Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

You can say that again Bingo. Tried a few 400 repeats yesterday, only managed 5 because the hamstrings were screaming at me....hell a lot of work to be done. For the next few weeks going to look at maybe 3 sessions a week, 2 x speed, 1 by short tempo.

I see they have set up one of those park run events in Malahide castle grounds every Saturday morning, free timed 5K at 9.30am, starting this weekend.

What are they like Milltown? You doing them in Belfast? What sort of numbers turn up?

imtommygunn

BM there are now 7 parkruns in NI. I'd have helped out a good bit with the waterworks one for the first year. It gets ~130/140 people a week. A few of them have lower numbers mind you (sometimes < 50) but there are 4 in Belfast and with races etc some weekends numbers are a bit lower but there's a core crowd that go to any of them. Two have 100+ every week, one is <50 and one is about 60 or 70. The ones outside Belfast are pretty decently attended as well.

Great event - just turn up with the barcode and away you go.

It's hard to get going at that time of the morning mind you. Usually you get maybe a dozen quick(ish) guys in it so always good for a workout.

What date is that 5k? I wouldn't mind doing a 5k pre end of year but there's a few cross countries I need to make a show for so not sure if it fits.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on November 05, 2012, 04:37:12 PM
You can say that again Bingo. Tried a few 400 repeats yesterday, only managed 5 because the hamstrings were screaming at me....hell a lot of work to be done. For the next few weeks going to look at maybe 3 sessions a week, 2 x speed, 1 by short tempo.

I see they have set up one of those park run events in Malahide castle grounds every Saturday morning, free timed 5K at 9.30am, starting this weekend.

What are they like Milltown? You doing them in Belfast? What sort of numbers turn up?

I was told to take it very easy after the marathon but was thinking I was fine. Another lesson learned. I'll chance a run on Wednesday and if it goes well with work it into some tempe running with a speed session next if that goes well. Won't be forcing it for fear of damage.

The hardened lads up here are looking at tipping down to the Clonakility Marathon on 8th December, I was asked along but defo not going to push myself so soon. But we are looking at possibly Paris Marathon i April.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 05, 2012, 05:03:04 PM
BM there are now 7 parkruns in NI. I'd have helped out a good bit with the waterworks one for the first year. It gets ~130/140 people a week. A few of them have lower numbers mind you (sometimes < 50) but there are 4 in Belfast and with races etc some weekends numbers are a bit lower but there's a core crowd that go to any of them. Two have 100+ every week, one is <50 and one is about 60 or 70. The ones outside Belfast are pretty decently attended as well.

It's hard to get going at that time of the morning mind you. Usually you get maybe a dozen quick(ish) guys in it so always good for a workout.

What date is that 5k? I wouldn't mind doing a 5k pre end of year but there's a few cross countries I need to make a show for so not sure if it fits.

Sounds good to me. I registered there and will bring the barcode with me, probably will be Saturday week though before I get over to it. Fair play for organising them, sounds like a great idea. Probably will take a few weeks to take off but I'm sure there is an appetite for them in Dublin.
5K in Castleblaney on 2nd December. Fast and well organised course by all counts, bingo is your man for further details.

Jaysus, thats some going. I watched that movie about the lads running in the Sahara the last day, don't know how the Ultra lads do it one day after another.,Paris is supposed to be great, bit more attractive than Rotterdam which is around the same time as far as I know. Ya, legs were shot yesterday, felt grand jogging but as soon as put the foot down felt them big time.

Bingo

Them waterworks runs and now the Dublin ones are great ideas. In the run up to the 5km run we are having, we have the Operation  Tranfaughmation programme to get people out and more active - weekly circuit classes, another weekly class (Pilates, boxercise, bootcamp etc) and then sunday morning is running groups. On a dirty wet, cold morning yesterday we had over 80 there. Fierce appetite for it at the minute.

Those guys would have serious miles in the legs and they say they body adjusts and expects that to be maintained. If you ever read Gerry Duffys book on the 32 marathons, he says his quickest marathon was on the second last day, 3hrs 17 or something. Totally conditioned to it. I'd be a long way off!

Rotterdam is a lovely fast course according to one of the guys who done it this year but doesn't have the same atmosphere of the big city or the nice host city ambience. I'll follow the crowd at this stage anyway.

imtommygunn

Your body would harden to the marathon. There was a boy up here ran 2:42 in snowdonia marathon on the sarurday and ran 2:40 something (2:46 or something like that) on the Monday in Dublin.

There's boys pace 3 hours too and it takes nothing from them. It's basically that you harden to miles over the years.

Rois

Loving the Parkrun, as is my bf and bro in law. I am now doing sub-25 and started off at 28.30.

Of couse I bring the boy with me on wk 2 and he breaks 19...

It'll soon be time for me to volunteer.

Orior

Quote from: Rois on November 05, 2012, 09:21:29 PM
Loving the Parkrun, as is my bf and bro in law. I am now doing sub-25 and started off at 28.30.

Of couse I bring the boy with me on wk 2 and he breaks 19...

It'll soon be time for me to volunteer.

I'm expecting to be back at the Parkrun once the snow and ice kicks in and the golf course is closed. Sub 25 is where I left off, but I expect to be 28+ when I return  :(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ballinaman

Ankle hasn't been right since the day after the marathon, sore along the inside with any sort of calf stretch. Tested it out twice and I think I've got to face that its a bit more serious than a bit of an ache post marathon.
Had a proper look at it myself and looks like it posterior tibial tendonitis. Balls. Nasty lil f*cker to clear up.
Going to complete rest for 2 weeks and get stuck into treatment for it. Will see how it goes. Might be ok for Castleblaney 5k hopefully.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on November 07, 2012, 04:36:13 PM
Ankle hasn't been right since the day after the marathon, sore along the inside with any sort of calf stretch. Tested it out twice and I think I've got to face that its a bit more serious than a bit of an ache post marathon.
Had a proper look at it myself and looks like it posterior tibial tendonitis. Balls. Nasty lil f*cker to clear up.
Going to complete rest for 2 weeks and get stuck into treatment for it. Will see how it goes. Might be ok for Castleblaney 5k hopefully.

That sounds nasty (No idea what it is!!), you're in good hands anyway  :) Hope it wasn't the run the day after the marathon that done it.

I went to a circuits class last night, was a tight one, lot of Lunges, dips, squats and press-ups etc but actually feel better for it today, apart from tight groins, feel more loosened out any other time since the marathon. Pilates Friday night and then some reps at weekend.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on November 07, 2012, 04:45:17 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 07, 2012, 04:36:13 PM

That sounds nasty (No idea what it is!!), you're in good hands anyway  :) Hope it wasn't the run the day after the marathon that done it.

I went to a circuits class last night, was a tight one, lot of Lunges, dips, squats and press-ups etc but actually feel better for it today, apart from tight groins, feel more loosened out any other time since the marathon. Pilates Friday night and then some reps at weekend.
Don't think it was, say it was towards the latter stages of the race when i put the foot down. F*ck it sure, better to happen then than a week before. Ha, true...better listen to my own advice now! It's a common enough problem with distance running, small muscle that controls movement of foot on foot strike that get overworked and tight, tendonitis is the release valve of that pressure then!
Good stuff, the cross training is the job. Thats all I'll be doing and a bit of TRX too. Pain in the arse but shit happens!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 05, 2012, 05:03:04 PM

The one on Saturday had 172 runners going at it. Deputy Lord Mayor handing out medals and McKillop there also handing out prizes.

Great wee run for a 9.30 start to the day.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

You not fancy the falls park one mr? It could be doing with the help with numbers as one of the lower attended ones...

imtommygunn

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/falls/

That should be all you need hs. Just get a barcode, turn up and run. Good wee event. That one could be doing with more numbers too though it gets 30-40 per week.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 07, 2012, 11:13:48 PM
You not fancy the falls park one mr? It could be doing with the help with numbers as one of the lower attended ones...

Aye might give it a go some morning, it's just that the Waterworks one is closer and i go to a class at the gym straight afterwards, timing would be difficult.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea