Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 18, 2009, 01:05:20 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2009, 01:03:17 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 18, 2009, 09:24:44 AM
Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2009, 12:14:15 AM
The fcukers have me down at 58 on the website. That probably includes waiting for a minute and a half at the start before actually moving.

For a while I though he was a she

The times have now been updated

That's more like it!

what was your time?

56 something. Shite enough but probably fair enough for what I'm doing. Need to step up the roadwork. Would like to break 50 by the end of the summer.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

naka

wouldnt worry about the web time, i had a watch which timed me at  just over 50 mins yet the web had me at just over 51 mins

Main Street

I wouldn't want to pee on anybody's parade and not in a situation where honest effort was made but are you talking about 10km or 10 miles in the time of 56 minutes?

naka

jjjshabadoojnr

I got the very same DVD (well, actually I downloaded it through torrents). Also the tri club in my area had pool swims every friday night, and the instructor had spent weeks in the US perfecting the TI method. He was already a top class swimmer anyway (always first to finish the swim in mulloughmore and rosses point) but reckoned TI improved him big time. So he was trying to teach us this new method. I've definitely improved alot on the swim (as you say it allows you to swim long distances without getting too tired), but it's still my weak point by a long way.

The 5k in mulloughmore is a tough little run - straight from Bike onto a tough uphill for nearly half the route. Downhill then but another slight uphill to finish. Have already done it in 22-23mins but during a triathlon, im sure it'll be a different story, will find out saturday.
[/quote]
Im doing the Mullagh Tri myself on Saturday Steve. First one, getting pretty aprehensive now as I hav never swam in a large group before. Bracing myself for shoulders, elbows and feet in the head!! What time are you hoping for? Obviously weather dependant, but weather promised good, stiff westerly wind predicted though.

stevo-08

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on June 18, 2009, 05:51:40 PM

I got the very same DVD (well, actually I downloaded it through torrents). Also the tri club in my area had pool swims every friday night, and the instructor had spent weeks in the US perfecting the TI method. He was already a top class swimmer anyway (always first to finish the swim in mulloughmore and rosses point) but reckoned TI improved him big time. So he was trying to teach us this new method. I've definitely improved alot on the swim (as you say it allows you to swim long distances without getting too tired), but it's still my weak point by a long way.

The 5k in mulloughmore is a tough little run - straight from Bike onto a tough uphill for nearly half the route. Downhill then but another slight uphill to finish. Have already done it in 22-23mins but during a triathlon, im sure it'll be a different story, will find out saturday.

Im doing the Mullagh Tri myself on Saturday Steve. First one, getting pretty aprehensive now as I hav never swam in a large group before. Bracing myself for shoulders, elbows and feet in the head!! What time are you hoping for? Obviously weather dependant, but weather promised good, stiff westerly wind predicted though.

Time??? jaysus, im not really sure, really slow on the swim. If i did it in 1hr40 (25 swim, 45 bike, 25 run + few mins in transitions), then i'd be delighted. But it's my first tri, so in truth could take me anywhere between 1h40 - 2hrs.

Dont worry bout westerly wind, mulloughmore is well sheltered so expect a calm enough swim. Although they f**ked up the start times and the tide will be completely out, so you could be running for 200m in shallow waters at the start. At first i thought that would be good cos im a weak swimmer, but i tried running into the water during the week and it takes alot out of you. So if you see somebody taking a nice slow walk at the back of the group, that'll be me...

What sort of time do you think you'll get??

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 18, 2009, 08:59:00 PM
Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on June 18, 2009, 05:51:40 PM

Time??? jaysus, im not really sure, really slow on the swim. If i did it in 1hr40 (25 swim, 45 bike, 25 run + few mins in transitions), then i'd be delighted. But it's my first tri, so in truth could take me anywhere between 1h40 - 2hrs.

Dont worry bout westerly wind, mulloughmore is well sheltered so expect a calm enough swim. Although they f**ked up the start times and the tide will be completely out, so you could be running for 200m in shallow waters at the start. At first i thought that would be good cos im a weak swimmer, but i tried running into the water during the week and it takes alot out of you. So if you see somebody taking a nice slow walk at the back of the group, that'll be me...

What sort of time do you think you'll get??

Jesus I dont know what time to expect. Anywhere between 1.30 and 1.25. All very well doing good times training for the individual components, but different putting them togetehr. Takes serious amount of time for my legs to loosen up following the bike. Only hitting my natural stride near the last 2 k of the run. Can do 16 mins, 42 mins 21 mins on events individually but sure we will see. Would love to break the 1.25 mark.
Only live up the road from Mullagh and if the wind stays in the direction its going now the first half of the bike will be a complete bitch. Hope the weather changes form what we have this morning!! See the guy steamed in the pier head after the race , that il be me!!

DennistheMenace

I'd love to do that tri ^ (I've never done one before) but I'm a very poor swimmer, do they allow arm bands ?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: hardstation on June 20, 2009, 01:18:54 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 20, 2009, 01:13:33 AM
I'd love to do that tri ^ (I've never done one before) but I'm a very poor swimmer, do they allow arm bands ?
I asked the same question. They said, "Whatever floats your boat".

Excellent! The missus/blow-up doll is coming then.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Main Street on June 18, 2009, 01:46:34 PM
I wouldn't want to pee on anybody's parade and not in a situation where honest effort was made but are you talking about 10km or 10 miles in the time of 56 minutes?

What sort of a question is that......is it Monaghan or Mozambique you're from  :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

stevo-08

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 18, 2009, 08:59:00 PM
If i did it in 1hr40 (25 swim, 45 bike, 25 run + few mins in transitions), then i'd be delighted. But it's my first tri, so in truth could take me anywhere between 1h40 - 2hrs.

Well, I completed the course in 1hr 28mins (23 swim, 40 T1+Bike, 1.26 T2, 23 Run).
Absolutely delighted with that. The swim as expected was a disaster, but huge room for improvement.

How did you get on jjjshabadoo??

Great days craic and very well organised. Roll on Ballina in 3 weeks, which is an easier route so hopefully I can better my time.

Mayo4Sam

Steve-08 looks like we'll be in direction competition, u'll find the swim in Ballina way easier, with the current, i took 2 minutes off my time between kilcock and athy even though athy was 750m and kilcock was only 500m.

Dennisthemenace you'd be amazed the difference a wetsuit makes, in the sea you can stand up and do nothing and still float, its unbelievable, i'm not the best threader of water but its no bother with this
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stevo-08

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 22, 2009, 10:21:39 PM
Steve-08 looks like we'll be in direction competition, u'll find the swim in Ballina way easier, with the current, i took 2 minutes off my time between kilcock and athy even though athy was 750m and kilcock was only 500m.

ah, nothing like a healthy bit of Sligo Mayo competition to add a bit of spice to the event. ;)  Hope your right about the swim, I thought I'd never get out of that pond in Mulloughmore. At one stage I think I was heading way out to sea.

Anyway, hopefully the ballina event is as enjoyable as mulloughmore. Really looking forward to it.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 22, 2009, 11:12:56 PM

ah, nothing like a healthy bit of Sligo Mayo competition to add a bit of spice to the event. ;) 

Be the only this year  ;D
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stevo-08

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 22, 2009, 11:16:44 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on June 22, 2009, 11:12:56 PM

ah, nothing like a healthy bit of Sligo Mayo competition to add a bit of spice to the event. ;) 

Be the only this year  ;D

:D :D
ah, dont throw in the towel just yet. I think yiz will give us a bit of a game in the connacht final  ;)