's sport.

Magnificent? Used twice? Are you on drugs? Can I have some?

TOF was rubbish. We're not great, but we're worth more than the shit he has peddled these past 2 years.

Let this sink it

Wicklow
Wexford
Fermanagh
Carlow

And beaten by

Tipperary
Antrim (a f**king jokeshop Antrim outfit, by their own admission)

Thats where we are. And he calls that progress.

Like I said, we have a lot of problems, but he was a massive one. Nice man, but out of his depth, and that was known long before he arrived in Portlaoise.

Trained Westmeath to a Leinster title . As a manager on his own he brought them to the last 8 twice with some notable qualifier victories. Yeah he's rubbish alright

Bar Kingston and JOL you're short quality players. No manager in the world will fix that.
Training Westmeath to a Leinster title had nothing got to do with his managerial ability. Let me repeat that, NOTHING. Also it was over 10 years ago. Football has moved on an amount since then. Did he train this Laois team?

His achievements as manager of Westmeath also happened close to 10 years ago, so still nothing new there.

We didnt ask for a manager to fix it, we asked him to come up with a way to deal with it. It seems like you're not a Laois man so its unlikely you've seen this team play all that much, and for that reason, I'll ask you to mind your own business and not be talking about historical facts.

This is a public forum and I'll comment on whatever topic I bloody well like. If you want your own forum setup a private one .

Your best club side were laid to waste last October by my club. If thats the best Laois have to offer at club level it's no wonder your county side is in the poor state it is. Youve done nothing at minor and u21 level for years . Your better off appointing your own because when they haven't done any better you won't be able to blame it on outsiders.

Catch and Kick

Laois have done well to stay in Division 2. They have had consistently operated in the top 2 divisions for a lair ong time. That is an achievement for a county of it's size. The graph is probably on a downward spiral now. It happens.
'Supporters' on here really need to get a grip of themselves - and should man up to the damage they do to the mentality of players with the spiel they spout. Turning their heads the wrong way.

Example: Ross Munnelly has been an absolute star for Laois throughout his career and to listen to Laois supporters abusing him is truly disgusting. Shame on those that stoop so low. Not nice stuff for him to have to deal with or for his family members either. It's not unique to Laois - it happens everywhere but Laois need a dose of reality - Laois are not going to win much on the next 20 years but the team still deserves support when it takes to the field.

redsetanta

Nobody here was abusing Ross Munnelly, maybe you heard it at the game or in a pub somewhere but it's not unusual to hear 'supporters' slagging off players no matter what the sport.

On our league status, we are where we are on merit. Would a drop down to Div 3, if it happens, be such a disaster? We won a league title playing football in Div 4 although times have changed and that will never happen again.

TOF was never going to do anything with Laois really and many questioned his appointment in the first place. My preferance would be an inside job but we don't have a glut of personalities available or of the standard required to take on the role. It is practically a full time job nowadays so there are ver few who can give that committment.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

CruiseCigar

Wow some posts but bottom line a terrible result against Antrim. Definitely a slippery slope. It seems. And woild like tosay Ross has been a great player for the county.
Surely if we can find laois management it is worth a shot. Although Ayers need to want to give all for the shirt too. Management can only do so much
Laoise abú

OTF

Who are all these players who won't commit and if they did would any of them actually make the team. I'm of the opinion  that none would and they know it.
Healy of course the exception to above.

Billy is the only Laois player I have seen abused  regularly both at games and on Internet forums, I cant say I have ever hear'd Ross abused.

Inside manager this time and it won't be easy as we'll probably hit the bottom over the next 2 years.

Teo Lurley

Nolan is Portlaoise number one, he'd start ahead of Brody. Healy as you say. McMahon if he trained all year, O'Leary is still only 29, Merideth if he trained all year, Walsh would start, Cahilane would start. Others like Meaney would be good bench options or maybe move O'Loughlin further forward. Begley could be released from half back if we had the options above.
It's not just the starting team that would benefit either. The bench would be stronger. At training there would be more competition for places and lads pushing eachother along. Also the quality of training matches would improve, no offence to the lads who bothered showing up when called for their county but some of the squad are nowhere near inter cunty standard. It's not their fault.
In 2003 we had everyone showing up for training. All the young fellas and older lads like Huey, Sweeney, Goggie and Mick Lawlor. Everyone was pulling in the same direction and put everything into it. Now we have lads retiring at 29 and throwing their toys out of the pram if everything isn't perfect for them. It's the attitude that's wrong and it needs changing.

BallyroanAbu

TOF was a bad manager before he ever arrived in Laois, I remember when he arrived alot of people openly questioned the appointment.  Considering his record there has to be questions asked how he was ever appointed Laois manager.  The manager has to be a good appointment if not you lose the players quickly like Laois.  I have never heard Ross being abused by Laois supporters but he no longer is the force he once was.  Personally I would like a young manager with alot to prove.  I would be in favour of someone based in the county.

Don Draper

Quote from: INDIANA on June 24, 2015, 04:33:46 PM

Laois have been magnificent over a long period - punching above their weight given the population and number of clubs.

They were magnificent against Kildare and probably should be preparing for the Leinster semi final this week. But that's sport.

TOF was rubbish. We're not great, but we're worth more than the shit he has peddled these past 2 years.

Let this sink it

Wicklow
Wexford
Fermanagh
Carlow

And beaten by

Tipperary

Like I said, we have a lot of problems, but he was a massive one. Nice man, but out of his depth, and that was known long before he arrived in Portlaoise.

Trained Westmeath to a Leinster title . As a manager on his own he brought them to the last 8 twice with some notable qualifier victories. Yeah he's rubbish alright

Bar Kingston and JOL you're short quality players. No manager in the world will fix that.
Training Westmeath to a Leinster title had nothing got to do with his managerial ability. Let me repeat that, NOTHING. Also it was over 10 years ago. Football has moved on an amount since then. Did he train this Laois team?

His achievements as manager of Westmeath also happened close to 10 years ago, so still nothing new there.

We didnt ask for a manager to fix it, we asked him to come up with a way to deal with it. It seems like you're not a Laois man so its unlikely you've seen this team play all that much, and for that reason, I'll ask you to mind your own business and not be talking about historical facts.

This is a public forum and I'll comment on whatever topic I bloody well like. If you want your own forum setup a private one .

Your best club side were laid to waste last October by my club. If thats the best Laois have to offer at club level it's no wonder your county side is in the poor state it is. Youve done nothing at minor and u21 level for years . Your better off appointing your own because when they haven't done any better you won't be able to blame it on outsiders.
I am deciding whether to report your post, it is nasty and mean spirited and not in keeping with the spirit of the GAA.

Portlaoise are not my Club either FYI.

Oh, and its you're, not your.

Don Draper

Quote from: OTF on June 24, 2015, 10:53:48 PM
Who are all these players who won't commit and if they did would any of them actually make the team. I'm of the opinion  that none would and they know it.
Healy of course the exception to above.

Billy is the only Laois player I have seen abused  regularly both at games and on Internet forums, I cant say I have ever hear'd Ross abused.

Inside manager this time and it won't be easy as we'll probably hit the bottom over the next 2 years.
O Leary
McMahon
Meaney
Cahillane

To name just 4

Oh and Ross took abuse from the stand in Tullamore in the replay.  Couldnt believe it myself, but you'll have assholes in every walk of life. I've heard it from all counties, Kildare men abusing John Doyle, Dublin men abusing Alan Brogan, its just how it goes.

INDIANA

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 08:28:52 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 24, 2015, 04:33:46 PM

Let this sink it

Wicklow
Wexford
Fermanagh
Carlow

And beaten by

Tipperary

I am deciding whether to report your post, it is nasty and mean spirited and not in keeping with the spirit of the GAA.

Portlaoise are not my Club either FYI.

Oh, and its you're, not your.

Work away I could do with a laugh. But you don't own the board so I will comment on whatever topic I like and I won't be asking for your permission

Unlaoised

There is still talent in this bunch and if we can get everyone on board like 2003 we could progress to the last 8 again I feel.

Its not going to be an easy job for the next manager but the first thing he needs to do is get Portlaoise Gaa on board and get the best from the best club team.

I know its up to individuals in that club but something needs to be done to get the best from our best club team.

There are many decent club players out there and a few promising gems coming through like Paul Kingston,Tom Shiel,Evan Keane,Evan O'Carroll,Alan Farrell,Evan Costello,and of course from the minors the talented Sean Moore,Cathal Dunne,and Shane Smyth are also prospects in the making...

How can we give up and say we have no talent or are not good enough..

Donie would get on any team in Ireland including Kerry
Jol and Quigley are as good as most midfield pairings

Timmons,Donoher,Strong,Boyle have still plenty to offer..

Brody is a great young keeper.

Try and stay positive lads!
LAOIS ABÚ