Owenmoresider

Quote from: gaastats on March 05, 2017, 08:31:28 AM
League record v Sligo

Last win: 2011 Laois 1-14 Sligo 2-8 in Sligo
Last defeat: 2004 Laois 0-8 Sligo 2-6 in OMP
Last defeat in Sligo: 2001 Laois 0-7 Sligo 0-13
Biggest win: 1991 Laois 1-17 Sligo 0-4 in Port
Biggest defeat: 2001 Laois 0-7 Sligo 0-13 in Sligo
That 2001 game was in Portlaoise not Sligo, seem to recall Mick Lawlor having an altercation with one of the officials that day but I might be wrong, but it definitely was down there.

Markievicz had a pitch inspection and passed so game goes ahead, have had brutal weather up here.

gaastats

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 05, 2017, 10:14:07 AM
Quote from: gaastats on March 05, 2017, 08:31:28 AM
League record v Sligo

Last win: 2011 Laois 1-14 Sligo 2-8 in Sligo
Last defeat: 2004 Laois 0-8 Sligo 2-6 in OMP
Last defeat in Sligo: 2001 Laois 0-7 Sligo 0-13
Biggest win: 1991 Laois 1-17 Sligo 0-4 in Port
Biggest defeat: 2001 Laois 0-7 Sligo 0-13 in Sligo
That 2001 game was in Portlaoise not Sligo, seem to recall Mick Lawlor having an altercation with one of the officials that day but I might be wrong, but it definitely was down there.

Markievicz had a pitch inspection and passed so game goes ahead, have had brutal weather up here.

You're right. Annoyed I got that wrong.

In that case, the last league defeat was in 1972 Laois 0-7 Sligo 0-9.

gaastats

If Laois win today, it will be the first three-in-a-row vs Sligo since a five -in-a-row 1973-1992.

town1980

Loosing meaney killed us I hope I'm wrong but I think we're div 4 doomed

BallyroanAbu

Sligo are abysmal and they beat us,  we can hop out excuses but maybe we need to have a long hard look at ourselves. 

Butch Cassidy

What did Meaney do? Laois were 7 points up when he got the line. You can't afford to have a midfielder and 1 of your more experienced players sent off. Antrim away next is must win

Don Draper

Giovanni

I have no doubt that Meaney won't be very happy with himself tonight.

On the other hand, it is a bit sickening to see the Sligo lad (Murphy I think) going down like he was hit by a haymaker. Meaney did raise an arm for sure but it could hardly be described as a punch. There were 3 or 4 incidents of diving from Sligo players going on during the game which the referee, to be fair, picked up. Meaney did raise an arm and it was quite possiblly a sending off offence but the meal that was made of the foul was pathetic to be honest. Murphy ended up with 4 or 5 points from play after so it didn't affect him too much....

Sligo were really poor in the first half and had it not been for a brilliant save from the Sligo keeper in the first half and a few really bad shot selections from our side, we would have been going in 10 or 11 points up at half time. The two Kingstons were winning everything that went in and Sligo were being continually turned over all over the park (much of which was down to their own ineptitude rather than anything that we were doing).  They got a hammering from Mayo with Aidan O Shea at FF a few years ago and this match looked like it could be a repeat with the Kingstons.

Meaney's dismissal changed the whole complexion of the game and in the second half Sligo were running through us again far too easily. The Kingstons were forced way out the field and, as a result, their influence on the game faded. We continued to make a lot of bad decisions in possession of the ball.

The only silver lining for me was the performance of McMahon and the return of Quigley (who looked rusty at times). Begley went off with what looks like a hamstring. I thought the young lads (apart from Farrell, who did OK but did make a few mistakes) just aren't at the level yet. You'd like to think that management would be learning the lessons at this stage.

Overall, very disappointing. A game we could probably have won easily.

Don Draper

Murphy was smart, Meaney was foolish. Simple as that. Cost us the game.

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Laoisonic

Tough to analyse the game after such a major turning point the sending off was.

Although it would be a completely different game with 15 players for a full 70, very worrying of how disjointed we were in the second half.

We dropped very deep and stood off sligo, understandable given the situation of being a man down. But we lack a serious amount of creativity and although we play a running game, there's no real link up play or set players designated to carry that out.

We were too predictable and ran out of ideas quickly. Then the inevitable happened, they chased down our lead and leave us in a tough position now.

Kingstons looked sharp early on. Echoing what Giovanni said, McMahon was very good. Quigley, Conway and O' Loughlin tried hard but have a little too much to do at times.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 05, 2017, 11:16:35 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on March 05, 2017, 07:23:50 PM
Shameful from Meaney.

That's not an appropriate choice of words
Sure it is. 6 points up, away from home in a must win game. Experienced player on an inexperienced team. I could call it a damn lot worse.

BallyroanAbu

The problem for me is that this is just a repeat of past problems, our defence is poor and while people will talk about Meaney as a turning point.  We are now 3 losses from 4 in Division 3.   This is really poor fare whatever anyone says.  We should have been beaten by Armagh and prob should have won against Sligo so they equate each other.   We really need to stay in Div 3,  championship is only going to be a disaster if we are relegated continously.  People will waffle on about turning it around in championship, you don't usually it's a continuation of league form.  Creedon had an opportunity to build confidence in Div 3,  he hasn't managed that and I fear his reign will be short.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 06, 2017, 07:01:14 AM
The problem for me is that this is just a repeat of past problems, our defence is poor and while people will talk about Meaney as a turning point.  We are now 3 losses from 4 in Division 3.   This is really poor fare whatever anyone says.  We should have been beaten by Armagh and prob should have won against Sligo so they equate each other.   We really need to stay in Div 3,  championship is only going to be a disaster if we are relegated continously.  People will waffle on about turning it around in championship, you don't usually it's a continuation of league form.  Creedon had an opportunity to build confidence in Div 3,  he hasn't managed that and I fear his reign will be short.
Another manager for the Laois chopping block. By god aren't we fierce unlucky we keep getting all these poor managers all the same begorrah.

Laoiseabu

Spot on Ballyroanabu. Another worrying point people seem to be overlooking is Sligo were more or less missing there three best forwards Mark Brehony(wasn't playing), David Kelly ( wasn't playing) Pat Hughes( only fit to play last ten not near full fitness) and there brightest young player Cian Brehony ( not fit only played last ten) 4 main players. And oh yes Brenadan Egan from St Vincent's only played the last 15. A patched up Sligo team.