2021 Tailteann Cup

Started by Angelo, December 22, 2020, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on December 23, 2020, 01:24:34 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 23, 2020, 12:21:08 PM
The hurling minorities in the football Counties are in the main delighted with their tiered Championships.

I remember hearing Derry's Chrissy McKaigue speak about the hurling tiers. He said that it wasn't all so great, and that he wasn't happy that they have ultimately led to the destruction of the Ulster hurling championship. Yes, you might sneer at that, but he has a point.
With all due respects the Ulster Hurling Championship was usually about 3 levels below the Leinster/Munster/AI Championships.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on December 23, 2020, 05:13:05 PM
The hurling minorities in the football Counties are in the main delighted with their tiered Championships.

I remember hearing Derry's Chrissy McKaigue speak about the hurling tiers. He said that it wasn't all so great, and that he wasn't happy that they have ultimately led to the destruction of the Ulster hurling championship. Yes, you might sneer at that, but he has a point.
With all due respects the Ulster Hurling Championship was usually about 3 levels below the Leinster/Munster/AI Championships.

What's your point though?

Antrim are competing in Leinster and McCarthy cup.. is there three levels in the one competition?

I know the Rossies wouldn't know what end to hold on a hurl but have a bitta wit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

It wasn't always that way. Antrim competed well in late 80's and early 90's. As did Down and Derry if I recall.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on December 23, 2020, 01:34:36 PM
€50 in book tokens to each winning panel member as a prize

€20 in book tokens to each member of the losing finalists' panel

Or maybe the GAA could really push the boat out, give each of the winners a nice new Mitsubishi Black Diamond television, with a small Grundig telly for each of the losers

This would drive huge public interest in this Token Cup

Capture the public's imagination, there's huge potential here to promote to promote this pointless losers' competition, make it like a GAA version of Murphy's Micro Quiz-M

Central to this is the idea of the four Ps

Promotion
Placement
Public
Pointless
The all ireland senior football is the same

Promotion
Placement
Public
Pointless

Maybe the GAA needs to bring in decent sports administrators from other sports.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on December 23, 2020, 04:59:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 23, 2020, 04:33:25 PM
Why don't the 31 counties join the Tailteann cup? It would be competitive.
Dublin could find something with Sky, I'm sure.

So you're capitulating on behalf of 31 counties - is that not a bit presumptive?

I'm sure that counties like Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Galway, Meath, Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan, Armagh, Down and others would not be prepared to march behind your white flag.
Meath would

imtommygunn

Late eighties to early noughties ish it was great. Competitive with three winners. The tiered thing did kill it but the backdoor in hurling had already done half that job and it had got to a stage where Antrim were very dominant. Derry gave Offaly a good rattle late noughties and down cork, Antrim tipp, Antrim Wexford etc.

Seafoid after that post you put on that Dublin thread last weekend I don't know why anyone bothers with you. You have gone too far with it and lost all sense of reason.

I do believe in a second tier. I don't know what that means for provincials and the media approach would need to improve for lesser teams.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 23, 2020, 08:04:58 PM

Late eighties to early noughties ish it was great. Competitive with three winners. The tiered thing did kill it but the backdoor in hurling had already done half that job and it had got to a stage where Antrim were very dominant. Derry gave Offaly a good rattle late noughties and down cork, Antrim tipp, Antrim Wexford etc.

Seafoid after that post you put on that Dublin thread last weekend I don't know why anyone bothers with you. You have gone too far with it and lost all sense of reason.

I do believe in a second tier. I don't know what that means for provincials and the media approach would need to improve for lesser teams.

HQ's approach would need to improve for the lesser teams, and their Tier 2 project. First year of it, and look where they pencil in the final ffs.

Even if teams/fans bought into the Tier 2 championship, any attention the final might get would be dwarfed by the likes of a Tipp Kilkenny hurling semi on the same bill. And that's without including other potential matches that weekend.

Would TSG make a big deal at the winners hotel? Manager/captain interviews? MOTM award? I seriously doubt it. The hurling would dominate the evenings program. As it should.

imtommygunn

The Sunday game needs to change imo. The evening show. A load of boys trying to raise their own profile and too much talking.

The day before the all Ireland or something like that would be great.

Angelo

All the way up to the late noughties really.

Sligo won a Connacht in 07.
Wexford in a semi-final in 08.
Down coming from nowhere to a final in 10.

Thereafter the impact of Dublin bankrolling HQ came into being.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on December 23, 2020, 11:59:27 PM

And after those flash in the pans (include, Cavan and Tipp this year please) have they really achieved? Sligo and Wexford were are div 4 teams!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

We got to an Ulster final in 09. Oh wait...

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 24, 2020, 12:46:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 23, 2020, 11:59:27 PM

And after those flash in the pans (include, Cavan and Tipp this year please) have they really achieved? Sligo and Wexford were are div 4 teams!

I think it's obvious what changed. Dublin made the game elite. Small counties can't compete with the resources - be it time, money, facilities, commitment now required to get to Dublin's level.

You could Sligo for instance, they were a very strong county for much of the 00s. Regularly competing for Connacht during that decade, can remember them very vividly knocking Tyrone out in 2002 (Tyrone went on to win Sam the following), the same year they drew with Armagh in the QF and narrowly lost the replay (Armagh went on to win the All Ireland that year). Won a Connacht in 07. Also knocked Kildare out in 2001 a couple of years after Kildare had been in an All Ireland. Should have put Kerry out of the Championship in 09 when they missed a late penalty, Kerry went on to win the All Ireland.

Fermanagh again similar. Lost narrowly to Mayo in an AI SF replay in 04, had beaten Armagh, Cork and Meath among others at that time who were all top 10 counties.  Was it 08 when Fermanagh were extremely close to their first Ulster title, where they drew with Armagh and lost the replay.

We had a good 20 year spell of where every county had realistic ambitions of dreaming at what they could achieve. For the likes of Sligo and Fermanagh back then, an All Ireland wasn't a pipe dream. They genuinely had cause to believe they could go the whole way.

Not anymore though. We all know you are for elitism and the team with all the advantages such as pick, finances, facilities etc should be allowed to preserve those. You are for a golden circle championship which is why you want to resist anyone calling out the imbalances.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL