Ciaran McDonald not named in Mayo panel

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 24, 2008, 08:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Just heard details there of the Mayo panel for championship. Don't have a full list of names but two notable points. James Nallen is in. Ciaran McDonald isn't.
This would appear to signal the end of McD's inter-county career. The end for one of the best players of his generation.
Thanks for the memories Ciaran. You ensured that following Mayo was always entertaining. Its so unfortunate that he ends his career with Mayo without the ultimate success coming his way.
But you will always hold a place in the hearts of Mayo fans and, I'm sure, fans of football all over Ireland.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AFS

Really hope its not the last of him. The man had a ridiculous amount of natural footballing ability and could do things that maybe only 2 or 3 others in the country would even dream of trying. He seemed to be just that wee bit of consistency away from being one the best we've ever seen.

glenullinabu

he'll be back in the summer if they put a run together

mannix

He is know to one of the members on this board who claims he is definetly finished with Mayo.
Unreal, a player of such class left to rust before his time was up.
Lets hope jom and co have some really good plan.

orangeman

It's only April and I'd say we might see him out yet.

INDIANA

i suppose the only thing that would have enticed him back is if mayo were capable of winning another all-ireland- which unfortunately like most counties they aren't. unfortunate to be in the same era as a dominant kerry team.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2008, 11:02:07 AM
i suppose the only thing that would have enticed him back is if mayo were capable of winning another all-ireland- which unfortunately like most counties they aren't. unfortunate to be in the same era as a dominant kerry team.

But for Kerry, Mayo could have had at least one AI at this stage.

magpie seanie

As a Sligo man and with the prospect of facing Mayo if/when we get over London its good news. As a fan of football its bad news. I hope its not the end but don't want to see him facing Sligo again!

SLIGONIAN

This is very good news for Sligo. Hope its true no offence, but couldnt careless about Mayo ;). Any chance of conor mortimer, david heaney and few others calling it a day :P.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

rosnarun

QuoteLets hope jom and co have some really good plan.

Ciaran Was availible for selection.
O mahony has now really piled the pressure on himself.After last years disater and no sign of improvement this year this looks like the action of a a very stupid man. they way mayo folded in most of the league games dipite being obvoiosly the better team points to the lack of leader ship that we only have had Brady and Mcdonald to Provide.
It takes a hell of a lot of blind faith to belive there is a coherent plan. but is that what us mayo fans are famous for
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

Sniper any notable omissions from the League Panel?

Hardy

JimStynes

Hope he's back out for the summer. Great player to watch.

The aussies didnt think so though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEWVajd7hUI

mayoman dan

I hope this is not the end of the line for Ciaran with Mayo but word around the county is  that it is.If Ciaran was available for selection and JOM didnt make contact it WILL come back to haunt him as we are not exactly blessed with natural scoring forwards and i still think Mc Donald has alot to offer.However if we dont see Ciaran in a mayo shirt again we will have plenty of memories.His 2 points against the kingdom in AIF 2004,his point from the sideline against the dubs and the winning point in that epic semi final were good enough to grace any stage.One of if not the best player we have ever produced and a true gentleman.

tyssam5

Fun and all as he is to watch, I think Mayo play better without him.

Should I put that in the 'post something controversial, you believe in' thread?