Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 03, 2009, 09:09:09 PM
Can I be as bold as to ask for some running advice from some of the board's learned road runners?

I'm planning on running a 10k on Sunday next and have been training for it for about a month. My starting point would have been my fitness levels at the end of an injury ravaged season so I started off doing 3km in 15mins and building myself up gradually twice a week and then twice a week I would run 15mins at a higher pace (13.1km/hr up to 13.5 etc).

My target for the 10k is to do it in 50 minutes. I don't know if I want to do it if I can't break 50 minutes. Anyway I thought I was well on course until I hit the road for the first time in this training spell last Friday (stupid I know). I did a 5km run and did it in 23mins 20secs. Not a bad time but I really struggled at the end. The slopes in the run and the cold air was a big change from the treadmill. So too was having to control your speed yourself!

Anyway I tried an 8km run the following day but cramped up and had to turn back after 2km. So I was unsure of whether I'd be able to do the 10km. I did 10km in 50mins tonight on the treadmill but did find it very tough (the furthest I'd run on the treadmill was 40mins and 8kms the Tues before) and was thinking that if I was on the road I would stop!

So my question - can I realistically hope to do 10km in 50 mins on Sunday? Is it a mental thing with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you can do 10k on the threadmill, then 10k on the road would be no bother. The threadmill is the most boring of boring things... ever.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

haranguerer

Quote from: Orior on November 03, 2009, 09:37:02 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 03, 2009, 09:09:09 PM
Can I be as bold as to ask for some running advice from some of the board's learned road runners?

I'm planning on running a 10k on Sunday next and have been training for it for about a month. My starting point would have been my fitness levels at the end of an injury ravaged season so I started off doing 3km in 15mins and building myself up gradually twice a week and then twice a week I would run 15mins at a higher pace (13.1km/hr up to 13.5 etc).

My target for the 10k is to do it in 50 minutes. I don't know if I want to do it if I can't break 50 minutes. Anyway I thought I was well on course until I hit the road for the first time in this training spell last Friday (stupid I know). I did a 5km run and did it in 23mins 20secs. Not a bad time but I really struggled at the end. The slopes in the run and the cold air was a big change from the treadmill. So too was having to control your speed yourself!

Anyway I tried an 8km run the following day but cramped up and had to turn back after 2km. So I was unsure of whether I'd be able to do the 10km. I did 10km in 50mins tonight on the treadmill but did find it very tough (the furthest I'd run on the treadmill was 40mins and 8kms the Tues before) and was thinking that if I was on the road I would stop!

So my question - can I realistically hope to do 10km in 50 mins on Sunday? Is it a mental thing with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you can do 10k on the threadmill, then 10k on the road would be no bother. The threadmill is the most boring of boring things... ever.

try running along that f**king westlink...

RedandGreenSniper

Cheers lads. The help is greatly appreciated. I'm shattered now after the 10k in the gym but hugely encouraged now after reading yer comments! I'll give it a go I think and see what happens. The mental battle will be the biggest obstacle for me. Need to start concentrating on that.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

imtommygunn

It is much easier in a race. People will carry you along and you'll have targets etc. so if you can do it on treadmill I'd be pretty sure you could run it.

I did the Westlink 5k - couldn't stomach 10k of it... Strange feeling running along a 3 or 4 lane motorway on your own. Actually finished 4th in it but there weren't too many in it. One guy appeared out of nowhere - still reckon he cheated and I was top 3 really...

Orior

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 03, 2009, 10:34:57 PM
It is much easier in a race. People will carry you along and you'll have targets etc. so if you can do it on treadmill I'd be pretty sure you could run it.

I did the Westlink 5k - couldn't stomach 10k of it... Strange feeling running along a 3 or 4 lane motorway on your own. Actually finished 4th in it but there weren't too many in it. One guy appeared out of nowhere - still reckon he cheated and I was top 3 really...

Careful - he might be looking over your shoulder now!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

haranguerer

thats good going tommy, what time was that?

imtommygunn

The 5k was short. It was sub 18 I did but on a measured course my best is 18:12.

There genuinely wasn't very many in it - not as big an achievement as it sounds!

Dinny Breen

My boss at home has really taken up running...

Without reading back through this can anyone recommend some decent accessories that one could buy for Christmas?

#newbridgeornowhere

Canalman

Tip for jogging (which I hate anyway) is to jog away from home until you are shagged, then jog home after a short break (you have no option). Great way of motivating yourself if (like me) that is a problem.

Caid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 02, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
can anyone recommend some decent accessories that one could buy for Christmas?

Cuff links
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

ballinaman

Nice race in calry outside sligo town on Saturday at 12pm if anyone is interested. 6km with a bit of a twist, no watches and you predict your time before the race and the person who finishes closest to their prediction wins.

muppet

Quote from: Canalman on December 02, 2009, 03:55:41 PM
Tip for jogging (which I hate anyway) is to jog away from home until you are shagged, then jog home after a short break (you have no option). Great way of motivating yourself if (like me) that is a problem.

The last time I did that I got a taxi home and swore I'd never jog again.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

For anybody about the area this weekend that have been doing a bit of training.

The first ever River Moy Half Marathon takes place this Sunday in Ballina. It s a grand course and if weather conditions are reasonable it should n't be too difficult. In fact times should be very good. For slower runners there s plenty of scenery to look at. There are some seriously nice views and a mile or more through a forest pathway. A lot of the runners will be novices.

ONeill

Back to the running again - have this app for the phone and the blade on it talks to you regarding pace, time, distance and all that. However, you need earphones to hear her and any earphones I use seem to just fall out. I mightn't have any earlobes. Can anyone recommend earphones for running?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

And nothing like this:

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.