The Advanced Mark

Started by Angelo, December 14, 2020, 12:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Not sure if there's a thread on it?

I think it's an abomination and has to go. Really unfair on defenders, a forward should have do much more than collect a ball to have a free shot on goal.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

reillycavan

Have to agree. Slows down the game down. Don't know what GAA logic thinking it would add to the game.

J70

They obviously want to encourage more kicking into the forwards.

Personally, I don't see much wrong with it. Accurate kicking and catching are skills we want to reward.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on December 14, 2020, 02:42:47 PM

Personally, I don't see much wrong with it. Accurate kicking and catching are skills we want to reward.

I see a lot wrong with it.

It takes the skills out of the game, a forward now wins the ball and can stop and take a free shot on goal.

Winning the ball is one part of a forward's job, he needs to be able to hold off challenges, take players on, create the space for himself. It takes away all that off the cuff talent that forwards have.

You look at some of the great scores in the past, would they now just be marks? Probably.

reillycavan

I think opposite as teams will bring more bodies behind the ball. Balls was  rarely kicked in with double sweepers patrolling the down. Mayo game v Tipp aside dont see many goal chances.

lenny

Totally agree, the advance mark has been a big success this year. Teams like Cavan and tipp have been successful playing a much more direct game than we've seen in previous seasons. This was surely as a result of the advanced mark. Mayo have been more direct than normal also and have used Aidan o Shea at full forward for good parts of games. It's been exciting to watch.

general_lee

I agree with Angelo. It's a pile of shit. The normal mark is/was bad enough but this advanced mark needs to go. What's the enjoyment in seeing someone execute a great skill like a high catch then immediately stop and hold his hand up? Part of the enjoyment of watching good football is not just the skill itself but the play that it leads to. The advanced mark adds nothing to the game. Shame on these morons who thought it up

From the Bunker

How are marks counted? Are they counted as points from Play or frees?

reillycavan

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 14, 2020, 09:31:12 PM

Frees I'd say

From the Bunker

Quote from: reillycavan on December 14, 2020, 09:50:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 14, 2020, 09:31:12 PM

Frees I'd say

Just checked there in the Dublin/Meath game:

Scorers for Dublin: Dean Rock 1-7 (5fs, 145), Sean Bugler 1-2, Niall Scully 1-1, Ciaran Kilkenny 0-4, Paddy Small 0-3 (2ms), Con O'Callaghan 0-2, Paul Mannion 0-1 (1f), John Small 0-1.

Scorers for Meath: Jordan Morris 0-4 (1f), Thomas O'Reilly 0-1 (1f), Cillian O'Sullivan 0-1, Bryan Menton 0-1, Jason Scully 0-1, Joey Wallace 0-1 (m).

Angelo

Quote from: lenny on December 14, 2020, 07:29:39 PM

Totally agree, the advance mark has been a big success this year. Teams like Cavan and tipp have been successful playing a much more direct game than we've seen in previous seasons. This was surely as a result of the advanced mark. Mayo have been more direct than normal also and have used Aidan o Shea at full forward for good parts of games. It's been exciting to watch.

It has in its f**k. Mayo have used Aidan O'Shea at full forward in the past as he's a good target man, counties had been doing this before the mark. Team had already started to go much more direct again in the last few years before the mark.

It encourages teams to flood back now, majority of marks seem to be called somewhere between the 21 yard line and 45 yard line as teams have dropped back.

The only thing the advanced mark serves to do is dilute the quality of forward player. A forward no longer looks to sell a dummy or take his man on after winning a ball because he gets a free shot a goal.

It also is really unfair on a defender, part of the quality of a good defender is someone who is an excellent shadower, he might allow you get the ball but he's going to make sure you're going nowhere with it after.

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on December 15, 2020, 11:13:33 AM

It has in its f**k. Mayo have used Aidan O'Shea at full forward in the past as he's a good target man, counties had been doing this before the mark. Team had already started to go much more direct again in the last few years before the mark.

It encourages teams to flood back now, majority of marks seem to be called somewhere between the 21 yard line and 45 yard line as teams have dropped back.

The only thing the advanced mark serves to do is dilute the quality of forward player. A forward no longer looks to sell a dummy or take his man on after winning a ball because he gets a free shot a goal.

It also is really unfair on a defender, part of the quality of a good defender is someone who is an excellent shadower, he might allow you get the ball but he's going to make sure you're going nowhere with it after.

You do know that not all kicks forward result in marks and that forwards still have to do these things??

Also your last part is nonsense. That "shadower" thing is part of the modern game when your defence is flooded let the forward win it and pass him off to a forward coming back to defend. It used to be you had to stop your man from getting the ball by getting out in front or reading the play and this is partly getting back to that.

Personally I'm not a massive fan of it but I'd like to see it play out for a year or 2 before I'd pass final judgment. I've yet to see a team really use it as a prolonged defined tactic so it would be interesting if that were to happen.

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on December 15, 2020, 12:04:18 PM

You do know that not all kicks forward result in marks and that forwards still have to do these things??

Also your last part is nonsense. That "shadower" thing is part of the modern game when your defence is flooded let the forward win it and pass him off to a forward coming back to defend. It used to be you had to stop your man from getting the ball by getting out in front or reading the play and this is partly getting back to that.

Personally I'm not a massive fan of it but I'd like to see it play out for a year or 2 before I'd pass final judgment. I've yet to see a team really use it as a prolonged defined tactic so it would be interesting if that were to happen.

They have to all those things a lot less now.

It was never about stop your defender getting the ball. I have heard some amount of nonsense on here but this takes the biscuit. Serious question, have you ever played the game? The first that would be roared at a corner back from the sideline when a ball went to his man was don't foul. If you are marking a good player sometimes you have no option but to let him win that ball and just try to stop him from doing anything with it. The hallmarks of a top class defender is someone who knows when to go for the ball and when to let his man get the ball and hold him up.

It's clear to me that you never played the game. Shadowing has always been a key part in what makes a good defender.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on December 15, 2020, 12:08:41 PM

It was never about stop your defender getting the ball. I have heard some amount of nonsense on here but this takes the biscuit. Serious question, have you ever played the game? The first that would be roared at a corner back from the sideline when a ball went to his man was don't foul. If you are marking a good player sometimes you have no option but to let him win that ball and just try to stop him from doing anything with it. The hallmarks of a top class defender is someone who knows when to go for the ball and when to let his man get the ball and hold him up.

It's clear to me that you never played the game. Shadowing has always been a key part in what makes a good defender.

Jesus!!

If your defender isn't winning primary possession and allowing the attacker to 'have' the ball and hope he takes it off him then I can see you must be looking after a Tyrone club team in Ulster  ;)

The first thing roared at a defender is get out in front and win your f**king ball, the next thing roared from the sideline if he continues to do this is "sub ref"

Allowing an attacker the ball it nuts, if he sprints out and gets the ball out the wing then yes manage the situation, but the forward mark is generally a high ball pumped in and a defender should have time to challenge himself for the ball, and I'd ask the question as to why he isn't touch tight!

As a defender a pumped high ball is a 50/50 in fact it favours a defender.

I'm not for the forward mark btw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2020, 01:57:16 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 15, 2020, 12:08:41 PM

Jesus!!

If your defender isn't winning primary possession and allowing the attacker to 'have' the ball and hope he takes it off him then I can see you must be looking after a Tyrone club team in Ulster  ;)

The first thing roared at a defender is get out in front and win your f**king ball, the next thing roared from the sideline if he continues to do this is "sub ref"

Allowing an attacker the ball it nuts, if he sprints out and gets the ball out the wing then yes manage the situation, but the forward mark is generally a high ball pumped in and a defender should have time to challenge himself for the ball, and I'd ask the question as to why he isn't touch tight!

As a defender a pumped high ball is a 50/50 in fact it favours a defender.

I'm not for the forward mark btw

The first thing roared at a defender is not to foul. Get out in fron leaves you open to getting caught in behind. It doesn't sound like you've played the game but the same as in any sport, you do not get caught in behind, it's unforgivable. Good defenders are trained to be able to shadow their man and be on their tail at all time, if they can get the ball they go for it, if they can't they get tight.

You seem to be saying that defenders are trained to be kamikaze, gung ho nuts who commit for every ball blindly - which is idiotic and the sign of someone who has never played the game or only played junior football maybe.