Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Orior on October 25, 2009, 10:11:34 PM
1984 - Belfast Marathon - 3 hrs 15 mins
1985 - Newry 10k - 34mins 20 secs  :)
1985 - North Belfast 15 mile - 1 hour 32 mins
2000 - Centenary mile - 6 mins 0 secs  :(

Thats serious going Orior, that 10k time. Doing my first race in two weeks, a local 10k and aiming to beat 50 mins for it. Could be a struggle but really getting the running bug I must admit. And harder to get injured than football, especially when I pull something practically every time I kick the ball  :(
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: Orior on October 25, 2009, 10:11:34 PM
1984 - Belfast Marathon - 3 hrs 15 mins
1985 - Newry 10k - 34mins 20 secs  :)
1985 - North Belfast 15 mile - 1 hour 32 mins
2000 - Centenary mile - 6 mins 0 secs  :(

Orior that was some pounding to run a marathon in that time. Belfast is very hilly as well which makes your 3 hr 15 mins even more impresive. If that was a down hill course you might have beat the 3 hr mark. Ran Chicago two weeks ago as a bandit. Very enjoyable marathon but not one for a PB.

Orior

Those were in my harrier days, after I gave up the football (or rather it gave me up).

I was doing 40-60 mile a week. I cycled to work and did a 6 or 8 training run at lunch time. Then I joined County Antrim harriers, and would train with them one night a week, and cross country on a Saturday. Managed it all for two years then got injured and never recovered.

Nowadays I can only manage 3 mile in 24 mins.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

theskull1

must have been a bad injury orior to have not come back from? Did you get gang raped on a forest run?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Orior

Quote from: theskull1 on October 26, 2009, 09:43:58 AM
must have been a bad injury orior to have not come back from? Did you get gang raped on a forest run?

Yes and yes. (A type of stress fracture, and I got married)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

You do any running skull? I think I may have spotted you at a few races if I have your identity right...

ONeill

That's my mission now. Probably end in tears but going to find out how fast I can possibly do a 1-miler, with a mid-30s body ravished with stout and fries.

So 6mph = 10 mins
12 mph = 5 mins
9mph = 7.5 mins

I cannot see myself breaking 7, ever.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

O'Neill -  8mph = 7.5 mins a mile.

It's all down to practice unfortunately, and lots of it. I'm as slow as any man who ever walked a football field but can get down to 6.5 min miles for 3-4 miles when I put my mind and body to it.

ONeill

Sorry, so 9mph = 6.5 min, 8.6 = 7?

Will try 8.6 tomorrow (treadmill) and she how far I get without keeling.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2009, 09:58:59 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 25, 2009, 09:46:38 PM
What's everyone favourite distance and their personal best time?
0.5mm
14.32 secs.

Hardtation this is a question about running.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

I ll try to put these times in some sort of context. I never ran a race until this year until I wound back my involvement in football. Mid forties and I drink too much and still smoke a bit as well.

10k 46.40
4 miles 28.50
half-marathon 1hr 53 - I calved badly at the end of that one. Had only done 10 miles in training.
I m jacking the fags and aiming to improve those times. I know now I ll have to do a marathon. A year ago that would have seemed less likely than a trip to the moon.

imtommygunn

It'a practise to a point.

Basically train your cardio system first and then worry about the speed from there once it's trained.

You need to learn to run slow before you can run fast...

muppet

21 years ago I ran a 5 mile road race in just under 30 minutes.

Now I would need cardiac massage after 30 metres.
MWWSI 2017

bcarrier

Moysider your times are good ...running your age for 10k is a good target. I am waiting until I am 50 :).

My running career peaked at U-8 level.

theskull1

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 26, 2009, 04:18:33 PM
It'a practise to a point.

Basically train your cardio system first and then worry about the speed from there once it's trained.

You need to learn to run slow before you can run fast...

Not according to this article tommy

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/building-speed-and-endurance
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera