Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 10, 2019, 11:55:56 AM
Waiting on confirmation from Croke Park that they approve the changes, hopefully it'll be given this weekend. As someone whose birthday is on 31st December these changes are long overdue!

You'll still be overage though!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on January 10, 2019, 12:12:56 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 10, 2019, 11:55:56 AM
Waiting on confirmation from Croke Park that they approve the changes, hopefully it'll be given this weekend. As someone whose birthday is on 31st December these changes are long overdue!

You'll still be overage though!

My brother was born on the 1st January!  He was a big hallion as well so it was great for him to be able to push the smaller kids around ;D

Quote from: rory on January 10, 2019, 11:44:05 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 10, 2019, 11:08:27 AM
Quote from: rory on January 10, 2019, 10:16:15 AM
Have Armagh changed their age groups for this year?  U14 is now U14.5 etc.  Heard that and was wondering if it is coming in.  Does it mean U16 is U16.5 and Minor is U18.5?

That's correct Rory. Seems to be following the school years now the way it is up to U12

Personally, I think this is the best way to go.  Fellas get to play with their school year all the way up instead of being split every other year from their peer group and it means that Minors have that extra half year to play at that level (instead of old 7th years having to play adult football)

Although, how does this fit in with the current Croke Park thinking that U17 should be Minor.  Armagh are basically going in the opposite direction.  I've never been a fan of the U17 thing.  I look at some lads who would be moving in to adult football after U17 and think they'll be lost as they haven't matured physically to deal with it and will probably quit.  I know counties are meant to have U20 leagues to keep these kind of boys going, but I can't see those leagues working as a lot of clubs will have 18, 19 and 20 year olds playing for their adult teams and the U20 teams would struggle for numbers. 

Think this is a great decision by Armagh.

While i agree with you in this the difficulty I see is that once the teams go out of Armagh then they lose players.  For instance, the Cross minor team that won this years will only lose 1 player from that team for next years Armagh championship.  If they won the county though they would lose a further 3-4 players for the St Pauls competition.  The same will happen with teams that win at u16 and the McGirr tournament.

Jimmy

I think Tyrone tried to go the under 14/16/18 and a half a while back and it was turned down by Croke Park. The rule book defines the year from the 1st January and they weren't allowed to go against it. Rule 6.17 if anyone is that interested.

Harold Disgracey

Some good news, the motion was approved.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 30, 2019, 03:25:03 PM
Some good news, the motion was approved.

Poor news for some clubs and players.
Feels like some clubs looking for short term gains/success in my opinion.
Pity it was passed at all. Creates a load of issues for clubs and teams in preparing for new season.

In our own club, we enter neighbouring county leagues for more quality games - this makes a mess of preparing and building a team.

One player for example could now be eligible for games at U13, U14.5, and U15 without playing above his age - madness
Its all about the Hurling.

keeperlit

Well, pre season well underway at this stage. Who are people's fancy for the sfc, ifc and Jfc 2019?

Orior

Is it time for all the Kernan's on the Ranger's team to call it a day?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thejuice

Some great goals in that game. Cross looked very shakey at the back.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: thejuice on September 15, 2020, 01:31:41 PM

I wasn't at the game, and only saw the goals, but there was an impression of some very naive defending. I would imagine that there will be a serious inquest in Crossmaglen as to the nature of that defeat and the tactics employed. I'd have to say that I was delighted for Maghery, as they've had more than their fair share of finals defeats.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on September 15, 2020, 06:58:39 PM
Quote from: thejuice on September 15, 2020, 01:31:41 PM

I wasn't at the game, and only saw the goals, but there was an impression of some very naive defending. I would imagine that there will be a serious inquest in Crossmaglen as to the nature of that defeat and the tactics employed. I'd have to say that I was delighted for Maghery, as they've had more than their fair share of finals defeats.

I expect there will be a post mortem on this, the Cross rearguard personnel Hughes, Morgan etc are good enough, so the question has to be on their deployment.
As the minor game this evening showed, if you score 4 goals you will rarely lose a game, and the opposite applies.

armaghniac

Armagh final now online free.
https://armaghgaa.net/football/senior-final-rerun-free-to-view/

It has been 38 years since Rangers were last beaten in an Armagh final, so this is an opportunity to see something rare and unusual.
I'm not sure I will be around in 38 years time.

insidethewhiteline

Laois fan in peace. I'm the creator of the Inside The White Line GAA podcast and this week's guest was 2002 full back Justin McNulty. Hope you don't mind me sharing the podcast. If you wish to follow Inside The White Line on Twitter @insidethewhitel
The podcast looks back on the careers of former GAA players.

Justin: https://soundcloud.com/moore_tomas/episode-20-justin-mcnulty

Conks

Good to see Teak Tough Geezer get a new deal. No better WARRIOR for the job!

TakeTheMark

A long shot considering this board is pretty much a ghost town... but anyway, where would you find the Armagh championship fixtures? The fixtures section of the website doesn't seem to have been updated for the championship since 2020.