Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 11:08:25 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 01, 2012, 10:06:09 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Tony,my wife said I'd never do it,now I have two people too prove wrong  :)
I'm gonna give it a lash too. Having a last couple of glasses of wine and some crisps. A new me starts tomorrow. Or Tuesday.
Bought a pair of Asics there at lunch time so I have no excuses now.
I ate  3 easter eggs over weekend(3 for €5 in Tesco!) so gonna start again tonight with Day 1 Week 1 and do it for next 8 weeks.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on April 02, 2012, 02:27:15 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Tony,my wife said I'd never do it,now I have two people too prove wrong  :)
I'm gonna give it a lash too. Having a last couple of glasses of wine and some crisps. A new me starts tomorrow. Or Tuesday.
I ate  3 easter eggs over weekend(3 for €5 in Tesco!) so gonna start again tonight with Day 1 Week 1 and do it for next 8 weeks.

Fair play and best of luck. Don't be scared of rewarding yourself during it, can help the motivation at times!

Hope you availed of the scrappage scheme for the asics.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on April 02, 2012, 02:36:40 PM

Fair play and best of luck. Don't be scared of rewarding yourself during it, can help the motivation at times!

What scrappage scheme?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on April 02, 2012, 02:23:00 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2012, 02:10:57 PM
Sound Bingo, think i might have to give it a miss seeing as the Ballina half marathon is on the saturday, have to give it a right go this year. Was my first ever half last year and did it in 1.33....should clip a nice bit off it this year anyways. Looking at the Boyne 10km in Drogheda on May 6th, anyone ever do it? Heard it supposed to be hilly enough.

I'm suppose to be doing the Boyne 10km on the 6th. Its a bit close to the Dundalk half, so have to decide yet. More obliged to the Boyne 10km as a friend is doing a run from Claremorris to Drogheda in 5 days - a marathon a day in July. Its for The Tania McCabe foundation and the charity also host the Boyne 10km, so he is been introduced at the 10km and asked if we'd be on hand to support him as his fundraising kicks off. He was in alot of the national papers on it last week.

I would imagine that their is a few hills in it as Drogheda is more of less on a hill. But i think alot of it is run by the Boyne itself, so that should mean its largely flat. 33mins won it last year.

Having another craic at a 5km this Monday, back in Dundalk as well.
Cool, I think i'll give it a run, be nice to have the samsung 10km and another one in the legs before the half marathon, good to know where i'm at. I'd be happy to donate if you drop us a PM.

Fair play LL, we'll have you hooked yet!

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2012, 03:10:00 PM

What scrappage scheme?
25% asics runners in lifestyle sports when you bring in an old pair (any brand) to be recycled. Savage deal, got the 2070's on Saturday. Offer ends at the end of the week.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2012, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2012, 03:10:00 PM

What scrappage scheme?
25% asics runners in lifestyle sports when you bring in an old pair (any brand) to be recycled. Savage deal, got the 2070's on Saturday. Offer ends at the end of the week.

That's a fair deal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Day 1 Week 1: Downloaded App.

Pretty wrecked.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on April 03, 2012, 06:04:16 PM
Day 1 Week 1: Downloaded App.

I'll keep you updated.

I started on Day 1 again.
Downloaded a different app and it's much tougher than other. 60secs run 90secs walk for 30mins for week 1. Other app was 30secs run 4mins walk so was a bit too handy.
Day 1 Week 1 done last night 4.8km between running and walking in 33mins. Day 2 tomorrow night.

laoislad

Didn't know there was a scrappage scheme.
The pair I got were €50 down from €75 in Elverys .
Asics Gel Enduro 7 with a nice black and orange combo colour scheme!
Didn't want to spend a fortune in case I quit half way through. :-[

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2012, 02:10:57 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 01, 2012, 10:29:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 01, 2012, 10:05:24 AM
Well done bingo, last weekends race would have taken zip out of the legs for the last few km's alright. I remember reading somewhere that it roughly takes a day per mile raced to recover fully.

Is the Dundalk half on a Wednesday?? What time does it start?

I'll well believe it. I had planned to do a few km on rhursday or Friday to stretch the legs and open the lungs but couldn't get out.

The half is on 9th of may, it's an evening run alright. By all accounts it's a flat course on a circuit that is run twice. 10km on same night.
Sound Bingo, think i might have to give it a miss seeing as the Ballina half marathon is on the saturday, have to give it a right go this year. Was my first ever half last year and did it in 1.33....should clip a nice bit off it this year anyways. Looking at the Boyne 10km in Drogheda on May 6th, anyone ever do it? Heard it supposed to be hilly enough.

i was half thinking of doing this Ballinaman . Ran 16k the other day and didn't feel too bad . Is it a tough route ? I thought that 45yo yo's entry fee is a bit steep but maybe it's the going rate for these events.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ballinaman

45yoyos is about right, you get a very generous goody bag in fairness to them and the t-shirt is decent too. It's well organised and the chip timing is good too. I did it last year for the 1st time and was impressed. It's a good course too, starts at the rugby club, up the quay...right at bridge and up hill by milk factory, under the arch and out onto kilala road...right at the half way house and back the back road until you take a left where its a 2 mile section through the woods. Up by soccer club and track and back down to the rugby club again!

mannix

Ballina half marathon!  Any chance they will extend it to be a full marathon in the future? How many people run in this? Deel, if you ran 16 k, you are well able to do it.

ballinaman

226 last year, say there will be close to 400 hundred this year. Big crowd come over from Leeds, they had 30 last year and more of the same again. I'd say they'll keep it to the half marathon only.

laoislad

Im nowhere near even thinking about running anything like that! but do you have to be a member of a running club to enter these events?

Rois

laoislad, I went from a standing start in May to training for and running the Dublin half marathon (which incidentally was €24 or something like that to enter) in September.   

The Dublin marathon series is pretty useful as they build up through a few events starting with a 5 mile, then a 10k, then a 10 mile, half marathon and then full marathon, all based around Dublin.

Of course I didn't run from September to March, so I am now having to start all over again!